FOG, and another accident waiting to happen

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sat here this morning, looking out over a section of the A!M, and the fog is pretty thick - so much so infact, that i cant see the houses at the opposite side of the motorway. Yet i would extimate that the traffic travlelling north and south bound, have in general, reduced their speed by no more than 20mph, from the usual rate. Oh, and many travelling LESS than a car lengths apart :eek: . Is this a mass 'it wont happen to me' syndrome or what :rolleyes:

YUP.. Pick up the phone dial two nines and wait for it all to happen:thumbsup:

I reckon that at least 50% of drivers don't leave at least a two second gap any of the time. In other words half of the UK's drivers tailgate.
Ridiculous. :mad:

I reckon that at least 50% of drivers don't leave at least a two second gap any of the time. In other words half of the UK's drivers tailgate.
Ridiculous. :mad:

A quick tap on my brake light generally shifts the bug:censored:rs. :devil:

Seriously though, I caught a mention on the news the other day that police will be issuing on-the-spot fines/points to tailgaters in future. :thumbsup:

Last week I was working away and had to travel oop North to Darlington for a few days on site.

Instead of staying in Darlington itself, I stayed over at my mothers home in Lancashire to be able to vist and cut the journey time to about 2hrs / 2.5hrs instead of the 6hrs it would from where I live now.

I hired a car instead of taking mine ... didn't want to put the mileage on my Saab and my 300zx is for short weekend runs only.
Instead of the 1.6 focus I hired, they gave me a 4x4 Xtrail :)

Now since I had this 4x4 I travelled over the tops rather than the motorway on the way up -- a lovely trip if a little hard work, traveling straight north up from Skipton, past Grassington and up towards Aysgarth and then on to Richmond.

The roads and valley bottoms were flooded and I saw numerous people struggling to travel which slowed me down somewhat. The roads I am talking about are the type with dry stone walls and passing spots traveling along the sides of hills through beautiful old villages and old stone bridges.

So on the way back, I decided to drive back down the A1 then cut back through Harrogate and Rippon - and over the Blubberhouses past Menwith Hill base.

It was a wet day, and as always, although I drive quite quickly, I leave alot of room between myself and those infront ..... many drivers seemed to think that this was for them to come down the inside of me then pull in.
This keeps happening time after time. For some reason many drivers seem to assume that because I am not stuck up the backside of the car infront trying to push him out the way, that I am holding them up..... and think risking my life and theirs to do so is a perfectly valid option.

The reason I mentioned the trip and the route, is because as these numpties were driving like loons, I thought to myself how they are probably going to kill someone and themselves ..... and low and behold, I had to queue to get past the emergency services cutting a car from underneath a lorry further down the A1.
I then had to take a diversion at Menwith Hill ..... police closed the road for another serious accident ...... and then they closed the main road through a town called Earby for yet another accident.

I personally will not close the gap to stop people getting in .... becasue it's really dangerous, but I see plenty of people doing it.

It was a wet day, and as always, although I drive quite quickly, I leave alot of room between myself and those infront ..... many drivers seemed to think that this was for them to come down the inside of me then pull in.
This keeps happening time after time. For some reason many drivers seem to assume that because I am not stuck up the backside of the car infront trying to push him out the way, that I am holding them up..... and think risking my life and theirs to do so is a perfectly valid option.

I personally will not close the gap to stop people getting in .... becasue it's really dangerous, but I see plenty of people doing it.

:mad: I really hate ar:censored:ole drivers like those too. First they flash you to get out the way, then they overtake you in the slow lane, and then cut infront of you into that space. :mad::mad::mad:

:mad: I really hate ar:censored:ole drivers like those too. First they flash you to get out the way, then they overtake you in the slow lane, and then cut infront of you into that space. :mad::mad::mad:

aye -- only then to work out the reason you were doing 65 is because there 5 cars infront of you doing the same.

...I caught a mention on the news the other day that police will be issuing on-the-spot fines/points to tailgaters in future. :thumbsup:

How will they do that?

I presume they'll overtake on the inside, wind a window down, and slap a ticket on the offender's windscreen as the police car tucks into the tiny gap in front. :lesson:

:D But how on earth could the Police prosecute someone tailgaiting me if the nearest Police car is, say, ten miles away? :confused:

I agree with what you are saying, totally, but what is even worse in my book are the drivers who drive in the middle or outside lanes when not overtaking, they really get my goat.

Martin

I agree with what you are saying, totally, but what is even worse in my book are the drivers who drive in the middle or outside lanes when not overtaking, they really get my goat.

Martin
OK that's not good but they don't threaten your life like tailgaters do.

Martin

If the road is clear ahead and there is no traffic infront of them on the left lane - then they should be getting over.

However, I have often found I have been overtaking traffic and someone for example pulls infront of me to overtake a lorry in the middle lane - I slow down to allow him to and then follow him past the lorry.
He then carries on in front of me past some gaps as he is trying to overtake as well - albeit slower than me ... then a loon comes up behind me and whips into a gap undertaking me then cuts in front.
This usually happens during the 50 to 100 yrd gaps between a lorry and a car I am trying to overtake.

If the road is clear ahead and there is no traffic infront of them on the left lane - then they should be getting over.

However, I have often found I have been overtaking traffic and someone for example pulls infront of me to overtake a lorry in the middle lane - I slow down to allow him to and then follow him past the lorry.
He then carries on in front of me past some gaps as he is trying to overtake as well - albeit slower than me ... then a loon comes up behind me and whips into a gap undertaking me then cuts in front.
This usually happens during the 50 to 100 yrd gaps between a lorry and a car I am trying to overtake.

Yes I know what you mean. I was refering to when the road is clear.

Martin

I have to say.. that if you often find yourself undertaken... you are probably doing something wrong ;)

Try the left lane :)

The middle lane is full of people daydreaming instead of concentrating. And I will admit that I have no qualm with staying in the inside lane and going past somebody sitting in the middle lane who has no reason to be there at that moment in time.

Disclaimer: I do realise that there are times when you have to stay in the middle lane, so dont take it personally.
:)

On the theme of the thread -
kinda makes you wish that the cats eyes had been maintained when this weather drops on us.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom