1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focal JMLAB Micro Utopia

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Knightshade, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just had my first listen to these rather nice standmounts.
    The initial looks of the speakers are in my opinion stunning. Matched with Jmlabs own stands they are finished off nicely. http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/home/utopiabe/microbe.htm#
    I've always found JMlab to be a little forward sounding. The larger floorstanders i.e 926s, 936's always seemed to me to be a little mid heavy and in your face. Something the smaller floorstanders seemed to avoid. So taking into account all this I was rather dubious as to how they would sound.
    First impressions were a nice tight and fast bass with very good extension. A very smooth and transparrent mid range and very smooth treble. All in all a very musical speaker plenty. Further listening only improved things. Certainly not what I was expecting. I had just finished listening to 926's and Spendor S9's. The 926's were to forward and the spendors lacked the speed I was looking for. I was only really planning on listening to the Utopia's as an afterthought. Quite glad I did!
    I'd never considered a standmount speaker before but having listened to them I have to say i'm tempted.
    Test system was top end Densen.

If anyone is looking for a superb musical and dynamic speaker then this is certainly worth a look. The difference between the Electra and the Utopia series is unbelievable. Just goes to show what happens when you spend all the money on drivers!

If anyone has any experience with these then I'd be interested to hear your comments? Good or Bad?

2. purifiedaudio

purifiedaudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard them at CEDIA (Micro L/R/SL/SR with Center Be and Sub Be) - very transparent sound. I have 926's, which I like very much, but the Be's are in an entrirely different class.

BTW, they look incredible!