Focal Clear MG Headphone Review & Comments

Steven

Senior Moderator
@yorkshire rose, yes and no

Bluetooth headphones have their own built in DAC and can pair with any Bluetooth device. So an external DAC / amp does not matter

Apple devices top out at AAC Bluetooth codec. The Sony headphones supports LDAC codec, which on paper allows higher data rates = higher sound quality

Wired headphones require a DAC and headphone amp sources. At this level of headphone cost for the Focal Clear, you'd want something cleaner and more resolving than your computer motherboard or smartphone built in headphone jack 😎

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
@yorkshire rose Ultimately it comes down to your priorities, what you wish to get out of your headphone set.

I am using both kinds on everyday basis, but in different situations. How and when are you going to be using your headphones? It comes down to convenience over reliability and quality.

HariSeldon

So just pulled the trigger on a pair of Stellias! :clap:

I think closed back was the only option given use for travel.

judt need to decide on portable amp/dac now. Anyone got any good suggestions?

Matson

Distinguished Member
I personally love the chord Mojo for portable use. Its pretty well regarded and both a Dac and Amp in one.

Bass junky

new to headphones, and spent many ££ trying to achieve the perfect stereo speaker setup. (neighbours can testify) However just discovered the benefit of headphones (generally listen to music on my own ) would these work with the ifi zen dac, or do you need something a lot more powerful to get the best out of them.
thanks
Hi

I am using a pair of Focal Clear headphones with a Zen DAC and it works perfectly. The Zen DAC will easily power the Focal Clear MG headphones. you will be surprised what the Zen DAC is capable of. I have used the following headphones with the Zen DAC with great results.

Focal Elegia, Elex and Clear
Sennheiser HD598 CS, HD599, HD560S and HD660S
Hifiman Sundara
GoldPlanar GL2000 double sided magnet

HariSeldon

:clap:

C7C4A23D-DC6F-4455-92DF-0F0D03E1EA2C.jpeg

The Fuggler

Hi

I am using a pair of Focal Clear headphones with a Zen DAC and it works perfectly. The Zen DAC will easily power the Focal Clear MG headphones. you will be surprised what the Zen DAC is capable of. I have used the following headphones with the Zen DAC with great results.

Hifiman Sundara
That's really helpful to know - although my bank manager would rather I didn't have that information!

HariSeldon

I’ve ended up with chord Mojo and Poly as Roon endpoint - superb!

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Hi

Hifiman Sundara
Respect! You have a really decent headphone collection. Do you have any favourites?

yorkshire rose

Hi, did a few testing's of various headphones and settled on the the fostex 909th (got a good price ) and a ifi diablo dsd, will let you know how i get on .

thanks for all your input.

Bass junky

Respect! You have a really decent headphone collection. Do you have any favourites?

Hi

I have just added the Focal Celestee and a Hip DAC to the collection. I have cleared out the Elex, Elegia, Sundara, HD660S, HD598 and GL2000

The Celestee and the Hip DAC look great together with their colours complimenting each other.

At the moment I am favouring the Focal Clear with the Zen DAC with bass on. The sound is lovely and open and has plenty of dynamism.

If I can ask one thing of iFi Audio it would be to NEVER get rid of the bass boost function! I like the Diablo but will probably not buy it as it does not have the bass boost feature. I have tried many headphone amps but I always come back to iFi products for their slightly warmer more natural sound.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom