Football on Amazon Prime

On my LG getting PCM audio from an app to the receiver over ARC is a setting in the TV sound output menu - we change that to Auto from PCM and that allows DD+ and that then allows Atmos for the Netflix app
Its just the football i can get dd+ and dolby atmos for all other content.

So the City game was spot on. Last night was poor. And tonight again it's spot on.

I'm based in Liverpool, so the only reason I can think of is that in Liverpool last night Amazon Prime was getting hammered, so my app was struggling.

Sounds daft I know, but it's the only thing I can think of!

Looks more like 720p on my B8 app although with hdr
Your Internet speed might be a bit low. Utility warehouse @65 Meg here and the arsenal game looks pretty good.

Watching the blades match - got kicked from the feed at half time but other than that it's been pretty decent.

Wednesday night was definitely the worst for me. Bigger games though to be fair so probably loads more viewers.

Your Internet speed might be a bit low. Utility warehouse @65 Meg here and the arsenal game looks pretty good.

Anyone with just 20mb should have no problem streaming 4K HDR. Unless they're hammering it with other things in the house at the same time.

They've overclocked the encoder and found another server farm so both the C8 and ATV better tonight. The C8 still blurring but the quality of the image with HDR is still more natural than the somewhat processed look to the ATV one.

Although no streaming service needs more than 30Mb/s it does seem those with 60+ available get a better result.

But Arsenal though....

Anyone with just 20mb should have no problem streaming 4K HDR. Unless they're hammering it with other things in the house at the same time.
Should be but we all know how these things go. The world Cup streams recommended 30-35 I seem to remember.

Anyone with an OLED getting other than an LG C9 getting aggressive dimming on certain shots? In studio and when something bright e.g floodlights. Only on the HDR feeds

wired 72meg fibre here. It looked only slightly better in the second half - loads of compression. I’m sure they’ll improve it.

Anyone with an OLED getting other than an LG C9 getting aggressive dimming on certain shots? In studio and when something bright e.g floodlights. Only on the HDR feeds

I have a C9 and was getting it on the Liverpool game. Not tried any other feeds. Seemed to improve if I upped the dynamic contrast? Could have been wishful thinking!

Didn’t notice anything like that on a C7. All three HDR matches seemed fine.
Could it be the logo dimming thing, whatever it’s called, being over aggressive?

Think I found the culprit. “Dynamic tone mapping”. Turning off and the changed levels are gone in studio

Didn’t notice anything like that on a C7. All three HDR matches seemed fine.
Could it be the logo dimming thing, whatever it’s called, being over aggressive?
All three matches on my C7 where superb, looking forward to the Boxing Day coverage on Amazon.

wired 72meg fibre here. It looked only slightly better in the second half - loads of compression. I’m sure they’ll improve it.
Yeah, occasionally the grass blocked up, but not close up, the grass in the mid and background.

Yes on my LG B8 especially in the studio it appears too dark but then slowly brightens. I’ve watched games on all 3 evenings and it’s been the same every time. Don’t notice it when watching the actual game though. Weird or something their or my end?

Yes on my LG B8 especially in the studio it appears too dark but then slowly brightens. I’ve watched games on all 3 evenings and it’s been the same every time. Don’t notice it when watching the actual game though. Weird or something their or my end?
It was doing that on my B8 too during the match.

The software engineer in me thinks that perhaps the hardware which the Panasonic TVs are running on are suffering from the same limitation as the Apple TV 4K, in that they cannot support 4K HDR at GREATER than 30 frames per second.

This would make sense of the fact that you are getting 1080p 50 fps streams. The minimum fps these sports broadcasters are going for now is 50 (which is great!).

I wonder if on the UHD game this evening (the Arsenal game) if you might be able to get 1080p HDR 50fps? This would certainly be interesting. If not then that would imply that Prime are exclusively saving the HDR stream for the 4K stream as well.

Hope this makes sense.
Had a quick look at the UHD game on Thursday, same result, no HDR and in 1080p bad motion issues, all extras turned off. So I think the Panasonic Amazon app is just not upto it and or the hardware in the Panasonic isn't up to it. Quite disappointing really.

I just went to watch some Liverpool highlights and nothing is working. I get the message, "something went wrong".

My experiences were as follows on the built in app on a Philips 6703 (HDR not supported):

• Tuesday (Man City) - Good HD picture quality but not quite UHD
  • Wednesday (Liverpool) - Watchable picture but nowhere near UHD and maybe not even quite HD
  • Thursday (Arsenal) - Excellent picture, definitely UHD and comparable to Sky Sports UHD

Last edited:
After watching the 4k match on amazon it’s good but definitely not as good as sky 4K the United city now is perfect

I'd have to disagree, I'm watching the Manchester derby and it's good, but not Amazon good. Lack of HDR is the main difference and it really shows.

Was a bit of a mixed bag on my 902 , sometimes stunning and at others it confused the display no end . On the whole though the whole package from Amazon I thought was above par over Sky , especially as Sky Q as yet cannot do HDR . It needs work to sort out the drop outs but I enjoyed the commentary( on certain games ) and the ingame stats . Early doors but a welcome one .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom