Football Manager 2013

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Iccz, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    So, it was announced:

Football Manager 2013 announced – features Classic Mode and in-game purchases - Football Manager 2013 for PC News

I'm guessing release date will be end of October, probably the 26th.

How many of them do we see every year? :(

2. duncfunk

duncfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    The media interaction isn't even new to FM13! I never even use it anyway, only seems to have negative effects. You don't even seem to be able to talk about the match in FM12 only the manager. I miss the days when I could tell another manager that I tactically outclassed him :D

I think FM has got to the stage where there's not much more that can be done apart from database updates. I'll be sticking with 12 until 13 is cheap :smashin:

3. austinqpr

austinqpr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    I quite like the sound of classic mode. Obviously proof will be in the pudding but being able to play without having to delve into five million different training menus will be refreshing :smashin:

4. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Agree with all of that, I said last time I wouldn't bother with 12 as it wasn't much different from 11... yet... I did :(

It sounds great for network games, been playing a network game for just over 3 seasons with ODP on here and it's great fun but sometimes it needs to go a little faster. I'd be happy if they sorted network games out so staggered kick offs didn't cause too much bother... you know a vote option to kick off at the same time - would be ideal as you could then still tactically use the stagger if you needed.

5. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,005
    I'm loving the idea of a classic mode. The main reason I don't play FM12 much now is that it requires so much time.

I'm actually tempted to get 13 on android for a tablet - does anyone have experience of the tablet version of 12?

6. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,275
    Meh!!

Agreed with the above, not much more can be done with this game so each new version has very minor little tweaks that they could of added by the way of an update. Pretty sure they have a long list of micro improvements and they add several every year.

Shame nobody gives FM a run for their money. Must be the only top selling game which sits alone in its genre. SI need do nothing to shift copies, easy with no competition.

I paid £5 for FM12 and for the reasons I mentioned above, I felt guilty supporting SI :(

7. Carlow

Carlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    enough to make me buy it tbph :) :thumbsup:

8. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I don't see the fun in a simplified mode, people play FM because of the depth not because you can pick a team, watch the game and move on. That would bore the hell out of me, i'd rather play a Fifa league.

For me it's not got enough depth.

Contracts are basic, where are proper deals with agents, rediculous demands etc... that do happen in real life. Also where are things like pay for when they play deals for injury prone out of work players? What about subject to medicals, getting decent medical reports. What about deadline day rush?

Training is also basic, needs more depth such as what form of training will they do, ball work but what types of ball work. Fitness but being able set things like endurance or sprints etc...

Abilities to take players on nights out, players abusing social media etc...

Not really the managers job but things like more control over stadium and training other than asking for upgrades.

9. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    [​IMG]

Shots on Target... wait, why is it not in the goal... :laugh:

10. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Hmm sounds like there's going to be some interesting changes to FM. The tax system is an important new feature given the importance it plays in every single real world transfer.

So with players' managerial statistics being presented on Steam does that mean that the use of real-time editors or save game ones is out of the question? Steam are strict about cheating, aren't they, and if there's going to be a leaderboard then surely Steam will ban the account of anyone who's used something like FMRTE to edit their own save games? I enjoy editing my own save games for various reasons, so I hope Steam's involvement in the in-game actions of a player doesn't cause the end of those types of FM utilities.

Edit - Another reason we might see the end of things like FMRTE is if they threaten this new in-game transactions DLC thing by allowing people to bypass payment for whatever it is SI are selling.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  11. duncfunk

duncfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    I have the 11 tablet version. If you're used to the PC version it's very watered down which is understandable. If I'm going away somewhere I'll always take the laptop to play the proper version. Having said that I will be looking at 13 to see what they've done and might take a punt on it if there's a nice list of new features.

Also agree with Dave's comments. Off the top of my head things that still annoy me are:

Injured players moaning about first team football when they've only just returned to action

The lack of media conversation options to resolve problems like the above.

Varying the wage allowed to different players and staff. I swear in my current game the board will only allow me £100 less than the amount anyone wants to sign for!

There's probably a few more things that I can't think of right now but it's very rigid in certain aspects of the game. I'm actually playing an edited database for the first time at the minute. Stuck the mighty Aylesbury United in the BSS with a chunk of cash and a nice stadium. Pretty good fun so far :thumbsup:

12. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I do enjoy wasting hours away but my biggest problem is that I don't ever really feel I'm making that much difference in the game.

By that I agree with rigid. It feels all so scripted and the same default responses and actions for every situation and every player.

Dealing with media is tiresome because its the same thing.

I don't want to offer a player a good contract for him to pretty much accept, sometimes I want it to go on for a week or so. Arrange meeting with agent and player, show him around the ground and training facilities.

I mean I said it above but where are medicals and contracts on deadline day with signing pending medical. Medical is one of the most important things in a contact. Like I said above I also want pay to play deals for the seriously injury prone.

Even though there is depth it's a still very basic.

Tactics and training need more depth.

I like FM but its so stale now I can rarely be bothered and I've had it every year for as long ad I can remember.

I'm tempted to pass.

13. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,275
    Once you get a team up and running with a settled tactic the game becomes a chore. I have always heavily tweaked tactics and this is the first version I have been able to get a striker to score over 95 goals in a season. Players like that come along once in a lifetime but when you can get that out of a player and then do exactly the same with his replacement, shows how broken and easy this game has become.

14. Gate House

Gate House
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought FM every year since it was first released as Championship Manager back in the 90s and they pulled it because people thought it was broke because it took a whole afternoon and then some for the end of season to process. I had it on the Amiga.. I have to say that this year is the first time i am seriously [quite serious!] considering not bothering.

Having said that. I'll still probably buy it out of habit. Just to give Leeds a 1 billion takeover. haha

15. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    Hello

I haven't played a football manager style game for many years

Is 'Football Manager' generally perceived to be the best out there? I'm looking for a detailed, in depth simulation

Thanks

16. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Yep, pretty much the only one worth looking at, sadly :(

It's a shame Fifa Manager can't give a bit more competition to make FM step their game up.

17. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    Thanks

Do you know when it's out? Getting mixed reports online

18. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    They've not announced yet, but it's almost always end of October, early November at the latest.

19. Jackkk

Jackkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I agree some competition certainly never hurts a game/series. However S.I really haven't slacked off.

There's not a tonne of features from year to year (not necessary in a game like this, it's about realism not gimmicks) but the amount of time and accuracy that goes into researching players/clubs/nations is just astounding.

Always played manager games since premier manager 98 on the ps1 but I've seriously started getting into them the last few years. Put a number of 20+ seasons in on the last couple games and it's not showing any signs of getting boring yet.

Kinda gutted the new ones so close as I've really gotten into a new save the past couple weeks.

20. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Am I the only one who gets bored once the season starts. I enjoy the whole transfer window but then within a month of the season started I switch off.

21. Jonesy012

Jonesy012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +425
    So Classic Mode is what Manager Mode should be in FIFA?

I have always wanted proper training in FIFA (football not manager) as well as the ability to upgrade the grounds etc. I think it was taken out around 2010 version, probably to give FIFA Manager more interest.

22. duncfunk

duncfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Usually comes out towards the end of October. The patches start coming a few weeks after :laugh:

Yeah the first part of the season is generally pretty boring. Just have to grind it out to get to the business end of the season.

23. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,637
    :)

Participating retailers: Steam, Green Man Gaming, Gamersgate, SEGA, Game Fly, Game Stop, Amazon, Origin, Get Games. For online purchases.

24. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,275
    I am not prepared to pay over £3 for this version.

25. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
  26. Coffin

Coffin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    I'm confused...servers?!

Is this played online against other people? Showing my inexperience with these games now..I thought it was all offline

Edit: Just reading the official website now...seems it's an option

27. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,235
    Being a long time champ man/fm fan from the amiga days ive played every version but the last few years not sunk as much time into it.

Will definitely pick this up again even if i simply just play a few matches a week.

28. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    Yeah I play my mate online its very good helps if you both have decent internet connections though.

That link I posted is kosher by the way

29. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,637
    if anyone preordered from GMG , i just got my code in time for tomorrows beta :) so check your emails :)

30. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Beta might not be available tomorrow or weekend, hope it is tomorrow though or even tonight.