Folding@Home - F@H Use your computer's spare processing to help find a cure.

Sonic67

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder about Folding@Home or F@H.

You download a program to your computer and the program uses spare processing power on your computer.

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. The project uses the idle processing resources of personal computers owned by volunteers who have installed the software on their systems.

In March of 2020, Folding@home launched a program to assist researchers around the world who are working on finding a cure and learning more about the COVID-19 outbreak. The initial wave of projects simulate potentially druggable protein targets from SARS-CoV-2 virus, and the related SARS-CoV virus, of which there is significantly more data available.[86][87]

After initial quality control and limited testing phases, Folding@home team has released an initial wave of projects simulating potentially druggable protein targets from SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) and the related SARS-CoV virus (for which more structural data is available) into full production on Folding@home.

The Coronavirus is causing lots of problems around the world, and it can feel a bit unfair that many of us are home living our lives, unable to help. However, that doesn't mean we can't do anything. Folding@Home announced that it is taking the fight to the Coronavirus, and you can donate your computer's leftover processing resources to help researchers find a cure.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project run by the Stanford University, aimed at learning about protein folding with the purpose of fighting disease. Distributed computing means that rather than using one big supercomputer, Folding@Home relies on users donating their computer's reserve power to the organization as a charity. By concentrating the computing power of the untold masses on singular problems, the organization can wield the power of a supercomputer, but without the cost.

1584138239679.png

1584138351003.png

1584138085764.png

My PC rebooted the first time I tried it, lowered my CPU overclock and trying again. Ryzen 3900x 12 core @ 4.3ghz seems stable now

GPU is at 0% don't know whey that's not bothering! (added/removed it and it's working now)

Don't even know if this is related to the coronavirus, it doesn't say much in the app. It's set to any disease

1584139932911.png

Last edited:
Don't even know if this is related to the coronavirus, it doesn't say much in the app. It's set to any disease
Set it to "ANY" unless you have a preference for something else. They are prioritising COVID19 when it is set to ANY.

1584141364673.png

I used to have this on the PS3. They removed it a long time ago for some reason

I wondered why I hadn't had any fresh work units.

1584445440552.png

Out of work units again.

1584649884307.png

1584649911548.png

Propelled by average enthusiasts in their shared quest to defeat COVID-19, the Folding@Home network is now pushing out 470 PetaFLOPS of raw compute power. To put that in perspective, that's twice as fast as Summit, the world's fastest supercomputer, making the network faster than any known supercomputer. It's also faster than the top seven supercomputers in the world, combined.

I had it running on max yesterday. My PC is in a caddy under my metal desk. The whole desk was warm to the touch after 4 hours, it was lovely.

Up and running :)

1585245716865.png

1585245768258.png

1585245797860.png

But can it run Crysis?

And not forgetting "a rival."

Both Rosetta@home and Folding@home study protein misfolding diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, but Folding@home does so much more exclusively.[79][80] Folding@home almost exclusively uses all-atom molecular dynamics models to understand how and why proteins fold (or potentially misfold, and subsequently aggregate to cause diseases).[81][82] In other words, Folding@home's strength is modeling the process of protein folding, while Rosetta@home's strength is computing protein design and predicting protein structure and docking.

1585246356050.png

1585246446211.png

1585246419155.png

Just set this up. Is it worth joining a team? If so any recommendations? Is there an AVF Team?

Mine seems to only be using my GPU and not CPU at the moment.

I am with the Custom PC team as I was always with them and when you hit milestones it was published in the magazine.

From an interview.

Screenshot_20200327-101130_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-101200_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-101317_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200327-101333_Chrome.jpg

Last 3 WU have been GPU, anyone else getting CPU WUs?

I finished the GPU earlier and now it’s obviously downloaded some more and I now have both CPU and GPU going strong.

I finished the GPU earlier and now it’s obviously downloaded some more and I now have both CPU and GPU going strong.
Mine was sat idle for over an hour. Just quit the F@H app and restarted it and it's grabbed a new CPU WU....

Simulating protein folding on the millisecond timescale has been a major challenge for many years. In one work, Folding@home researchers Vincent Voelz, Greg Bowman, Kyle Beauchamp, and Vijay Pande broke this barrier, folding the protein NTL9. This is a movie of one of the trajectories that folded (i.e. started unfolded and ended up in the folded state). From simulations like these, we have found some new surprises in how proteins fold.

Out of work units again.

Screenshot_20200331-094743_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20200331-095003_Twitter.jpg

Just set this up. Is it worth joining a team? If so any recommendations? Is there an AVF Team?

Mine seems to only be using my GPU and not CPU at the moment.

I think there is an AVF team that seems to be active, 54579. It will only use GPU when screensaver kicks in or it Folding Power is at Medium or above. Your CPU should be used already...

If I want to join a team, do I have to 'apply' or how does it work?

If I want to join a team, do I have to 'apply' or how does it work?
In your settings you put the team number in the "team slot."

In your settings you put the team number in the "team slot."
Ah is that all? I wasn't sure if you had to apply first :) thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom