1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Footballers on Sky look like ready-break mens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dom Rice, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When watching Footy on Sky through my projector the players look like they have a clear strange glow around them.

It looks like its something to do with the digital picture. I have noticed it on my 28 inch tv but due to the size of the projected image the effect is amplified.

The projector is conected from sky via s-video connections. Would component connections eliminate this clear ready break effect.?

Or is it just that skys footy transmission is not very suited to projected images.

Some techy person might know the correct term for this interferance.

Any help or thoughts welcome.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Are you sure it's not just that nice warm glowing feeling you get when you watch TV on the BIG screen (all puns intended :) )

Sorry, don't know any techie answers.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like Edge Enhancement..do you get it with all sources (inc DVD with component) or just Sky?

4. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its just sky and is only on the footy channels.

5. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dom,

I've seen this effect too. I've got a Panny Ae300, connected via RGB scart.

I just assumed it was the lack of bandwidth on the sky channel struggling to render the small detailed objects (players) moving fast especially on pans of the pitch from a distance. When the picture switches to close-up the picture looks fine again.

The effect seems to vary with differerent channels. For instance the spanish footy on sundays seeems to get very little in the way of bandwidth and therefore the picture looks particularly crappy. On the otherhand, last nights champions league game between Man U and Real Madrid looked a lot better - again, I assume this is because it is getting a bigger slice of the bandwidth because its primetime???

Your connectoins may have an effect too, but I'd guess it was more to do with the source material.

Cheers,
    Tony.

6. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture on skysports one used to be great..but since they've made the channle interactive the picture has lost a lot of detail.

I've not noticed a glowing outline tho on my hs10...

i wish they would take the interactive off as i like the pic b4....anoying

7. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, due to my setup at present it is connected via s-vid. I need this so that I can watch the normal telly which is connected via s-vid.

dvd is via component. The sky box only has one rgb scart output so I can only ever watch sky on the big screen via s-vid.

Your right about the foreign matches they are terrible to watch.
    (picture quality that is) last nights game was a cracker.

i wish sky boxes would come with component outputs and that they would sod the interactive stuff off and return to quality picture. The interactive stuff was good for the first week, since then I have rarely used it.!

8. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if to cut down on bandwidth, some programs are reduced in resolution then edge enhanced... Wimbledon last year looked as if that's what had been done. Footbally usually seems to be full of these halos - thought the champions league match last night looked very good indeed for the most part. Still, more bandwidth is clearly needed - trying to fool us with lower resolution pictures with edge enhancement might just keep the masses happy though :(

9. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well its only going to get worse isnt it - what with more and more channels being added all of the time, all fighting for a piece of the bandwidth pie!

I know they update their bandwidth algorithms regularly so as to share out the bitrates more efficiently but there must be a limit to the number of channels you can have before picture quality really starts to suck!!!!

Its quantity over quality that matters for Sky et al unfortunately...

10. rangers fan

rangers fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try turning the sharpness down or defocus slightly