Focal Dome 5.0 and other sub or stick with 5.1

Janomin

Hi all,

Had a little demo of the focal domes and barring any major issues when I actually get to hear them on my amp, I am almost certainly upgrading to these.

However, I keep hearing that the sub is the weak link on the set, and considering the price difference £1149 to £1449 of the set with and without the sub, im seriously wondering if I am better off getting the speakers without the sub, and investing £3-500 on a better quality sub.

My issue is room, I don't have much of it and would ideally like the sub to be as small as possible, hopefully around the size of what I have at the moment, which is a Yamaha YST-SW45 Sub, so not very big, probably not very good, but it does its job.

I do keep hearing about the SVS and BK Sub lines, but I am slightly concerned as I can't seem to find anywhere to actually go and see/demo these. What alternatives do I have in this price range?

Janomin

Bit more info in the hope of a reply, the Yammy sub's dimensions are:

9.3 in x 12.5 in x 14.4 in / 19.8 lbs

Not sure how that compares to other subs, other than that its not square, but I can certainly accomodate something around this sort of size. There also doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the Yammy and the Focal Dome sub, other than a larger crossover range, 50-150 on the yammy, 50-200 on the focal. Though I actually have no idea what that means :facepalm: Both feature 8 inch drivers though.

I just feel like I can get more bang for my buck if you like, and while I like the styling of the domes and the size suits me, the sub just looks like those silly hairy hats the guards outside buckingham palace wear.

lordlemon

Novice Member
The sub suits the speakers and has a lovely build in aluminium do you always need a powerful sub, i have listened to many systems and its sometimes the quality of sound that is important.

The sub is also a good size although it does look a bit like a pedal bin and after all nearly all subs look a bit bland.

The svs tall sub would look asthetically pleasing if you go away from the dome sub

I have heard the dome sub in basingstoke with monitor audio Rx6 it sounded excellent.

Do some more demos and take your time deciding.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Buy the Domes - superb little speakers that are easily the equal of home grown offerings and partner with a BK XLS-200. It is a much, much better sub than the Dome sub which (which in turn would embarrass the Yamaha - specs don't tell the whole truth)isn't bad as far as high street offerings go, but the BK is in another class - Much tighter and harder hitting, if not as pretty.

Russell

Janomin

Had a feeling someone might say that ;)

Is there any stores you can buy the BK subs from, or is it purely online from them directly?

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Purely online. The nearest direct in-store equivalent to an XLS-200 is an MJ Acoustics Ref 200 (I had one years ago). It adds some features of dubious value, subtracts 75W of power which is not good and costs £750. This comparison isn't as specious as it might seem as BK used to be the OEM for MJ, so you work out who's benefiting the most.:)

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom