Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos Speaker Package Review & Comments

Where is this available for £975?

Very good idea. The rubber stands are nice too, similar to Genelec isopods.

Are they £1099 or £975?

Also, you’ve got a couple of compliments that should be complements :).

Im moving into my new home next month and the room ive booked for my space is 3.5 m by 3.8m space .... was thinking about this package for a dolby atmos setup, i cant cut the ceiling space..

Another positive review for Sib`s, no suprise there! The sister US site praiced the speakers aswell saying they play louder than one expects from the size and they have the usual Focal signature sound (forward w/ lot`s of treble detail). But some people and reviews notice that the subwoofer is not on par with the speakers as is the case often. Focal should also give option to buy this as a speaker package only.

FYI Mark from AVS tested this system with dual JL Audio F112s and said;

"I can testify that the switch transformed it into something that kicked a lot more ass."

"The Atmos height effect is very clear and effective, but while watching a clip from Everest, the sub either clipped or bottomed out. It reinforces my feeling that the satellites outperform the sub."

I recently bought this package for my master bedroom and will agree that at the price-point it's immensely great value.
A few tips which I've garnered through experience with my setup running them with Audyssey:
  • I like to run the sub a few db hot to give it that extra oomph. There is a substantial difference between Audyssey's default calibration, however you don't want to overdo this as you'll run into distortion. The way I do this is I turn up the volume on the sub just beyond the half-way point that Audyssey recommends and then crank up the sub's levels in my AVR post calibration by ~3db.
  • In the setup literature, Focal recommends having the rears pointed straight at a 90° angle, however I've found that angling them slightly towards the listener (as per Dolby's recommended speaker placement) tends to make sound more immersive.
  • The centre channel can be rotated to minimise height (and that's again what Focal suggests in their setup guide), however I actually have my centre positioned vertically as I have enough clearance to not obstruct my OLED. From what I have read, this can lead to a sonic improvement since the tweeters of all fronts will be closer aligned.
  • Audyssey was setting my crossovers at somewhat random levels after each calibration, but Focal recommends 80hz so I set those manually post-calibration.
  • I also bought Focal's Hip Evo stands for the rears. I'll admit the setup diagrams weren't the best, however the stands themselves are solid and provide a very good look to the overall package if you don't have existing stands.
  • By default the front Left and Right channels are positioned in a manner whereby the Atmos upfirers are angled straight. You'll want to adjust their position on the rubber stands to maximise the angle at which the Atmos speakers fire.
Overall very content with my purchase. Note: I'm in Australia where AVR gear is notoriously expensive, but I managed to buy this package through an authorised Focal distributor at a price-point which is even lower than the equivalent RRP in other parts of the world - a huge win.
When 11.x AVRs become cheaper I'll likely purchase another pair of the Atmos Sib speakers and run a 7.1.4 setup!

Very good idea. The rubber stands are nice too, similar to Genelec isopods.

Are they £1099 or £975?

Also, you’ve got a couple of compliments that should be complements :).
Sorry about that, I keep typing compliment instead of complement. The list price is £1,099, and the package is still a Best Buy at that price, but if you shop around I'm sure you can pick it up for just under a grand.

I have the 1st generation sib's in my movie room set up, and they carry out the side and rear surround duties (sib XL sides and sib rears) with a nice set of 800 series special editions doing the front speakers.
Good to see these new sib range have 5 inch drivers - will be a slightly bigger cabinet I'm guessing but still quite neat and tidy. A lot of 'bookshelf' speakers will be 5.25 inch drivers so almost the same driver size as a small bookshelf in a much more compact package - has to be a good thing.

I can't really fault the 1st gen sibs so I'm sure these new ones are a great step up. As mentioned in the review - a couple more sibs to support surround sides and surround rears would be a good shout. Listening to Mad Max fury road, as alluded to in the review, there will be the odd gap in the surround field but having both sides and rear surrounds would really help here. The whispering voices on the Mad Max intro sound excellent that way on my 1st gen set up - almost spooky - helps the speakers 'disappear' that little bit better and becomes more involving as a result.

I also have a nice 7 channel atmos system in my living room, using the well regarded MA radius lifestyle speakers. Not much in it to be honest but I would give the edge to the focals overall. I do prefer the look of the MA radius though but you'll have to fork out even more cash to get the equivalent set up from Monitor Audio - which makes the focals a pretty good buy I would say, especially since you're getting 5 inch drive units with these new focal sibs....

I have the 1st generation sib's in my movie room set up, and they carry out the side and rear surround duties (sib XL sides and sib rears) with a nice set of 800 series special editions doing the front speakers.
Good to see these new sib range have 5 inch drivers - will be a slightly bigger cabinet I'm guessing but still quite neat and tidy. A lot of 'bookshelf' speakers will be 5.25 inch drivers so almost the same driver size as a small bookshelf in a much more compact package - has to be a good thing.
Once (hopefully) these arrive up I may pair them with my Tannoy sub since the reviews tend to mention the satellites being better than the sub which apparently "bottoms out".
*edit* But on further reading they seem pretty similar to my TS2.8 except that it is ported. The TS2.8 is an 8+8 design.

Thanks @Steve Withers for the heads up. Do you have any advice on my woofer (I won't call them subs) dilemma?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once (hopefully) I pick these up I may pair them with my Tannoy sub since the reviews tend to mention the satellites being better than the sub which apparently "bottoms out".
Its got an 8 inch driver. I guess its only going to be able to replicate the equivalent bass of a decent floor stander, rather than an actual 'subwoofer'. In fact, its probably better described as a bass enhancer rather than a subwoofer - anything that doesn't tickle 20hz or below isn't really a subwoofer in my book lol. My systems are backed up with a BK sub and a Sunfire sub and they just about get to that 20hz region before running out of puff - these 30-35hz subs just don't really cut the mustard versus a proper standalone sub :)

Its got an 8 inch driver. I guess its only going to be able to replicate the equivalent bass of a decent floor stander, rather than an actual 'subwoofer'. In fact, its probably better described as a bass enhancer rather than a subwoofer - anything that doesn't tickle 20hz or below isn't really a subwoofer in my book lol. My systems are backed up with a BK sub and a Sunfire sub and they just about get to that 20hz region before running out of puff - these 30-35hz subs just don't really cut the mustard versus a proper standalone sub :)
Im fine with that. I don't have the place for a proper sub. But my Tannoy when placed correctly is decent enough for my setup and better than anything I have had before. For the price the Focal should be better but then maybe all the money was spent on the satellites. That's the impression I get from the reviews.

Im fine with that. I don't have the place for a proper sub. But my Tannoy when placed correctly is decent enough for my setup and better than anything I have had before. For the price the Focal should be better but then maybe all the money was spent on the satellites. That's the impression I get from the reviews. My Tannoy has twin 8" cones while the Focal only has one.
I was referencing the focal sub, not yours, so wasn't having a pop at the tannoy sub :)
I sold my focal sub as it was too small - twin 8 inch drivers is a different story though, should be a marked improvement on the focal sub I would imagine.

I was referencing the focal sub, not yours, so wasn't having a pop at the tannoy sub :)
I sold my focal sub as it was too small - twin 8 inch drivers is a different story though, should be a marked improvement on the focal sub I would imagine.
I didn't think you were having a pop at all :) I know that neither sub is a proper sub but I get the feeling that the twin drivers of the TS2.8 will be better than the single driver of the Focal sub. I have no evidence for this though LoL.

Wonder how these compare to MA Apex range?

Im fine with that. I don't have the place for a proper sub. But my Tannoy when placed correctly is decent enough for my setup and better than anything I have had before. For the price the Focal should be better but then maybe all the money was spent on the satellites. That's the impression I get from the reviews. My Tannoy has twin 8" cones while the Focal only has one.

Ed Selley liked that sub, even more than TS2.12! :smashin:
https://www.avforums.com/review/tannoy-hts-101xp-speaker-package-review.12194

The 110Hz crossover does show the TS2.8 to be a bit of a star though. This is the first Tannoy sub I've tested since the larger (and similarly designed) TS2.12 and the comparisons are interesting. The smaller sub is possessed of the same smooth, deep and full bass of its big brother (with the obvious caveats that it won't go as deep) but whereas the 2.12 can sound a bit wayward when things get really lively - think Pacific Rim- the smaller sub manages to keep a greater sense of control and agility. Whether this is purely down to smaller drivers or whether Tannoy has tweaked the behaviour of the TS2.8, it feels faster, cleaner and more assured than its big brother even if it can't match the truly prodigious low end of the 2.12.

Ed Selley liked that sub, even more than TS2.12! :smashin:
Tannoy HTS 101XP Speaker Package Review
Thanks I have read that review a while back although the sub specs seem to vary from review to review. I think I will get my manuals out lol. I will of course try them both and tbh I hope the Focal sub is better but I doubt it.

Thanks again.

Just checked. Definitely two 8" drive units.

I am interested in these to partner a new NAD T777 but have been a bit put off by the limited optimal range of 3m to get the reflections right? Is there any internal adjustment of the angle of the upward-firing drivers? Does anyone know of competitors in the compact style that would be optimal at 4-5m, or are indeed adjustable in the key angle of the drivers? I guess a related point is for what ceiling height the optimal point is 3m? I can do the math to figure out whether it might work in my room after all, where the ceilings are a bit higher than average.

Wonder how these compare to MA Apex range?

Different class, the Apex 5.1 (No Atmos) costs around 2 ½ times the price of the Sib, plus the Apex subwoofer is 12” and 500w so has way more oomph. (Are you sure you are not confusing the Apex series with Mass series which comes in around £700 for a 5.1 system)

Bill

Different class, the Apex 5.1 (No Atmos) costs around 2 ½ times the price of the Sib, plus the Apex subwoofer is 12” and 500w so has way more oomph. (Are you sure you are not confusing the Apex series with Mass series which comes in around £700 for a 5.1 system)

Bill
Have you heard the Focals then? What is the sub like?

Overall very content with my purchase. Note: I'm in Australia where AVR gear is notoriously expensive, but I managed to buy this package through an authorised Focal distributor at a price-point which is even lower than the equivalent RRP in other parts of the world - a huge win.
When 11.x AVRs become cheaper I'll likely purchase another pair of the Atmos Sib speakers and run a 7.1.4 setup![/QUOTE]

Hi dhruv

Fellow aussie here, where did you pick up the sib package from? Also if i picked up an extra pair of the atoms speakers for rears, would the 3m still be in place from the back?

Cheers

Bill

No I'm not confusing the two. But if the Sib is in the same class as the Mass then that answers my question and highlights the Apex being a level above.

can anybody tell me (most probably a stupid and obvious question) if I get the an extra pair of the front atoms speakers (5.1.4) and use them as rears that I will need the 2-3 meter distance at the back that Steve mentions in his review you need from the front?

can anybody tell me (most probably a stupid and obvious question) if I get the an extra pair of the front atoms speakers (5.1.4) and use them as rears that I will need the 2-3 meter distance at the back that Steve mentions in his review you need from the front?

I would assume most of people are running 5.1.2 setup with these speakers. To get answer, i would ask directly from Focal, they surely know best! Scroll down to Contact Us: https://www.focal.com/uk

Short answer yes

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom