Folding Bike Recommendations

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I'm looking for a folding bike which I can stick under my desk at work and take on a train. Money's tight so I'm looking for a reliable solid machine at a budget. I have zero knowledge of folding bikes so any suggestions are well appreciated.

Hitby

Second the Brompton - I have a friend that rode to Paris on one from London and it didn't skip a beat!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Third the Brompton.

My dad has one and he's not a little man by any measure. His has been faultless (although a fat man on a small bycycle does look funny)

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestions. The Brompton looks good but at about £700 quid it's a little out of my budget although I could walk to work for a few months, save up and get it. The other thing I'm not too keen on the Brompton is the small wheels, making it harder to pedal.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestions. The Brompton looks good but at about £700 quid it's a little out of my budget although I could walk to work for a few months, save up and get it. The other thing I'm not too keen on the Brompton is the small wheels, making it harder to pedal.

I would have thought most "fold away" bikes have small wheels?

I have never ridden one, they always look a bit daft, they only seem to be ridden with people with beards and cord trousers where I live :confused:

I can see the appeal, but does the bike have to go under your desk, no bike parking facilities? Would a full size bike not do?

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I would have thought most "fold away" bikes have small wheels?

I have never ridden one, they always look a bit daft, they only seem to be ridden with people with beards and cord trousers where I live :confused:

I can see the appeal, but does the bike have to go under your desk, no bike parking facilities? Would a full size bike not do?
I understand the wheels would be small on most folding bikes. I had a recky of the workplace last week and there were no obvious places to keep a bike, if they do have facilities then that would be great. A folding bike would, however be better for storage at home as well. The house we've bought ,the previous owner demolished the garage, so there's little or no room to store a full size bike. There's a couple of out buildings but we've filled them with other stuff we'd normally keep in a garage. Until we get the garage built a folding bike would be a better option.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom