1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football Co-Commentators

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Lex, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After listening to Grame Le-Saux struggle desperately to think of anything worthwhile to say during tonight's match it occurs to me that there is a real lack of decent football co-commentators around at the moment - especially English ones. The BBC have never replaced Trevor Brooking (who was the guvnor) and ITV have totally failed to replace Ron Atkinson... I mean imagine if by some miracle England got to the World Cup Final next year - who would do the co-commentating? Graeme LeSaux or Andy Townshend (Irish) :thumbsdow

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I'd do it, but I'm off to get managerial experience so I can take over Sven, AFTER the final :D

Whether we'll win is another thing

3. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    At the end of the Scotland game (and at half-time) I watched the England match on Sky plus. Oh my god, if listening to Motson isn't bad enough now we have Le Saux as well!

My choice of viewing when it comes to soccer-tainment quite often comes down to the channel - and therefore the commentators. I used to really love Brian Moore on ITV, but he's retired now. I HATE Motson, I hate that screaming noise that he makes, they sometimes use it for football adverts/trailers. Barry Davies is even worse, I remember somebody describing his style as 'constipated'. Next time you hear him talk, imagine him sitting on the khazi, trying desperately to squeeze one out - you'll see what I mean!

There was a while when ITV2 would show a Champions League match featuring Leeds or Newcastle if Arsenal etc were on ITV1. My favourite ever game, and commentary, was a Newcastle game with, IIRC, Peter Drury and Jim Beglin commentating. Fantastic, especialy considering the game, Newcastle were 'swashbuckling'. Nobby Solano let rip with an absolute snorter of a volley that hit the bar, Peter Drury screamed "Oh what a HIT!!!" Fantastic stuff!

Anyway when Germany 2006 rolls around I really am dreading Motty & all the crappy part-timers wheeled out to cope with the number of matches (e.g. Barry Gubba, or Gerad 'dodgy geezer' Sinstadt).

I say poach Martin Tyler from Sky (remember there was chat about him on these forums when he was 'demoted' for Ian Darke). Martin rules!

Motty is a red-faced sheepskin wearing Statto! :rotfl:

Rant over!

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Lesaux was unbearable at first and then moved into the down right annoying category when Crouch came on and he said something along the lines of Crouch having a good game on saturday with all the important play going through him!

I have always liked Peter Brackley as a commentator. Motson, Davies and Tyler are all pants in my opinion.

Not sure who would make a good co-commentator....Robbie Earle?

5. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Lesaux's classic commentary from last night - "You don't want Rooney to come in your box". Purile - yes but it made me laugh.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Me too :rotfl:

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    :rotfl: Yes, that was a 'corker'. Even better than this:-
    and scarily, he wasn't joking! :eek:

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    the guy who famously says things like 'Well, Clive, it's all about the two M's - movement and positioning', 'Now Manchester United are 2-1 down on aggregate, they are in a better position than when they started the game at 1-1' & 'I would not say that he (David Ginola) is one of the best left wingers in the Premiership, but there are none better.'

i could go on but i would :censored: myself laughing all night. he needs to be back on tele

9. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yeah, "he's just a lazy etc etc" (can't even put implied swear words, forum rules) about Desailly...

What a laugh!

10. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I think that nearly all the people who now chat about football on TV are rubbish. Especially the newer arrivals over the last few years:

Peter Schmichel, LeSaux, Bright, Redknapp, Dixon, Camara, Wright, Winterburn.

Can't wait to hear Shearer when he finally retires. Cure for insomnia there!! And Gerrard is even more boring!! Then there's little inoffensive Michael Owen.

I think the problem with it now is that there is too many old pals about. No-one will say anything that will offend an old mate. Here in Ireland we have a Premiership show on a Saturday night too but there are panelists (usually Eamon Dunphy, Johnny Giles and Liam Brady) who aren't afraid to get tore into some of the prima donnas. Makes very interesting viewing at times. Over on the British channels nothing. Too nice !!

Also, people shouldn't be allowed on to give a single view on football if they were rubbish themselves !! I mean what ever qualified Chris Camara to give any opinion on football. And that guy Bright as well. And LeSaux. And Spackman. I could go on.

Final thought - you haven't heard a bad co-commentator until you have sat through 90mins with Steve Claridge on Bravo. Jez!! All he does is laugh and joke and give infantile thoughts. And all at a volume that you can't make out properly. What a **** !!

Garth Crooks !!

Bye.

11. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Great post, SOK!

I agree with your sentiments entirely...

BUT - you have really scared the crap out of me with THIS statement:

The mere thought of Michael offering up half-time punditry, let alone a whole match of banal droning, is enough to send me into a padded cell... :suicide:

Please Mummy make it go away! :rotfl:

PS I just realised, could there not be some way to copy what BBC Athletics have done? Michael Johnson. Eminently qualified, intelligent, articulate, and NOT AFRAID TO PUT THE BOOT IN! Who would be the footballing equivalent?

12. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    i hate le saux and his false posh voice....really grates on me.

i usually put tv on mute and listen to the commentary on t'radio

cant beat a bit of jonathon pearce!

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Great post SOK. I'll have to ask my bro about the Dunphy, Giles, Brady thing. He loves Dunphy because he always gets stuck in regardless! :D

It wouldn't be allowed here. Someone like him might ruffle Murdoch or the premierships feathers. Thats why we get the sycophants like Le Saux rather than the likes of dunphy.

:D Ditto

I have, and you're right! It was unreal............. I really thought 'this has to be a wind up'!

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    When Sky cover Totesport or 20-20 cricket matches they usually drag up a player from each side into the commentary box and I have been surprised at how articulate most of them are.

15. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    for commentary i always turn to sky now, andy gray is quality and chris kamara on soccer special can turn a 0-0 draw at milton keynes into something spectacular ''THE CROWD HERE ARE AMAZING JOHN, JUST SEEN ENDLESS PEOPLE COMING AND GOING AND OOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! THEYVE JUST CONCIEDED A THROW IN! BRILLIANT!!!!! pure class
    BBC and ITV seem to have a curse where bad games and 0-0 draws are shown and i'd agree the comentators are poor and seem to struggle to say anything apart from 'coming up on itv next is' you can even hear the desperation in their voice pleading for a goal in some games

16. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Just looking at him makes me smile.

Just imagine trying to have a conversation with him in the street. :D

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766

Martin Tyler? :eek: and his idioitic ramblings???? As for Brian Moore best thing he ever did was retire . Barry Davies for me, at least he injects a bit of passion

18. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Mind yuou having said that I think the rugby boys do a far better job- Barnes and Morris

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :eek: :confused: :suicide:

Barry Davies? Passion? Are you sure? He always infuriated me because of the way he sucked the excitement out of the game :thumbsdow

Martin Tyler & Clive Tyldesley are the best commentators in the biz imho (even though this thread was about co-commentators!)

20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    sorry I cannot agree . They arev but one of the reasoms I refuse to watch footy on Sky. Keep meandering about god knows what completely unrelated to the match in question

21. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Agree with siete. Those two are awful. Still none of the sky team do anything more than suck up and talk drivel for fun............ :mad:

22. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Clive Tyldesley isn't on Sky, but never mind. I don't really understand the comment about the meandering commentary, but each to his own...