1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football lover needs something to point his furniture at

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chrisward1000, Jul 26, 2004.

1. chrisward1000

chrisward1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Football lover needs something to point his furniture at.

I just got my bonus and want to buy a big TV with it.

I want the whole setup including stand/TV/digibox etc so I can watch loads of football all day long for under about £4000.

When is comes to knowledge about TV's I'm disabled btw(not sure why I'm posting this in techy but I am stupid)

Here is a link to a picture of my setup just now:

http://www.chriscomputers.co.uk/tv.jpg

As you can see I have a TV, freeview box, xbox, desktop computer, laptop, DVDRW and a VCR plugged in just now.

The Premiership is broadcasted on Sky Sports and I hear good things about HDTV(is sky sports broadcasted in this mode?)

Please give me some ideas, I want a nice bright and clear screen so all my mates can watch too. I'll post a picture of what my lounge looks like once I've bought everything.

Hope you guys can help, I'm counting on you!!

2. chrisward1000

chrisward1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't laugh at how messy my house is

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It doesn't appear that a LARGE screen TV would fit ifn the position your current TV is in and in order to get decent sound you'll need to be able to position the TV in a way to get the left & right main speakers either side of it at a reasonable distance from it.

It looks like in front of the rear window will be your only solution from that picture, unless you'd consider getting rid of the wall unit. In either case Iwouldn't rule out an LCD/DLP projector with an electric screen as an alternative to a big screen TV.

a Sony HS20 at around £1500 is a good "bang-for-bucks" solution, though you'd need a TV tuner (Sky? Freeview? HTPC?). I use one in my HT room and am very happy with it.

Mark.

4. chrisward1000

chrisward1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rear window is a good idea thanks. I would also need a projector screen though, how expensive are these?

The Sony HS20 looks very good for it's price, I would need a very bright screen because that window often faces towards the Sun. Will this projector be ok with that?

I can move the computer and amp and there is plenty space for a realy large screen, I can always move the TV forwards a bit for even more room. I don't think size in the corner is a big problem.

5. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky isn't currently broadcasting in HDTV. They won't be for at least 18 months but it's a good idea to get something that's capable of HDTV. You don't want to be that person who bought a 3k plasma now and in 2 years finds out it needs to go in the bin ;)

You can build your own screen for about 50 quid. Blackout material and some wood. Very easy ;)

Watching sport in the daytime is doable. Just expect a washed out screen. If you can dim the room a little, it helps. Sun on the screen? Forget it.

Perhaps thought of a RPTV? Sagem do a HDTV 50" for about 2.5k. You could watch that in any light.

Ideally you want a nice large TV and a PJ for films and sport ;)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panasonic TH 50PV30 should be top of your list along with pioneer 504HDE (pay more for PIO, Panny just in budget!