• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Focal Dome 5.1

Steve Burling

Established Member
Hi

Has anyone got this in their lounge or knows someone who has. Looking seriously at getting these and trying to find unbiased reviews/opinions etc would appreciate some feedback.

I have Denon 3312 and 2012 blu ray wil connect to. Any more info just ask.

Movie 65% Music 35%

:clap:

Trickdick

Established Member
Hi

I have had my Focal Domes since February and I love them.

Be warned - they take an awful lot of running in. When I first wired them in I thought I had made a big mistake but give them time and you will be amazed.(they replaced a Musical Fidelity/Ruark combination.

I use them with a Yamaha A2010 and they seem to thrive on the power the amp delivers.

I have a 60/40 split movies to music. The sub is probably found wanting for really big explosions but it it extremely fast at most other times. The satellites are very accurate.

I have the satellites wall mounted and in a room 4m x 5m

Hope that helps - feel free to ask any other questions.

Steve Burling

Established Member
Many thanks for reply, great to hear. The 5.1 system that with dome shaped sub comes with, my local dealer (Rayleigh Hifi) has sergested replace with another focal sub "chorus SW 800" (not sure if v or w) for even better quality

Subwoofers Focal for your home theatre systems

Don't know about you but my fav films are the action ones that are good for sound hope they are great for full on surround. Whats very important to me is a very clear centre, theres nothing worse than can't make out what they are saying on screen. Also don't like dialogue drowned out by surrounding events needs to be kept seperated.

Hope you can confirm above. All reviews I have read (not many) have giving very good reviews which is what led me to these

Trickdick

Established Member
The Dome sub whilst good looking, is the weak link in the system, but only when pushed hard in action movies.

The surround effects are very precisely placed and dialogue clear. Have you actually seen the speakers? They seem bigger in the flesh.

Remember this is a "lifestyle" speaker system and will never be a true match for a "proper" surround system with big, room-filling floorstanding boxes! As long as you bear that in mind, you will not be disappointed ( but dont make a judgement for at least a couple of months as they really need that length of time to run in)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom