Football alternative training

Aldo79

Novice Member
I’ve played football on and off my whole life, interspersed with periods of running (10kms several times per week) and weight training. I’m now 42 years old and finding myself bruised, battered, in pain or injured almost every day, due to the physical nature of the sport.

For this reason, this will likely be my last season and I’m looking for other fitness options that might come close to football fitness. No matter how fit I’ve been in the past from running or weights, the second I go back to football I notice muscle pain in my back and stomach indicating the twisting and turning gives me a better workout. I feel more toned, lighter and generally healthy (when not injured) and wondered if anyone knew of a way to basically replicate football fitness, without playing football?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated

finbaar

Mate, I played rugby and football and they're hard on your body. Anything that replicates that - a martial art? - will likely be hard on your body as well. If someone knows a sport I'd be interested myself. Otherwise it's running and weights for me as well.

Aldo79

Novice Member
Mate, I played rugby and football and they're hard on your body. Anything that replicates that - a martial art? - will likely be hard on your body as well. If someone knows a sport I'd be interested myself. Otherwise it's running and weights for me as well.
Football is hard enough for me, rugby must be brutal on the body. I suppose if there was an easy answer we would all be doing it for pre season training, nothing prepares you for the first few games of the season when every muscle aches!

I think it’s the twisting and turning that’s missing from running and weights but unsure how to incorporate that into a routine

Stan Hope

Banned
I’ve played football on and off my whole life, interspersed with periods of running (10kms several times per week) and weight training. I’m now 42 years old and finding myself bruised, battered, in pain or injured almost every day, due to the physical nature of the sport.

For this reason, this will likely be my last season and I’m looking for other fitness options that might come close to football fitness. No matter how fit I’ve been in the past from running or weights, the second I go back to football I notice muscle pain in my back and stomach indicating the twisting and turning gives me a better workout. I feel more toned, lighter and generally healthy (when not injured) and wondered if anyone knew of a way to basically replicate football fitness, without playing football?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated
fella, after the football finished for me at 33 due to work commitments, i started to lift weights at a gym across the street from my digs, through that i met guys who were interested in ''cage fighting'' [i found them to be nice lads, but i'm sure some didn't share that opinion as they were late 30's going on 17 and being the hardest in the town was high up on their list of priorities} after a couple of years i move back home and found a proper MMA club, by this time i'm about 36 and easily a decade older than my new club mates, by 38, i'm pretty decent and miles fitter than any other time in my life {resting heart rate of 41 bpm} i'm not sure how your injured would be with the rolling around on the floor stuff, but boxing as a stand alone hobby is pretty good fun

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom