Football On Sky with 42PD7200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by kingsize, Nov 6, 2005.

1. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Come on you Reds!

But seriously, watching the Utd Chelsea match on my 42PD7200 - connected to Sky+ via. Thor scart.

Have run it in 400hrs+, used DVE etc...

But getting terrible solarisation on the pitch - looks like its melting

I have followed the threads on this set, but does anyone have a definitive setting for the footie? Really, I think its great for everything else, DVDs, normal movies etc

I have been fiddling with the various settings suggested on other threads, but just cant avoid the terrible melting...

Is anyone watching the same match on the same set and could give some advice?

Thanks folks...

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You may be on a hiding to nothing here, if the feed is crap, garbage in, garbage out. A grand's worth of video scaler might help, ask yourself if it's worth it, if everything else is OK. HD will rescue you eventually.

3. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I'm watching on my ISF'd PIO 435xde and its a fantastic picture...... :D

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Course it's great, you paid for it. Nothing Gordon or Piers can do will help a rubbish feed. Though there may be differences in how different screens handle poor material. Not really an expert on football picture, 22 fools and a bit of leather and all that, other grotty signals are plentiful though, anyone else find the West Wing poor? The grotty ones just look 'soft' on my setup, rather than a nasty mish mash I suspect Kingsize is complaining of. That's the effect of a scaler, it's doing it's best, and really does quite a lot. I don't expect he wants to hear he's bough the wrong screen.

5. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks MAW.

That was sort of my thinking - SKY footie feed has never been great, and everything else is top notch - and you are right, I 'll wait for HD before dropping a grand on a scaler.

I am quite curious as to how HD will look - given the paucity of info from the Sky behemoth, still seems something of a guessing game.

And I agree that the West Wing picture is bloody poor - looks like the screen has been liberally coated with vaseline....

Thanks again.

And sharger, good for you I'm sure, but somewhat off topic and wholly irrelevant to the query posed - perhaps you would like to start a thread as to how good your set is...im sure it would be very intersting...for you...

6. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    LOL........ You are grumpy about your crappy picture huh.........

7. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    :boring: :boring: :boring:

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    For once, Kingsize, I'm with you. I may not like your screen very much, but it's not responsible for crap sky, and you've just got to make the most of what you've got. Someone might lend you a scaler to play with, see what difference it makes, but HD will be miles better. Have you tried any from a PC? We have some footy at 1080i for demo, don't think I'd better email it to you LOL! It's about 6GB. But it's unlike anything you've seen from sky so far. If theirs is half as good you have no worries, you could have bought a Tiny and I'm sure it would be acceptable. Well, perhaps not, but you get the message. Your H will deal with it no probs. However, the SD problem will not go away, the vast majority of it will still be SD, and a fair proportion poor quality.

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strangely I thought the same when watching the game on my Panasonic 42PE50 - there seemed to be a pinkish/reddish outline around the player's faces when the camera panned... -- i'm not sure what this effect is called, is this solarisation? the picture looks fine when there is no motion but the moment the camera pans, it all looks a mess. It really drives me nuts... this plasma is superb with everything else, but I'm struggling to adjust myself to watching footy on this set - I keep getting distracted by the motion 'artifacts' and end up not concentrating totally on the footy.

Must have changed the sharpness settings about 10 times during the game Chelsea - Man U game today , hoping this wierd effect would disappear.

I'm wondering whether this effect might be caused by my scart lead ? (a £15 Hitachi scart lead from Argos ) ---- perhaps a QED sqart or IXOS lead might sort this out, anyone think so? i'm prepared to spend upto £100 on a scart lead if it can improve the quality of football on my plasma - anyone recommend a top of the range scart lead that actually delivers?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Nah mate, sky don't know what scart you are using. You need serious kit to sort this one out. It was there before you had a plasma, just you didn't notice so much cos it wasn't so big.

11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I watch footy from broadcasters all over the world, and SKY is definately the best you can get at the moment. Although, I have to admit, that todays game was not their best production (7/10 from me). With my scaler, I had a very good, clean picture but I have seen better. I have seen many 10/10 games regarding picture quality, especially Champions League coverage.

12. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks Maw.

I think todays broadcast was of an appreciably lower quality than usual - your assurances re. hd do assuage my concerns considerably.

I shant be screening anything from PC - although I am looking forward to getting my 360 so that I can see something in HD - even a game..

I suppose in many ways it's impatience - ie having an HD ready screen and not yet getting any appreciable benefit - but if truth be told, at the minute just having 42" is most enjoyable, and as I say I am pleased with the picture on DVD and other sky channels, although just watched the West Wing - as you say, a brutal broadcast...

Roll on Feb '06 or whenever the good folk at Sky pull their corporate fingers out...

13. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Today's broadcast was well below usual Sky quality on footy. Solarisation on pitch was bad, whch is unusual. I can get round it by switching of digital processing, which softens the picture no end, but makes it wachable and less distracting.

14. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I wonder why such a bad broadcast from Old Trafford of all places...

15. Shimmyhill

Shimmyhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes it was poor today, so bad i mentioned to the wife that it looked poor and she agreed. Sky's stuff is generally very good so maybe some plum got the wrong camera's or equipment out of the van ;)

16. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    I watched the game in the pub ,the new landlords swapped his old telly for a panny viera 37" ,and i thought it looked quite good ,saying that anything looks good after a few pints of stella. :D

17. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    MAW, any idea where i could get a copy of your HD footy demo?

18. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Do you need to say anymore?.........Only joking.

19. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    :D

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    tj, you'd need to bring a prortable drive to Cobham I think! I'll ask where it came from, but bit torrent is the likely answer.