1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football On Sky

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by jimcarney, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SKY BLOW TO MATCH OF THE DAY
    Exclusive by Darren Lewis

MATCH OF THE DAY'S relaunch on the BBC on Saturday nights is facing huge competition from Sky after they unveiled details of a rival package.

From August, the satellite station will screen a brand new show, Football First, which will include delayed full coverage of the biggest game of the day at around 8.30pm. Sky will also put out 45-minute highlight packages of each of the other matches played that day, running at the same time on their interactive digital channels after 10pm.

It means armchair fans will get the chance to watch extended footage of their favourite Premiership team in action BEFORE Gary Lineker's Match of the Day round-up of all the games starting at 10.30pm.

The new show will be fronted by Sky Sports presenter Clare Tomlinson, who has impressed the station with her performances as their touchline reporter. But for the BBC the move is a big blow. The corporation have gambled £105million in winning back the three-year Premiership football rights from ITV.

It is all a far cry from last summer when Beeb executives were patting themselves on the back after winning that rights battle.

The corporation were putting a brave face on their newest rival last night.

A spokesman said: "We have always known that there would be other broadcast options available.

"We think they complement each other and it is important that football fans have the choice."

Sky have refused to comment on plans for the new show. But they have already sent out promotional details to viewers, outlining when they can see it and what is likely to be included.

On the opening weekend of next season, the satellite channel are set to screen the most attractive game - Chelsea v Manchester United - live on the Sunday.

But 24 hours earlier they will still be able to show viewers the next best game, Tottenham v Liverpool, as the first offering of their new venture.

Possible TV soccer timetable: 8.30pm BSkyB: One of the Saturday games in full. 10pm BSkyB: 45-minute highlights of the day's other matches. 10.30pm BBC: Match of the Day. 12 midnight: Two-minute clips of Saturday matches on news programmes

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I dont think this will be too much of a blow, how many men are going to be allowed to watch the football on a saturday night at 8.30pm when "the misses" has to watch Pap Idol or some other rubbish soap/reality show that is much more important than football (not that im bitter). Also most people are out at that time of day and get back in time for MOTD. I wonder what % of Sky Viewers actually watch MOTD anyway?

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a cool service from Sky

Certainly beats MOTD for me :)

4. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Not sure anything can beat MOTD ;)

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am amazed - I thought that the whole point of the highlights package deal was that it was exclusive :confused: In previous seasons Sky weren't even allowed to show clips of the games during the news, so how come they can now show them? Not that I am complaining though, sounds great to me!

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Sounds great to me as well. There have been many times when MOTD or the ITV version have decided in advance which games willl be the big ones, when it has turned out that another game would have been far more entertaining. I always enjoyed the old MOTD on the beeb but always wished they would be more flexible about which games are to be the main ones.

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    sounds like someone is a little whipped ;) lol just kidding.as long as its not on ITV i really dont care.ITV wrecked motd imho or should that be MANC of the day every bloody first game man u was on it.bbc did a better job but sky will yet again lead the way imho.

8. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Liverpool are only on 11 times before Crimbo ,Everton are on 6 times this includes PVP....Jim

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I hate to pun, but this is real overkill. I gave up sky sports because there was too many crap matches and now they are showing even MORE!!!
    No thank you. I can just about suffer the short highlights of most games these days, never mind 50 minutes.

I think i'll stick with the beeb....................

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you was watching the premiership and not the spanish league?

As last season was some of the best matches ever, so many competitive games and superb football i thought last season was the best season for a while and i welcome getting to see 50 mins highlights of all matches, i think Sky will steal BBC's thunder big time just when they fought to get MOTD back as well, gona be great season :)

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i dont really want to watch every game for 50 mins myself but i would like to see my team given 50 mins every week and be able to watch that and not what the beeb dictate is THERE selection of the games.this will come in extra handy for long distance games etc besides i wouldnt mind watching the odd 50 min game of the arse every now and then ;)i especially wanna see how the new teams handle the prem as i believe this is the year everton go down :)

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    No, sadly not. I used to watch the Spanish leauge when my inlaws lived out there, and the standard was high. I dumped the sky package after the 2000 season, which was without doubt the worst I've seen in terms of standards, in thirty years of watching (and playing) football. I saw nothing last season to convince me to take it up again. My sister has the whole caboodle, Sky plus etc. and even she (a footie fanatic), admitted it was getting too expensive to watch too little quality football.

When even Prem players are admitting things beyond the top three are poor, I think you must be watching thru rose tinted, or possibly even psychedelic glasses! :D

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ye i agree i dont think i will watch every game for 50 mins but i will definately watch my Team (Liverpool) in there 50 min highlights which is way better than the 20 min MOTD give to even the main games, also dont forget the 2nd best game of the day you get to see the full 90 Mins which again will be great if its your team playing

14. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i totally disagree but thats not unusual i think the SKy football package is awesome and i would not change anything, they are constantly adding new features and again i though the premiership was superb last season, even the top 3 who in the end did run away with it had some extremely hard games against some of the lesser teams and it was great to watch

Cant beat sky for football IMO its the best by a long way

P.S i referred to the spanish league as the games i saw was boooooooooooooring :boring:

15. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I can't stand it. It's tacky trashy and overblown. It suits the premiership perfectly.

Frankly, the fact that Arsenal were able to go unbeaten speaks volumes for how weak the Premiership is - regardless of the fact that they are a good side.

I'm not surprised you found Spanish football boring. Unlike English top flight matches, a bit of thought goes into it, not just a load of hares racing up and down the park. One of the Arsenal lads mentioned how poor we are technically and he wasn't wrong. It scares me sometimes to watch just how much has been lost. Even a struggler from the old Div one could tear apart most of the current crop. :(

16. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I'm not surprised you found Spanish football boring. Unlike English top flight matches, a bit of thought goes into it, not just a load of hares racing up and down the park"

No it wasn't that it was just crap :)

Anyway LOL ok :) have to agree to bigtime disagree :)

Backto the topic, I wonder how much BBC paid to get MOTD back, i bet there wondering if it was worth it now, MOTD has never had major competition before

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    You don't support Liverpool do you? ;)

It hasn't now. More people don't have sky sports than do, and all the footy fans amongst them will welcome back MOTD from the naff ITV coverage.

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree the point is though when BBC was fighting to get MOTD back they was doing it to get back ALL the viewers, now Sky have launched this service alot of the skysports subscribers will rather use there service, which means BBC will not get the expected audiences they thought they would get when trying to battle for MOTD

Theres no doubt many will still watch, what i am saying is they will lose alot of the old viewers who only used to have MOTD as highlights program, if those people have skysports they will prob watch that instead

And i definately think Skys service is major competition, unlike you many many people love the service Skysports offers and would definately choose it over BBC

19. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    the premiership?????whats that????? :rolleyes:

i'll be watching the best league in the world next season,The Coca Cola Championship!!!!!! :thumbsup:

yes i am a Leeds United Fan :rolleyes:

20. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I'm sure they do. But many people unlike me, like Corrie, Big brother, daytime TV, and plenty of other tacky trite on the box. As such I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.....................

And yes, I am putting Sky coverage, of just about anything, in the same category as the above.

21. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I HATE HATE HATE HATE sky's coverage of football. Andy Gray and Tyler can f off as far as I'm concerned. BBC's coverage FAR superior. Sky are just totally stale and cliched. BBC with Lineker, Hansen, Et al have shown their class during Euro 2004. Even ITV are better than Sky for football. SKY suck for football. :lesson:

22. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    er yeah :zonked:

23. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So, you agree then?

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    lol ofcourse i dont agree im saying you musted be zonked to say something as ridiculous as that lol.

25. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ?????? Sky is awful and stale. I mean, Richard Keys. Enough said. 'A Ford Super Sunday' oh f off.

26. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reason why BBC is better:
    1. No Adverts
    2. Gary Lineker is an outstanding presenter
    3. Alan Hansen/Trevor Brooking much better pundits than Andy Gray (what an idiot)
    4. Commentators: Mottie and Davies compared to Hawthorne or Tyler. Nuff' said.
    5 BBC available to all.

27. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    lol everyone to there own i gues but i would rather have widescreen much better pic quality and 50 mins of every team any old day of the week.andy gray is a mong like but motson is in a different league of retard commentators imho.mottsons commentart alone during the euro finals was a joke.besides have you even listened to a FANZONE commentart during a big grudge game lmao FANTASTIC.if your talking about stale you cant mean SKY SPORTS.different camera angles fanzone interactive stats key moments at half time all that the press of a button ;) bbc sports are as stale as 3 year old bread :hiya: without sky have taken sports to the next level of coverage. :clap:

28. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nah, BBC rule for football. Answer this: would you rather watch an England game on BBC or Sky? See, BBC is better

29. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Agree with you all the way. The Spanish league certainly is a better 'shop window' for quality football. It's a shame we pay (literally :( ) such a price for the sake of 'exciting' football.

Don't get me wrong, I find the pace of the Premiership electric. But the football fan inside yearns to see quality. Possession football, reasonable defending (let's face it, defending in the Premiership is poor), and reasonable passing from a number of teams. Sadly, I find these qualities somewhat lacking in the Premiership. I'd welcome more La Liga. :thumbsup:

30. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Agree with all your points except the one about Motty. I reckon he's past it to be honest. He's working off his reputation and the nostalgia factor. I prefer Clive Tyldesley on ITV :) .