Focus ST decision!?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by SuperKip, Sep 17, 2007.

1. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Morning all, a bit of advise please if anyone can help.

I've Been thinking about getting a Focus ST for a couple of months now and finally test drove one at the weekend, which has really got me close to going for it.

I have always liked and owned sporty hatchbacks but since having kids I have been forced to go the MPV route for the last 3-4 years. That could now change because of a bit of extra cash available (missus back to work) and the age of my two boys being a bit older (no need to carry quite so much baby stuff).

So, anyone got one or know a bit about these?

My main concern is the running costs (insurance, servicing, tyres, tax and mainly fuel consumption). I'm 32 and the missus 28, both with full no claims so hopefully the insurance won't be too bad and I'm looking at an ST-2 on a 56 reg. I will probably do just 10-12k a year and before anyone asks why the ST? It's because I want a newer performance car with a bit of room and the focus seems quite roomy with a large boot.

I have currently got a Renault Scenic 1.9 diesel at the moment :( and would like a rough idea of how much more a year the ST will cost us.

All advice appreciated :smashin:

Thanks,

Karl.

2. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    The only part of the running costs that would put me off (being, like you, a family man) would be the petrol.

I've had very worthwhile 2-week long demo's of an ST; both times my average mpg was around 24! Having fun with the car brings it lower than that....:(

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Superkip - I have had a new Focus ST-2 since febuary this year and have to say the car is very quick indeed but also very refined in it's drive, i did look at a few other performance cars in the same price bracket but tbh the Ford came out best and i took the 5 door version which is very pratical and that boot is massive which is another bonus.

Ref to Running costs it does drink petrol pretty fast especially if you have a heavy foot like mine, but i would say i spend just over £40 a week on petrol which is not too bad considering i drive into work and sit in heavy traffic.

I have had to change 1 tyre since owning it and they come in at roughly £180 each...also the insurance for me works out at £497 fully comp and i am 36 with full no claims discount.

I have not had my 1st service yet but have been told that is £128, again not bad either !

Out of all the options and test drives with other cars i do still love the drive of the ST and the power delivery is very smooth indeed, it just has so much torque on offer and cruising on the motorways is a real pleasure !

Highly recommend it :thumbsup:

4. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :cool: A week long demo, how do you blag that???

5. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I really like the look of the 3 door, but think i'll have to go the 5 door route too.

How many Miles do you do each week, as this is my main area of concern!

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I probably do approx 140 miles a week.

7. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Thanks, sounds like it drinks a bit:eek:

I probably do about 200 miles per week on average.

Just being nosey now, but what colour did you go for? and were there any extras you got on yours (or not) that you would recommend?

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My car is pictured in the AVForums garage thread HERE ! which is a sticky at the top of the forum.

I have the visibility pack as extra and rear parking sensors .

9. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    That was a typo on my part...I've had two separate 2-week long demo's!

I didn't blag it either...I was considering it (twice) in my old company as a company car and Ford gave me the car for a fortnight each time!

Steve :)

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest sdb123, what did you go for in the end ?

11. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    recruit - Your car is gorgeous! That is the missus favourite colour and I must say it's probably the best looking 5 door i've seen.

It's also one of my favourite colours, I don't really like the orange anymore (did when it was released), the grey is nice but a tad plain, black looks great when clean but i've had a lot of black cars so fancy a change. I see a white 3 door the other day which looked superb, but I have a niggling feeling that it is just the 'now' colour again and I will regret it later - especially when dirty.

So that leaves Red, Silver and Blue. i think the Red looks great in 3 door but haven't seen a 5, i've yet to see a silver in the flesh and I definately like the blue.

Ahhh, decisions decisions :D

12. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Performance Blue all the way!

13. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    John, I forgot to look at your pictures before...shes certainly a beaut! :thumbsup:

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Chris :)

15. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Great cars to drive but they depreciate like bricks due to the amount of unsold stock Ford have.

Make sure you shop around as pre registered delivery mileage ST2's are widely available from dealers at £15,995 on the road making them a great buy at this price.

If you buy one or look at one make sure the boot doesnt leak and that the under edge of the doors have been painted properly.

I am looking into one of these as a run around , I love the car but not keen on the ownership costs of the car due to depreciation also remember a facelift is coming out early next year which will dent values even more.

16. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    blue or orange or the new black version with the orange detail for the st only me thinks

17. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    If the running costs are going to put you off what about a sporty diesel like the Leon, then get it chipped? While it won't be as fast (20% down on power against the ST) it will feel faster pulling away or for in gear acceleration because it has more torque (20% more torque against the ST).

At 25 to the gallon and assuming you put in super unleaded you are going to be putting in £40 a week if you are careful, with the diesel you should be putting in £20 a week assuming 45 to the gallon (achievable as my Misses newly chipped C4 at 170bhp+ gets more than that).

Workings out at saving of about a grand a year on fuel, not that much really when you consider the difference in performance and grin factor. I guess it gets worse if you add on the insurance, servicing, tyres and tax savings, probably make it over £4K over three years. :(

18. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I read that it would not depreciate as much as some of it's competitors and previous 'hot fords'?

Yes, I did read about the new shape focus aswell, are they making a new shape ST or RS for launch or will that follow a year or so later?

19. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

I must admit the running costs are making stall a bit on this, but I can't think of another car at the moment that tugs at my heart strings like the focus does and that still has all the good bits to keep the missus happy (big boot, 5 star NCAP, roomy interior and a good looking car). And I really did want to steer away from a diesel this time.

20. SuperKip

SuperKip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    By the way does anyone know if these come with Isofix fittings for child seats, or if not can the fixings be retro fitted?

21. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Golf GTi? or an Audi A3 with the same engine?

Both will cost a lot less in the long run. They should both return 30mpg and the depreciation on either wll be a lot lower then the Ford.

A mate has the 170bhp Audi diesel (in the sporty spec) and it looks mint. Also does 40mpg.

22. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372

Leon Cupra R (225) will tick all the boxes, very pretty, plenty of space for 4 adults and very fast. Ecconomy is not too bad either.

23. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

I have an A3 quattro Sline 2.0 turbo with all the whistles and bells and it is very cheap to run and insure Its remapped to 250bhp and 270lb/ft and I get 30mpg and pay £450 fully comp with the remap declared. The servicing is reasonable to if its on the longlife schedule. The only downside is its not that much fun to drive. Theres nothing wrong with it and its faster than an ST or similar but its a bit to refined for my liking anyway.

24. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The problem is you can buy a new ST2 for 16k all in thats 20% of list price .

With Ford doing all these deals on them the 2nd hand value has plummeted accordingly. If you can buy one cheap then they are a great car . At 12k- 13k for a year old ST2 you cant go wrong

25. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,302
    I assume that this should be 20% off list price ?!!

I'm amazed that you can't get much more than 25mpg for this type of car? I can often get that out of my 3.8l 911, and that's driven short distances and pretty enthusiastically!

Having said that my wife's A3 2.0T doesn't do much more than 25mpg, albeit that it never gets driven for more than 5-10 minutes at a time!!

Go with the Focus ST - Great handling car, and you clearly want one! Just make sure you get a good deal when you buy it!
    :lesson:
    Sidicks

26. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You can get better fuel economy in general on most turbo charged cars if you remap them. Manufacturers tend to map the cars with a rich fuel air ratio to allow for the different fuel qualities the car will be subjected to in the various countries they are sold.

You can get similar MPG from your porsche engine because its not paricularly high revving is running in a low state of tune and has a relatively low specific output by todays standards for a N/A engine. To put this into perspective your 3.8 litre porsche engine only produces about 15lb/ft more torque than my little remapped Audi A3 ,My A3's making around 125bhp and 135lb/ft per litre your porsche is only making 90 bhp per litre and 80lb/ft per litre (if your porsche is the 350bhp 3.8 that is)

27. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I too pondered over the new ST focus.
    Nice car , very refined.
    Coming from an Evo VI though it was very under whelming , to be expected i suppose.
    Still very nice car to drive and looks great IMO.
    I've decided to wait for the Evo X , due in feb/mar 2008.

28. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Think of all the money you will save on fuel !!!!!!!!!

All the cars I have driven and owned since my modded 6 have been a little undewhelming.

The St is a good little compromise car in my opinion and quite good fun but a bit slow :D

29. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I was going for a ST170 but the bland styling put me off. At least the Asbo looks the business :thumbsup:

30. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    they do look great

Looking forward to seeing the one the local dealer is getting hold of for me in blue.

Give it a week and no doubt I will be getting the 290bhp conversion from BBR if I go ahead and buy the car :D Max Power I love it:thumbsup::rotfl:

I am only 37 not old enough for an Audi yet :D