Fog in North London

grey fox

Established Member
Reaction score
As I left work it seemed as though someone had stolen the world. It hasn't been this foggy here for years. I have posted pics of the same view of the Emirates stadium for a comparison. As you can see it's a real pea souper. Now I just got to hope for a white Christmas.

Attachments

• stadium1.jpg
    stadium1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 157
  • stadium_fog.jpg
    stadium_fog.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 173
Indeed, I couldn't see the end of our driveway when I looked out of the window at 6am today.

Thinking about setting up a webcam on my roof... hmmm...

Very foggy for us too.

Now there has been some fog, i look forward to driving behind the inconsiderate :censored: who leave their fog lights on in good weather :mad:

I bet they're the people who don't put lights on at all when it's foggy......seen loads today without lights and it's quite bad here

ha ha ha. . . I live on a cliff in the north east of scotland and its regularly engulfed in fog/har when its decent weather down south. For the record its been beautiful and sunny here today :D

good for you....I hope you don't fall off :D

I could only see one and a half white lines in front of me last night...it was terrible...(No Robbie Fowler jokes please)...

West London and Berkshire are still covered in fog.

The roads must full of Jedi as loads of cars are driving about with no :censored: lights on :mad:

You young whipper-snappers don't know what thick fog is. :D I was born & bred in North London in the days when winter smog was commonplace (smog = smoke + fog). In those days trains were steam loco hauled and houses had coal fires. Smog had a high sulphur content and was a killer for people with respiratory problems. I recall cycling along in one pea-souper with a trolleybus following me as a navigation aid. On another occasion I wanted a turning on the right, but could not across the road. I had to guess where it was and ride blind until reaching the farside kerb. It was easy to completely lose one's way and there were instances of people following another vehicle and ending up in their driveway. End of reminisce.

Ah Bizman, like you, I also remember those days.
The fog was so thick that the railway companies, LNER in my case, had to put "FOG SIGNALS" on the lines to let the drivers know that the signals were against them, because they couldn't see them at all.
These were explosive detonators, in two inch brown metal cases which were strapped on the line, and went off with a terrific BANG when the engine rolled over them, so powerful that it could be heard a mile away.
Impossible to use today, as people would think that terrorists were at work.

It was easy to completely lose one's way and there were instances of people following another vehicle and ending up in their driveway.

You say that like it's a good thing.:rolleyes: I don't understand people saying things like "In my day we had to make do with a stick and a piece of string for fun". How is that better than now in any way?

I'm sick of the fog. It's spoiling chistmas for a lot of people. I've never known it to linger for so long.

Why can't they seed the clouds or something? Would that work? It worked for Moscow for many years to divert snow.

You say that like it's a good thing.:rolleyes: I don't understand people saying things like "In my day we had to make do with a stick and a piece of string for fun". How is that better than now in any way?

I don't think he said it was a good thing at all....just that it was really bad and worse than we have now.

HI,

I have to confess, that I find the situation rather sad! It's teh 21st Century, we get a bit of heavy fog, and suddenly the whole bloody transport network in and out of Britain collapses on itself! :rotfl:

I'm not taking the mickey out of anyone who's trying to get back home or to their destinations, for the Christmas holidays, (and I do have genuine sympathy for anyone stuck in the middle of this problem), but I find it difficult to understand how weather like fog can cause our entire nation to come to a standstill, and have the news channels wetting themselves to tell us the warts-and-all story of the "Incredible Travel Chaos!"

- Planes can't get in or out of London and most other major airports.
- The train networks are saying that they're putting on extra trains, and some companies have removed the restriction of cheap-tickets, but have also warned everyone that you shouldn't try buying a ticket or arriving at a station, and try to get on board a train, unless you've pre-booked a ticket, as you won't be allowed to board at all!
- Half of the motorway network has come to a stanstill, or is likely to do so over the next few days, with roadworks, traffic accidents and general restrictions caused by the sheer number of people trying to go somewhere for the holidays.
- And even the coach networks, have found tickets flying off the shelves (metaphorically speaking), with sales increases of over 50% in the past 24 hours.

So basically, it seems that once again, 21st Century Britain, has the transport system of a third-world nation, purely because of a bit of bad weather!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pooch

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom