• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Folders gone? Locked folder?

ynot

Hi, im hoping for a little help here

I seem to have lost all the contents of a folder.

I keep all my music on in a folder on my external hard drive. But the folder now has nothing in it? Yet itunes still finds the file. The amount of space thats on the hard drive would indicate the music is still on there, but it says there are zero files and zero bites stored in that folder.
I also cant add new folders in the said folder.

Have i managed to lock the folder and hide the content?

Any help and suggestions would be great.

Big

Hi, im hoping for a little help here

I seem to have lost all the contents of a folder.

I keep all my music on in a folder on my external hard drive. But the folder now has nothing in it? Yet itunes still finds the file. The amount of space thats on the hard drive would indicate the music is still on there, but it says there are zero files and zero bites stored in that folder.
I also cant add new folders in the said folder.

Have i managed to lock the folder and hide the content?

Any help and suggestions would be great.

First question is are the iTunes files actually in that folder? iTunes has a default that adds music to the iTunes folder in the Music directory. Easy way is to right click on a music file in iTunes and select info to see where it is.

Try restoring permissions on the disk using Disk Utility to see if that resolves the issue. I assume you have already ejected and reemounted the drive?

CamFire

Distinguished Member
It is possible that you cannot see those files if you are not the owner in the first place. Go in as a admin user, right-click on that folder, do Get Info > Sharing & Permissions and check the attributes for "everyone".

ynot

Thanks for the replies.

The music isnt stored in itunes. If i get info on a song its source is on the external hard drive, in the folder it should be that i can no longer see.

I have turned off the hard drive and unplugged it from the airport extreme.

I can see all other folders on the hard drive. Its just the "Albums" folder that is now empty. And i cant add folders into it anymore.

I used to be able to see the contents, i was just adding a folder in there, i left it to copy then when i next looked everything was gone??

ynot

I just connected the hard drive directly to the macbook via usb and all the folders are there? I can also add folders, everything is as it should be, apart from i have a Alias, not sure what one is but i cant open it or delete it.

Ive put the hard drive back on the network and i can no longer see the folders?

I dont know whats going on but its getting annoying.

Phunky

Have you always used this hard drive on your Macbook or have you just moved over from Windows?

If the drive is formatted for NTFS then your Macbook will only be able to read the files, which explains why iTunes can see and use them but you can't write them.

If this is not the case and you only use it on OS X then never mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom