1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

football

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rsvrmille, Aug 18, 2003.

1. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running a HS10 with sky input using QED RGB scart into a RGB>component(Keene) converter and then chord component into the PJ.

The picture is good but the players look a bit "blurry" (not sure what the technical term is!). And speed of movement seems to cause problems. Watching the MotoGP was better but there were still places where the images weren't great (like shots from the helicopter looking down on the bikes)

Is this normal or should I be looking at tweaking the PJ?
    Should I have bought the NEC HT1000 instead? Do the DLP PJs deal with footy better?

By contrast the picture from the HCPC into the HS10 is outstanding. The problem is I watch more sport/sky input than dvds from the hcpc.

Any ideas?

PJ settings, cinema filter on, (brightness)cinema setting on, colour - middle, cinema black on.

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the reason for the players looking blurry is the effective 720 x 288 (yes 288!) resolution meaning there is not enough pixels to resolve faces when they are not zoomed in. This resolution is caused by the camera recording odd and even lines sequentially at 50 fields per second.

The football is recorded by an interlaced camera at half resolution at 50 frames per second to save bandwidth and camers ccd resolution as television is broadcast as interlaced anyway. This looks fine when there is nothing moving as two subsequent shots will be weaved together at 25 frames per second.

Your projector or deinterlacer will be also be doing motion adaptive deinterlacing and as the players are moving they will be basically line doubled (bobbed) and so will definitley be half resolution. This will also degrade the picture with deinterlacing artifacts.

This is very noticable with the white lines which will be jaggy during panning and fine when the camera is still.

Films are transferred with the odd and even lines from the same frame (and so time point) giving twice the resolution on moving objects as the deinterlacer just needs to perform a basic weave.

A further reason you don't notice this so much in films is that the subject matter is pretty much always in the foreground and so pretty big whereas football usually has wideangle shots most of the time and so the players are small compared to the height of the picture.

The picture may also be a bit blocky compared to film due to higher mpeg compression making it blockier and causing loss of detail.

In short, a good deinterlacer may help as will a higher resolution pj, but nothing will really come close to curing the problem until HDTV 1080p broadcasting and displays.

Cheers,
    Cal.

3. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I used to have an HS10 and from my HCPC the picture was awesome, but when I plugged in Sky+ (admittedly using s-video) the picture was blurry and edges had a jagged look to them – pretty unwatchable really. Anyway, after having 2 faulty HS10s I got a refund and have recently bought an Infocus 5700.

The 5700 comes with an adaptor to plug in an rgb scart source and the Sky picture is far better than the HS10. Football is far less blurry and definition around players is hugely improved, although some blur still remains. The film channels look really good – almost dvd quality. Some channels are better than others – BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Sky sports and other similar channels look good; discovery, Eurosport, Paramount aren’t as good. Some jagged edges remain thanks to the quality of the Sky signal and the picture has a bit of a green tint to it, but you can tweak the colours in the setup of the projector.

Overall, the picture is far, far better, and shows that Sky can look good. Perhaps your component converter isn’t up to the job – the ones from rgbtosvideo are highly rated on here, I haven’t seen one though. Or you could try connecting to the HS10 using VGA; get an rgb scart to vga cable and also the vga cable for the HS10 – could get pricely though. Or you could get and Infocus 5700 ;)

4. rsvrmille

rsvrmille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at getting one of these but the price stopped me and I couln't wait for the price of the 16:9 dlp to drop. Maybe the next incarnation of dlp tech will ease prices.

still not helping me improve my footy watching :(

5. dragonfly

dragonfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am using rgbtosvideo with QED scart lead,connected to the telewest digibox.I must say the picture quality on mine is excellent.

6. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using an HS10 with Sky+ via the JS Technology component converter. Picture quality is very variable though.

Sky movie channels and some programmes on C4/BBC can look as good as DVD, but music channels and sports can look pretty bad.

You can get better picture quality if you get a PC Nebula card for freeview, but that only gives limited channels (no conversion to analogue though!).