Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos Speaker Package Review & Comments

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I'm sorry but I've always had OK 5.1 sound, but I never knew up mixing to 5.1.2 could work so well.

I've only got 5.1 and I always wanted 7.1 (or more) because there are always gaps in the sound field. Atmos and DTS-X now fill those gaps. But what is really surprising is when DTS-HD 5.1 is up mixed to 5.1.2 with Neural+X. You now have full surround, and surprisingly, overhead channels too. When Batman is cornered by the Police in DKR and he flies out over them. Neural X gets it right and you hear the craft flying over you.

Sorry I'm behaving like a little kid here.

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Now that I have had some time with these speakers, I have rewritten my review.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Where can I find your review?
Just look at the top of the page and you will see 3 tabs. Review, User Review (my review is here) and Discussion.

DazNEUK

Ah got it! :)

Thank you, really useful review - I’m torn between these and the upcoming N950 sound bar.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Ah got it! :)

Thank you, really useful review - I’m torn between these and the upcoming N950 sound bar.
Two completely different things. Also it is likely that the sound bar won't support DTS HD or DTS X. The sound bar is very unlikely to sound as good as the Sib Evo but could be a nice compact alternative especially if you don't already have a receiver.

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
@Coulson, just wondering what AVR you are using with these speakers.
Check my sig :)
Marantz nr1606. Not a powerful receiver but certainly goes above reference level without distortion.

Garioch

@Coulson How big is your room please? How far do you sit away from the front speakers? Steve mentions that about 3m seems right (which I feel is achievable) but another reviewer (for another website) claims that the distance is around 1.5m (which I feel seems too close).

Many thanks and fab review.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
@Coulson How big is your room please? How far do you sit away from the front speakers? Steve mentions that about 3m seems right (which I feel is achievable) but another reviewer (for another website) claims that the distance is around 1.5m (which I feel seems too close).

Many thanks and fab review.
I tried 1.8m and it didn't work for me. In the end I just decided to follow the Focal manual for distances and this I think was the beginning of me getting it perfect. If I remember correctly its about 2m distance between the fronts and 3 meter diagonal from the fronts to my seat. If this is incorrect then I will edit this post later.

Kousoku

Check my sig :)
Marantz nr1606. Not a powerful receiver but certainly goes above reference level without distortion.
Ah, sorry, browsing on mobile so can't seem to see people's sigs. Thanks for the quick response. I'm thinking about the Focals and wanting to upgrade my AVR at the same time.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
How are you owners getting on with your Focals? Im back in for these now after a rethink about my room size and deciding that Q's 3050i would be too big for me, If these were under a grand i would snap them up now...

Coulson

Distinguished Member
How are you owners getting on with your Focals? Im back in for these now after a rethink about my room size and deciding that Q's 3050i would be too big for me, If these were under a grand i would snap them up now...
My review says it all for me :) I got mine open box for under a grand.

Last edited:

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Sorry new to all this......

What setting should the sub be set to on the rear?

Crossover?
Phase?

Coulson

Distinguished Member

Crossover?
Phase?
Crossover 120hz -
This must always be set at 120 as this is specific the to LFE channel on the disk and nothing to do with your speaker.

Phase is usually zero 0 but you can try 180 and see if it sounds better to you.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Crossover 120hz -
This must always be set at 120 as this is specific the to LFE channel on the disk and nothing to do with your speaker.

Phase is usually zero 0 but you can try 180 and see if it sounds better to you.
Much appreciated thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

Crossover?
Phase?
Physical "Crossover knob" at the back of your subwoofer should be set to LFE to bypass subwoofers internal crossover and let your receiver do the bass management (select speaker size small for all if

Put the Power switch to ON when you do your receivers auto setup so it powers on all the time and won`t go sleep, later on you can switch it Auto if you want.

Coulson

Distinguished Member

Crossover?
Phase?
@Gasp3621 has added some useful information in terms of the different "crossovers". If you meant the physical one at the back of the sub then yes that should be set to LFE so that it uses the receiver. On the receiver the "LFE crossover" should be set to 120hz. Technically the "LFE crossover" isn't in fact a crossover at all.

steve081272

I currently have my speaker cable banana plugged for my Monitor Mass 5.1 with stands. Are these speakers banana plug friendly or would they need removed to expose the cable?

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I currently have my speaker cable banana plugged for my Monitor Mass 5.1 with stands. Are these speakers banana plug friendly or would they need removed to expose the cable?
Have you read "any" professional reviews about these speakers? Or even take a look at the posts in this pretty short forum? :rolleyes: You would already know the answer to this question.

Anyway, no banana plugs.

steve081272

Have you read "any" professional reviews about these speakers? Or even take a look at the posts in this pretty short forum? :rolleyes: You would already know the answer to this question.

Anyway, no banana plugs.
Yes and yes, but wasn't sure, hence the question. Anyway, thanks for the answer, although just the last 3 words would have done.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Yes and yes, but wasn't sure, hence the question. Anyway, thanks for the answer, although just the last 3 words would have done.
Sorry but I have probably read every single review including this site's review and each one of them specifically answers your question, so I'm not even sure what to make of your last comment!

3 words was never going to enough. But anyway.....

Sasi77

Standard Member
I recently bought this package for my master bedroom and will agree that at the price-point it's immensely great value.
A few tips which I've garnered through experience with my setup running them with Audyssey:
  • I like to run the sub a few db hot to give it that extra oomph. There is a substantial difference between Audyssey's default calibration, however you don't want to overdo this as you'll run into distortion. The way I do this is I turn up the volume on the sub just beyond the half-way point that Audyssey recommends and then crank up the sub's levels in my AVR post calibration by ~3db.
  • In the setup literature, Focal recommends having the rears pointed straight at a 90° angle, however I've found that angling them slightly towards the listener (as per Dolby's recommended speaker placement) tends to make sound more immersive.
  • The centre channel can be rotated to minimise height (and that's again what Focal suggests in their setup guide), however I actually have my centre positioned vertically as I have enough clearance to not obstruct my OLED. From what I have read, this can lead to a sonic improvement since the tweeters of all fronts will be closer aligned.
  • Audyssey was setting my crossovers at somewhat random levels after each calibration, but Focal recommends 80hz so I set those manually post-calibration.
  • I also bought Focal's Hip Evo stands for the rears. I'll admit the setup diagrams weren't the best, however the stands themselves are solid and provide a very good look to the overall package if you don't have existing stands.
  • By default the front Left and Right channels are positioned in a manner whereby the Atmos upfirers are angled straight. You'll want to adjust their position on the rubber stands to maximise the angle at which the Atmos speakers fire.
Overall very content with my purchase. Note: I'm in Australia where AVR gear is notoriously expensive, but I managed to buy this package through an authorised Focal distributor at a price-point which is even lower than the equivalent RRP in other parts of the world - a huge win.
When 11.x AVRs become cheaper I'll likely purchase another pair of the Atmos Sib speakers and run a 7.1.4 setup!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett