Footy on a Plasma - help needed to defeat the wife !!!

G

gcgoldchristoph

Go easy - Iam a newbie to this plasma thing.

Wanting to get a plasma, read loads of threads on AV forum. Coming to the conclusion that a Panasonic TH-42PWD6 is best option for my budget. Nearly got the wife convinced, go to John Lewis in Newcastle on Saturday and it all goes pear-shaped!!

England match being shown on various CRT Tv's , reasonable picture. DVD being shown on Plasmas (Pioneer Panny & Sony - PQ fantastic (to our untrained eyes anyway). Asked to see the footy on these plasmas - no input vavilable. Two plasma's at the back (LG & Hitachi) showing footie - picture dreadful, players outline blurred when stationary- even more when moving & virtually unwatcahable. A few other people commented similarly.

My questions are
1. What is the picture like on your plasma's when watching fooball ? (I will be using Sky+ via a JS convertor) - my life will not be worth living if the players ahve a blurred outline and/ or the ball seems to have a tracer following it !! - If yours is OK how do I persuade wife that it will be OK on mine

2. Why does my wife compalin about the PQ when the football was being shown- she won't watch soccer & I am usually sent to the bedroom to watch it if she is in !

3. Anyone know of a better current deal than AV sales £1686 delivered ? :lease:

gcgoldchristoph said:
Go easy - Iam a newbie to this plasma thing.

Wanting to get a plasma, read loads of threads on AV forum. Coming to the conclusion that a Panasonic TH-42PWD6 is best option for my budget. Nearly got the wife convinced, go to John Lewis in Newcastle on Saturday and it all goes pear-shaped!!

England match being shown on various CRT Tv's , reasonable picture. DVD being shown on Plasmas (Pioneer Panny & Sony - PQ fantastic (to our untrained eyes anyway). Asked to see the footy on these plasmas - no input vavilable. Two plasma's at the back (LG & Hitachi) showing footie - picture dreadful, players outline blurred when stationary- even more when moving & virtually unwatcahable. A few other people commented similarly.

My questions are
1. What is the picture like on your plasma's when watching fooball ? (I will be using Sky+ via a JS convertor) - my life will not be worth living if the players ahve a blurred outline and/ or the ball seems to have a tracer following it !! - If yours is OK how do I persuade wife that it will be OK on mine

2. Why does my wife compalin about the PQ when the football was being shown- she won't watch soccer & I am usually sent to the bedroom to watch it if she is in !

3. Anyone know of a better current deal than AV sales £1686 delivered ? :lease:

The Picture on my PW6 watching footie through a freeview box through a JS rgb/VGA converter was very good except when the camera pans out to cover the whole pitch, then you see as you describe above although it is better through the RGB/VGA converter than straight RGB connection and probably alot better than the screens you looked at in JL IMO

have a look at panny veira £2999 gets you 42" TV IDTV Based on PW6 panel same quality but digital and analogue tuners............... Floorstand.. very sexy and DMRE-55 DVD recorder have a search loads on this package

Thanx for the response QUATTRO. Still a bit concerned that 'er indoors will give me grief if she comes in to find me watching footie and the picture is naff - she wants to spned the money (and more!) on new sofas !!

hornydragon said:
have a look at panny veira £2999 gets you 42" TV IDTV Based on PW6 panel same quality but digital and analogue tuners............... Floorstand.. very sexy and DMRE-55 DVD recorder have a search loads on this package
:hiya: Hi HORNYDRAGON. thanks for the reply.

As I said I am a newbie to this so may appear a bit (or very) thick.
:smoke:
Am I missing something, I can get a Panny PW6, boards and stand for about £2.2.K connected to both my Sky+ box and Sony DVD / surround sound sytem. If I get a viera as you suggest for £3K I get a DVD recorder that I don't need & presumably I don't need the inbuilt tuners as i will still need my Sky+ to get Sky programmes, record & pause etc. Will the viera give better PQ when watching the footie ? :zonked:

No it wont give you a better picture, there based on the same panel

Plugged my brand spanking new PWD6 into the Sky + box for the first time last night. Using a RGB/VGA converter, and scart to the Sky + box.
I was really surprised at the quality of the Sky + picture to be honest.

The terrestrial channels and main sky channels were excellent. Tried a couple of the lesser watched channels like Discovery and did find the PQ a bit soft and a slight lip sync problem, but not unwatchable by any means.

Watched a bit of rugby league and the Engalnd vs Holland football match on Sky Sports. PQ was fine to my eyes, even on the long camera pans, certainly no worse than on my old toshiba 32" tv.
Watched a bit of live American Football, and that was pretty good too. Picture a bit soft, but the feed from the US is the reason for that.

All in all I am really pleased. Even my girlfriend was impressed!
And I haven't even tried DVD yet.

I watched the England match on my Hitachi 42PD5300 and thought the picture quality was awful (lots of artifacts and 'fizzing' round the players) - watched 'The Match' on Sky One last night and the PQ was excellent so it's often down to the source rather than the panel itself.

John

johndon said:
I watched the England match on my Hitachi 42PD5300 and thought the picture quality was awful (lots of artifacts and 'fizzing' round the players) - watched 'The Match' on Sky One last night and the PQ was excellent so it's often down to the source rather than the panel itself.

John

To back the above point up, I watched in PiP mode on My Viera on saturday, Scotland match on Sky Sports One - no problem, other side of screen IDTV England match - picture quality ok. When I watched the england match on its own via sky + BBC One, fizzing all round the players, not constantly, but apparent and worrying at times.

Overall it would not stop me buying a Viera again, Im just disappointed I have waited until now.

Hope this helps.

I have also seen this problem with the football on sky+. I have the pio 434 and have had to adjust the settings many times to get a fairly decent picture for football, although it is not perfect. I have scene reviews for the iScan HD and new Cinemateq Picture Optimizer Plus II which has been good, but would either of these really make a difference to the picture quality from a sky+ box ? At roughly £800 I dont want to consider buying one unless I know that it would improve the picture... Does anyone have either of these two video processors/scalers ?

gcgoldchristoph said:
:hiya: Hi HORNYDRAGON. thanks for the reply.

As I said I am a newbie to this so may appear a bit (or very) thick.
:smoke:
Am I missing something, I can get a Panny PW6, boards and stand for about £2.2.K connected to both my Sky+ box and Sony DVD / surround sound sytem. If I get a viera as you suggest for £3K I get a DVD recorder that I don't need & presumably I don't need the inbuilt tuners as i will still need my Sky+ to get Sky programmes, record & pause etc. Will the viera give better PQ when watching the footie ? :zonked:
just thought missus may prefer it........ dead easy to use for Corry etc.....
Just becareful with PW6 esp silver units as UK stock has all but gone and some spanish units are creeping in to UK markets....... Model number should end in B or BX for UK models....

thanx once again HORNY..

If I can persuade the boss will be buying the Panny PW6, in charcoal, from AVSales, . Reading other threads on this forum they seem 2 have a v good reputation ?

Its in the powerbuy forum, not this one ;)

Well i had Sky+ installed today and the first thing to watch was the footie, Wales v Poland under 21's and the picture was perfect on my PW6, alot better than through my Freeview box going through the JS vga/rgb box using quality cables.

Hi, I have got a 37" viera plasma and had sky+ installed yesterday. I have my sky+ box connected via rgb scart connection to av1 on my screen. I watched the wales u21's game on sky sports 1 last night and the picture quality was spot on. I have the contrast on sky set to low, video output on rgb; on the tv I have any noise reduction filters and others filters turned off. No slow down or ghosting and players/ball is very sharp.

I am also pleased with my picture when watching football through the built in digital on the tv, I do have a high signal quality on that which i think must help though.

Hope this helps as I was very worried about this, and almost didnt get sky after reading some threads.

Thx

Paul

I found that using the JS scart - component converter produces a much improved pq for sky broadcasts and with sport in general virtually all motion smearing has been removed, I was very impressed.

I believe some retailers will let you try it first before you buy.

Paul

tobyhenderson said:
How is your Sky+ connected, quattro?

Its connected via a Tech+Link scart to a js VGA/RGB converter then a vandamme cable to the vga connection to the PW6.

Quattro

Pixel Plus feature on my Philips 37PF9965 is fantastic on footie. Razor sharp image, even on fast camera pans. Yet to see a better footie picture anywhere in any of the shops. I find Sky sports is generally better quality broadcast (higher bit rate?) than on ITV or BBC. Need to turn off any digital noise reduction as well with footie to avoid any smearing. Philips screens do seem to get a bad press on these forums. It's true, the Philips models are harder to set up, are fussy about the quality of the input source, but to my mind yield fantastic results in Pixel Plus mode, given good DVD or top quality Sky signal.

I connect my Sky+ box via Iscan Ultra to my Panny 6 PC input, and the IQ on footy is superb. That said, Sky Sports is way better than BBC1 for footy, presumably the cheapskate BBC doesn't give us the bandwidth we deserve. So, Sky+->Iscan Ultra->Panny 6, huge difference. Ah yes, and Gordon calibrated my screen as well, that sure made a huge difference :D (In fact, Hi Gordon, need you to do my screen again, finally got Denon UK to secretly admit Denon 3800 freezing issues cannot be fixed, so they gave me a 2900 in exchange.)

I have a reciever that switches sound from one input to another and outputs to a set f surround speakers. If I connect my console to the component board on the pw6 do I have to connect it's sound cables to the reciever?

So if I want to then play on the cosole i will need to switch the panny to take it's input from the component board and also switch the reciever to take sound input from the console? My reciever only outputs video in composite so I can't use it for full av switching. Is this how it's work? I've never has a plasma before so need to be sure of what I'm supposed to be getting. Does the panny need to be wired up to the reciever? How do I get sound from my NTl box if it's wired upto the VGA port on the panny? Will it also need seperate leads for audio to the reciever?

hornydragon said:
OK best bet is send all video to Plasma however you choose RGB>VGA etc and send all audio to reciver then you will selct an input on plasma for video and corresponding input on Amp for sound

My NTL box doesn't have any outputs except the scart ones. I'm aiming to buy one of these JS RGB to VGA switcher things. It mentions being able to switch multiple sources and says it can handle composite (so it should be able to hande vhs video through a scart lead?)

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/html/rgb_to_plasma_scrren_vga.html

I guess I'll be able to wire the two audio outputs from this to my amp?

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=33&osCsid=ee4fef0c8e70ddc7cb8fb462825c3182
AV sales seem to have dropped the ball here
The Keene Scart Switch Box is a high quality audio/video switcher designed to allow the connection of multiple sources to one display, all via SCART connections. Particular attention has been given to the signal processing to ensure that all video formats and picture information are preserved. The Scart Commander is capable of switching component video, s-video, RGB (in all its forms including RGBs, RGsB, RGBS or RGBHV) and composite video. Because each video channel is correctly routed it can even be used to switch digital audio (with the correctly configured cable). Each input can be selected manually or automatically via auto signal detect. A single switchbox can be used to switch four inputs to one output, or two units may be used together in a Master/Slave arrangement providing switching for seven units to one output. It utilises very high quality high bandwidth IC's throughout to ensure that there is no discernable signal degradation.
They have listed the description for the keene scart commender with the image and title of the JS TECH RGB>VGA converter The RGB> VGA box requires an RGB feed and will not work with composite as far as my under standing goes...... Please call AV-sales to confirm the situation but i beleive it to be an error in their website...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom