Food you just dont 'get'

Aj33

Distinguished Member
Salad!

The so called heathy option, drowned in dressing to try to make it palatable and in the process Jack the calories. Might as well have had something worth eating!

Boo Radley75

Tofu. Accidently shovelled a load of it on an all you can fit on a plate for one price, Chinese takeaway, once. Just tasteless and watery. If I was going veggie, I'd rather eat a bean burger or something, anything!

Poker Face

All fish, except fish fingers oddly.

And houmous. I don't get it.
No other breaded or battered fish? Nothing from the chippy with chips?

Not a fan of houmous, but love something you most probably hate - taramasalata - more fish!

AnilS

No other breaded or battered fish? Nothing from the chippy with chips?

Not a fan of houmous, but love something you most probably hate - taramasalata - more fish!

Very, very, occasionally, breaded or battered cod (only) out of the freezer.
I don't buy fish from the chippy as I find it too oily.

Lezman

Cold egg, especially hard boiled. It's the worst.

Celery, it just tastes awful and anyone who says otherwise is lying. Yes, it's fine with a load of blue cheese sauce on but just grab a spoon instead.

Fennel. I hate that flavour, will leave it out of any recipe.

Not keep on parsley either, can that go in the bin.

Watcher No1

I'll eat most things, but I have a few specific dislikes. Things chnage though - I found out a couple of weeks ago that fresh egg mayo sandwiches no longer give me the boak, and are actually quite nice.

Olives - keep trying them, they say. They all taste different, they say. The good ones are really nice, they say. Nope, horrid things, with a really odd taste and unpleasant texture. Minging.

Sprouts - I know my taste buds have changed over the years, so I have one every Christmas, and they're still horrid.

Cherries - Don't like them at all

Melon - It tastes like melon, and that's not nice.

Coffee flavoured things - I like a coffee (I prefer tea) but anything coffee flavoured, no matter how well made, is just wrong

Aetius

Faux meat.
There is so much fantastic vegetarian and vegan food out there, and people are going for these shaped lump of...not meat.

it seems to aim for the cheap mechanically reclaimed sludge in breadcrumbs market. But if people are eating that rubbish in the first place...

Thug

Sprouts - I know my taste buds have changed over the years, so I have one every Christmas, and they're still horrid.

Coffee flavoured things - I like a coffee (I prefer tea) but anything coffee flavoured, no matter how well made, is just wrong
You are doing sprouts wrongly.
Do you have an air fryer? If so then wash and prepare your sprouts, put them in a bag with a bit of olive oil, and season them, then air fry them until cooked (20 mins give or take). Better still throw some lardons in there too halfway through cooking.
I promise, you will love them.

I am with you there about coffee. I love coffee, but dont get coffee flavoured food at all.
Coffee is a hot drink and nothing else.
Same as cold tea, it makes me gag just writing this, never mind drinking it.

Watcher No1

You are doing sprouts wrongly.
Do you have an air fryer? If so then wash and prepare your sprouts, put them in a bag with a bit of olive oil, and season them, then air fry them until cooked (20 mins give or take). Better still throw some lardons in there too halfway through cooking.

I am with you there about coffee. I love coffee, but dont get coffee flavoured food at all.
Coffee is a hot drink and nothing else.
Same as cold tea, it makes me gag just writing this, never mind drinking it.
Sprouts are passable if shredded and fried with bacon, but cabbage is better.

Everyone else in the house likes them done traditionally (but not boiled to death), so I'll stick with my current 1spa (sprout per annum) regime :)

Laureline

I've just had a toasted bagel, lol. I haven't had one for years but then Morrisons included a pack in our home delivery this week by accident. I quite enjoy their chewy texture but they're not something I'd eat, normally.

I couldn't eat a plain, toasted bagel I have to have a schmear on it which then causes problems as to what flavour bagel goes with what spread.

Recently I've been having Dutch Apple bagel with a Chive and Onion schmear. My partner says the two do not go with one another

jojo01

I couldn't eat a plain, toasted bagel I have to have a schmear on it which then causes problems as to what flavour bagel goes with what spread.

Recently I've been having Dutch Apple bagel with a Chive and Onion schmear. My partner says the two do not go with one another
I'm with your husband I'm afraid.

Fruit with savoury stuff doesn't work for me. I have to pick the sultanas out of my biryani!

StormySeas

Standard Member
I'm maybe biased as I don't like fruit and meat together and I'm not a fan of sultanas.
Fruit and meat/cheese can work really well. A salad including palma or any cured ham and strawberries and kiwi fruit is beautiful. Grapes in a soft blue cheese pasta salad go so well. Plums roasted with duck yum.

AstraLeMort

Standard Member
Avocado. The texture is like the last sliver of a bar of soap that's been left in water too long.
Fish/seafood of any kind. That fishy smell just makes me gag.
Not fond of fruit with savoury things. In Canada a few years ago, I ordered a chicken salad. It had strawberries in it. I like strawberries, but not in a chicken salad. Just wrong.
Basil and coriander. Overpowering.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member

And how wrong and empty those promises would be.

They're disgusting, they're the devil's vegetable, that's why our parents scored the sign of the cross on the top of them before boiling them out of existence in holy water.

Slightly sideways. Flavoured coffee. I've never tried one I like, unless it had booze in it.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
Avocado. The texture is like the last sliver of a bar of soap that's been left in water too long.
Fish/seafood of any kind. That fishy smell just makes me gag.
Not fond of fruit with savoury things. In Canada a few years ago, I ordered a chicken salad. It had strawberries in it. I like strawberries, but not in a chicken salad. Just wrong.
Basil and coriander. Overpowering.
You were doing so well until Basil and Coriander!

😉😂

StormySeas

Standard Member
I always notice on threads like this avocado comes up a lot. I really like it but it is really difficult to get it at the right stage of ripeness. To ripe and its soft and mushy - ugh - under ripe its hard and tasteless.

Just right and it's a thing of joy.

IronGiant

I like avocado, but I despair about the amount I throw away because at first it wasn't ready, then I answered the doorbell and by the time I came back to the fruit bowl it had gone over.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021