1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football First and pointless(?) new functionality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dolph, Oct 18, 2004.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Does anyone else find it slightly daft that you can only choose which game to record on Sky+ for Football First after 6pm on the Saturday of the games.

Surely the point of Sky+ is (usually) to record stuff for when you are out - this new function means you can't go out before 6pm!!!

2. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Bugger - really?? I got all excited when I read that this function was available but haven't got round to testing it yet. As you say there's not really much point if you can't select until 6pm as you'll more than likely be out by then! Another good sky idea not quite right.... I'm still waiting to be able to sort my EPG and get rid of all the rubbish channels that for some reason haven't been dropped into the hell hole of misc channels..... :rolleyes:

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    When do SKY announce the line up for the show though, don't watch it myself but isn't the main game only announced an hour or so before and that would then impact how each game is allocated to the interactive system and hence when it is possible to select a game for recording?

As for the EPG, broadcasters pay SKY to be included, they would not be happy if a user could delete them at will, in this and many other cases the billions paid by subscribers seems to be less important than the millions paid by advertisers and broadcasters. Of course the SKY EPG was more or less set in stone back in '98 and the need to maintain a standard across digiboxes some of which are 6 years old and have slower cpu's and memory limits how SKY can evolve the software.
    It's a shame the SKY+ EPG wasn't used as a fresh canvas with the abilites many people would like.

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I know that Sky only announce the main game at 6pm, however that main game is still repeated as a highlight version later anyway so I'm not sure it makes much difference does it?

My point really being is that the hype around this function would currently appear to be rather pointless.

The one benfeit it now gives is you can record one game whilst watching another - although why you would want to watch 4 extended highlight programmes baffles me!

5. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I posted on another thread about this I was unable to record the link I was watching let alone another one my friend asked me to recor a game for him because he dosent have $ky ,although this feature works on Champions League nights!!

6. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I didn't realise they paid to be included - obvious really, just never thought it through. I don't even want to delete them just move them to a more appropriate place - like misc!! or to be able to sort them.

But you're right in that Sky + would have seemed an ideal opportunity to put some useful changes in. But that would be too sensible for Sky - eh :rolleyes:

7. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,240
    Hi,

I hate the fact, that at 10.15 you have to watch a game from the start, and that you cannot use the red button to choose a game at a later time and watch it from the begining, there is no point saying watching your team at 10.40pm and the game is 40 mins in, sky should take the interactive further and allow users to watch any game after 10.15 and watch if from the start to finish.

Unlike MOTD, you can easliy find what the scores are of matches (when you dont want to know), etc on football first, as they seem to be talking about games in the studio.

I still perfer MOTD at 10.30, all the best bits of all games in a shorter time.
    Who watches all the' football first' matches through to 4am?.

rai

8. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    raigraphixs,

I take it you support a team higher up in the league then? For a lot of teams in the lower half of the Premiership, they are left with a measly run trough of the goals in their games. They do not get 20 minutes of highlights like teams such as Arsenal and Man Utd. Football First changes that and puts all teams on a level footing allowing you to watch the same length of highlights as everyone else (although you could argue some games only result on lowlights).

Admitidly, FF prbably isn't for everyone, but when did it become a bad thing to be given choice? I support Liverpool so I am lucky enough to get a decent amount of highlights on MOTD but would much rather watch 50 minutes of highlights than 10 or 20.

And in reply to your point about finding the scores of matches; you'll probably find that most football fans, like myself, knew the scores of all the days games in the premiership, not to mention the Coca Cola leagues and even non-league football, by 5pm.

Count yourself lucky you have the choice to watch either MOTD or FF. If you don't like FF, then don't watch it because there are a lot of people out there they do enjoy the new service.