1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focal JMLab - Sonic character?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Falp, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi!

How do you classify the Focal JMLab Sonic character next for instance to Monitor Audio speakers? :confused:

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Comparing the chorus series to the silver MA series.
    Top end slightly brighter. Mid range slightly more rounded and controlled. Slightly better bass control. After saying that I'd go for the MA's over JMLAB. I don't like the bright top end.

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Could they be a good match to Marantz Receivers like that?

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Couldn't tell you Falp, I have very little experience with Marantz equipment.
    Most of the lower to mid (Chorus/cobalt series JMLAB range are Cursed/blessed (Depending on opinion) with a slightly bright top end. Whether this would work well with Marantz gear I don't know. I do once remember hearing very nice sound out of a NAIM Nait 5 and cobalt 816's so they are a nice match. They would also work well with Rega equipment. Is Marantz similar to either of those two? I don't know.
    If your looking for something to wipe the floor with both of them try the PMC range.
    You won't be dissapointed.

5. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having used to sell JMlabs Chorus range and i wont deny they have a brighter top end. But its not a harsh brightness like a lot of metal dome tweeter speakers on the market. I thought they sounded great. And this coming from a guy who would run away from bright speakers normally. They should sound great on the marantz but only you can say if they sound great. Plus i would recommend the 714 or 716 floorstanders(the two bigger models in the range) out of the three floorstanding models in the range

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm not really in the mood for floorstaders I wound prefer a great bookshekf speaker.

thaksanyway!

7. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case the monitor audios generally on most gear they are used on will have greater bass extension. And the focal's have probaly have the edge on clarity with the marantz. So if you got a sub the bass extension will not be a problem. Thats not to say they they don't have any bass as they are quite punchy. Also do you want the real wood box of the monitors or the vinyl wraps of the focals? Saying that they are some of the best vinyl box wraps i have ever seen for the price