Focal Sib Evo Dolby Atmos Speaker Package Review & Comments

Garioch

can anybody tell me (most probably a stupid and obvious question) if I get the an extra pair of the front atoms speakers (5.1.4) and use them as rears that I will need the 2-3 meter distance at the back that Steve mentions in his review you need from the front?
I could be wrong but if you purchased additional front atmos speakers, then you'd have a 7.1.4 setup, assuming you use the existing rears as well.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I could be wrong but if you purchased additional front atmos speakers, then you'd have a 7.1.4 setup, assuming you use the existing rears as well.
If you buy the sib Atmos speakers then that looks right. You end up with a spare set of Sib satellites.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
My mistake it would still only be a 5.1.4. 5 satellites, 1 sub, 4 Dolby. However if you add the now redundant Sib satellites.........7.1.4. So in a way you are right :p

Last edited:

suspectno9

Novice Member
Thanks gents

I was looking at replacing the rears with an extra pair of atmos fronts, but my space is pretty small (4m x 3m) so I do not think atmos rears will work. I don’t have the space for a 7.1.4 which would awesome

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Thanks gents

I was looking at replacing the rears with an extra pair of atmos fronts, but my space is pretty small (4m x 3m) so I do not think atmos rears will work. I don’t have the space for a 7.1.4 which would awesome
Actually it is 5.1.4 but more importantly I was thinking about doing the same thing myself but then I realised that I need a 9.1 or at least a 5.1.4 receiver. The extra channels are needed for the 2 additional dolby speakers.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
I just cant decide, i have another month or so to make up my mind... I have these to choose from, or im leaning towards the new Q Acoustics 3000i package, not atmos i know.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I just cant decide, i have another month or so to make up my mind... I have these to choose from, or im leaning towards the new Q Acoustics 3000i package, not atmos i know.
Two completely different packages. It sounds like you are not yet really invested in Atmos so go with what makes you feel comfortable.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
I do want atmos, if i get the Q package i would invest in some atmos speakers to place on top of the fronts then... Its just trying to decide which package i like the most, got a while to decide so hopefully a few more owners will pop up with reviews on youtube and here

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I do want atmos, if i get the Q package i would invest in some atmos speakers to place on top of the fronts then... Its just trying to decide which package i like the most, got a while to decide so hopefully a few more owners will pop up with reviews on youtube and here
I noticed that the Focal's have larger drivers than the 5.1 edition of the 3000i series. Mine are bigger than yours LoL ;) But I know the driver size (if tuned properly by the manufacturer) does make a difference to the sound quality. Every review I have read say that the Focals are well tuned.

P.S. I have just up mixed one of my favourite films DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio using Neural-X. All I can say is........wow!. I really wasn't expecting much....but....WOW!

P.P.S I think the quality of the speakers help in getting the best out of any decent audio track. At the same time they can also highlight the dynamic limitations of others. The up mixed effects when they work are pretty amazing and even when they don't they still fill in the gaps and add to the atmos.... ;)

Last edited:

Garioch

Could anyone advise a suitable subwoofer to replace the one used in this set please? Perhaps around a £500 budget? Many thanks.

pcaddy

Try a BK XLS200 MK2. I replaced an KEF one with this and the difference was phenomenal. Happy hunting. :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Could anyone advise a suitable subwoofer to replace the one used in this set please? Perhaps around a £500 budget? Many thanks.
You could make a new thread on subwoofer section where you tell more about your room size(+ any openings), listening habits which kind of movies mostly and how loud, what kind of performance are you after, do you have any size limitations or limited with placement and which receiver you got. There is around 4 different models to choose from plus the small XLS200 within your budget..

Garioch

Thanks @pcaddy and @Gasp3621 for your response; I will start a new thread, as I'll also need help speccing the room / kit (it's a blank canvas at the minute).

The system is better suited to smaller rooms and to get the best from the overhead effects you'll need to be sat about 3m from the screen.
This is perfect, as the "usable space" or "zone" in my lounge is 4m x 2.7m. The sofa would be exactly 3m from the screen. Once I'm ready to buy - this looks like the speaker set I'll get.

I take it, if I get an additional sub, I could still use the Sib Evo sub + additional sub in a 5.2.2 setup (saves the Sib evo sub being redundant / unused).

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Thanks @pcaddy and @Gasp3621 for your response; I will start a new thread, as I'll also need help speccing the room / kit (it's a blank canvas at the minute).

This is perfect, as the "usable space" or "zone" in my lounge is 4m x 2.7m. The sofa would be exactly 3m from the screen. Once I'm ready to buy - this looks like the speaker set I'll get.

I take it, if I get an additional sub, I could still use the Sib Evo sub + additional sub in a 5.2.2 setup (saves the Sib evo sub being redundant / unused).
I'm currently using my Tannoy TS2.8 sub rather than the Focal sub. When playing Atmos demos I notice that the Tannoy seems to go that little bit deeper. I have no need for two subs.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I was referencing the focal sub, not yours, so wasn't having a pop at the tannoy sub :)
I sold my focal sub as it was too small - twin 8 inch drivers is a different story though, should be a marked improvement on the focal sub I would imagine.
Ignore my previous comments. I didn't really understand my sub design. However I have updated my review of this system because I am now using the Tannoy sub.

steven_9709

Hi all, just purchased these and am unsure exactly which connection on my amp (yamaha rx-a1070) to use to connect the atmos speakers, should they be connected to the Extra SP2 Surround Back or Extra SP1 F Presence? Can someone advise? Thank you :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all, just purchased these and am unsure exactly which connection on my amp (yamaha rx-a1070) to use to connect the atmos speakers, should they be connected to the Extra SP2 Surround Back or Extra SP1 F Presence? Can someone advise? Thank you :)
From the receiver manual;

Connect them to Front Presence!

When using front presence speakers installed to the ceiling or when using the Dolby Enabled speakers as the presence speakers, configure the “Layout(Front Presence)” setting in the “
Setup” menu before performing YPAO (p.42).

Configuration -> Layout -> Front Presence, select Dolby Enabled SP.
Run YPAO with mic placed seated ear height preferably on tripod/boom arm mic stand (make room quiet - step out), see page 43 before doing this!

Couple good pointers before running YPAO here with AVForums short tutorial video;

After YPAO check the settings, make changes if necessary regarding speaker size (large to small), crossovers etc.

Do tell us how it sounds after you have had some time with the system! :smashin: Notice there is couple reviews mentioning they work best at 1.5 - 1.8m distance from listener, but each room is different with ceiling type, height, speaker height etc. And you may need some level boosting for the atmos speakers, but see yourself.

steven_9709

Run YPAO with mic placed seated ear height preferably on tripod/boom arm mic stand (make room quiet - step out), see page 43 before doing this!

Couple good pointers before running YPAO here with AVForums short tutorial video;

After YPAO check the settings, make changes if necessary regarding speaker size (large to small), crossovers etc.

Do tell us how it sounds after you have had some time with the system! :smashin: Notice there is couple reviews mentioning they work best at 1.5 - 1.8m distance from listener, but each room is different with ceiling type, height, speaker height etc. And you may need some level boosting for the atmos speakers, but see yourself.
Thanks, that's great :)

Coulson

Distinguished Member

I initially followed the 1.5m distance recommendation and it wasn't too bad. But then followed the instructions in the manual about distances, re-ran EQ, tweaked the levels and it is noticeably better. I'm now about 3m diagonally away from the speakers with the front speakers being about 2m apart.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
It's taken quite a few days of mucking about with Googling, changing receiver settings, EQ, levels, speaker positioning, swapping my sub but I think I have finally got it.

I just checked out Raimi's Spiderman 2 which now puts me in the middle of the action, and Pacific Rim which now has the waves crashing and the sea splashing around me.

Its's been getting better and better but I think that this is IT!!! :clap:

ashenfie

I initially followed the 1.5m distance recommendation and it wasn't too bad. But then followed the instructions in the manual about distances, re-ran EQ, tweaked the levels and it is noticeably better. I'm now about 3m diagonally away from the speakers with the front speakers being about 2m apart.
Focal are very good with their speaker location guidance, shame more manufactures don't follow suit

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Focal are very good with their speaker location guidance, shame more manufactures don't follow suit
True. Switching to their distance and xover recommendations formed the basis of my now great Atmos sound.
But there was no guidance for the atmos speaker xover. Only for the sats. Looking at the speaker specs and Googling around the Internet, 80hz seemed to very inappropriate.

ashenfie

True. Switching to their distance and xover recommendations formed the basis of my now great Atmos sound.
But there was no guidance for the atmos speaker xover. Only for the sats. Looking at the speaker specs and Googling around the Internet, 80hz seemed to very inappropriate.
For sure 80hz cross over is too. I would think 100 to 110hz to be more inline with this type of system.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
For sure 80hz cross over is too. I would think 100 to 110hz to be more inline with this type of system.
The recommendations on Internet was 150 to 200hz. But looking at the speaker specs and using my ears I decided that 100hz for my room is awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom