For 200 quid what can i get?

Clarkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
as above, i want a full set of speakers to go with my amp, i have 200 quid to spend, and i have some extra set aside for wall brackets and cabling.
So, what should I buy?

CheerZ

Clarkey :)

You´re going to struggle a bit getting a full set of decent speakers for 200 quid. Pop on down to your local Richer Sounds or check out their website www.richersounds.com

If it was my money I´d buy the Kef Crestas, Centre for 50 quid, a pair of Cresta 1´s as rears- 50 quid and a pair of Cresta 3´s as fronts - 120 quid, a little bit over your budget. You´ll also need a sub at some point as well, add one at a later date maybe??

As Jase says, for £200 it is going to be REALLY tough to get something. If there is anyway you can increase the budget or wait and save up I would. If not, then Jases suggestion would surely be a good one. Well, he has never put me wrong yet.

Mind you, there was the time with that GoldStar......:D

hmm, richers have some very cheap deals, such as the eltax DX50 set for 80 quid!!! :eek: Im not in for some totally amazing kit, just something cheap and cheerful, would something like that be totally crap and leave me dissapointed? Also I have a very small room, so im not in need for something huge, like what i have now ;)

ok, ive come up with 3 setups that look reasonable within my budget, here goes:

KEF Cresta Centre - 50

KEF cresta 1 - 50

KEF Cresta 2 - 80

Total - 180

Eltax Silverstone 3-pack - 100

Eltax Symphony 4.2SE - 50

Total - 150

Eltax Monitor Centre - 50

Eltax Symphony 4.2SE 50

Eltax Symphony 4.2SE 50

Total - 150

What do you think about any of those then?

Thanx

Hi

Don´t really know the Eltax stuff, so I´d stick with the Kef´s myself. You´ll still need a sub at some time in the future though.

Agree with Jase. Had no first hand experience but KEF seems to the choice in these ranges.....

Eltax appears to be very underrated in the UK. Liberty5+ is exellent value for money (although watch out for cabinet finishes that are not up to scratch).I'm by no means recomending them over Crestas,just suggesting an alternative.Try and get a listen to both.

Why not get the front speakers and add rears at a later date, when spending, do it in stages as later on you will want to replace the whole lot and end up spending more to get what you want. it worked for me, it an option if anything else.

I got a pair of second hand KEF Q15's today for £80 and i have another pair lined up at £75 and the ones i have sound absolutly incredible for the money. you should consider secondhand equiptment and also it will be run in for you :D

As for eltax stuff, i demo'ed an amp in richer sounds recently and i was listening to some eltax rears (bi-polar), i was very impressed with the clarity and vibrance for £80....... I seam to have a thing for £80 gear...tightass!!:p

good luck with your hunt.

I have the cresta range. 2's front, 1's rear, 'c' centre and a kef psw1000 sub. All good stuff for the price. Very clear as well. Although r.sounds advertise good prices you may have to ring around to find some in stock (and prepared to travel). Have you accounted for stands. Mine are on nexus jobs but are £60 a pair:eek: more than the speakers :D

Oh yeah..p.s. don't worry to much about not having a sub right away. Although mine may need a bit / a lot more setting up, it doesn't seem to "come in" that often. Only on mega explosions and the big firery thing on lord of the rings. The 2's seem quite bassy(?) :rolleyes: Could live without it so far anyway.

Originally posted by Clarkey
as above, i want a full set of speakers to go with my amp, i have 200 quid to spend, and i have some extra set aside for wall brackets and cabling.
So, what should I buy?

CheerZ

Clarkey :)

Why not buy secondhand from the classifieds?
(you can have mine for £200) most of the stuff will be in good condition and youll get mutch better value :)

Just echoing dts_boy in more detail...

Do you really want surround sound?

I know that surround sound is really fashionable at the moment but stereo sound is really underated. At the moment I have an Arcam A85 amplifier for stereo and an Arcam AVR100 for surround purposes. Something which I don't often admit is that for almost all of my TV watching I don't even bother to turn on the surround amp.

I find the extra clarity and full range ability (only have B&W CC6 S2 centre) of the stereo amp setup makes up for any surround effect for normal stereo recordings. With stuff that is properly Dolby Surround it's more of a toss up.

OK, so I've spent quite a bit on my stereo set-up and I don't yet have Dolby ProLogic II but you may find that at your budget good stereo sound will outperform cheaper surround - a very subjective judgement to make though.

£200 will get you a really nice pair of speakers. Mission m72 + mounting / stands spring to mind though I'm not sure exactly what they'd come to. If you can stretch to £250 B&W 601 are really nice. I think Wharfdale do some standmounts for £200 too though I haven't actually heard these.

Then in X months time you can add m7c1(2?) + m7ds to complete the setup (or whatever make you've gone for). If you go for a complete setup now at £200 you're next upgrade will probably be to replace the lot rather than upgrade what you've got.

Just a thought, feel free to ignore.

Charles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom