Focal Chorus 836W or PSB Synchrony One

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by zbert, Aug 8, 2013.

1. zbert

zbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have narrowed my choices down to Focal Chorus 836W or PSB Synchrony One for my main front speakers in a new Home Theater setup.

Any opinions on which is the better speaker in terms of performance? Forget about price. I am just interested to know which is a better sounding speaker. I've auditioned the Focal's but not the Synchrony yet. I will likely be pairing these with a NAD T777 140 WPC A/V receiver and an OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Disc Player.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Are you sure you don't mean the Focal 826V. I'm not sure there ever was an 836W. And if there was, they are long gone from dealerships. However, if you can find one at a reasonable price they are an EXCELLENT speaker.

Though that evaluation depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for heavy droning rattle the windows bass, then with either of these speakers, you are looking at the wrong speakers.

Both these speaker are very highly rated. Focal from France, and I think PSB from Canada. I've not heard PSB, but I've read many reviews and they are all highly complimentary.

I don't think it is possible to go wrong with way, so in this case, it is down to which one appeals to you personally, and which one has the best price.

In this class of speaker, you ears will tell you everything you need to know. And in this class of speaker, there really is no wrong choice.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,532
    Steve, the 836W is a recent special edition of the 836V, the bigger brother of the 826W, having three 165mm woofers rather than two. Details here. This recent product is readily available new.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    I knew there was a 826W, but wasn't sure there was ever a 836W. Still if a person can find them (either one) and if a person can afford them, they are excellent speakers.

The "W" use the drivers from the Focal Electra 1000 series. But even the "V" series sound excellent and are well worth the money they cost in my opinion.

Actually the link that Mark provided is to the "VW" series which use a blend of "V" and "W" type drivers. At one point there was another limited edition that just used "W" type drivers. Still an excelent speaker regardless of what drivers it has. Though I would expect the "W" and the "VW" to be a real and noticeable step up. That said, the "V" only are still pretty impressive speakers.

However, the PSB are also very impressive speakers, very highly regarded and very highly rated. Give the quality of both speakers under consideration, it simply get down to preference and price.

Stereophile - PSB Symphony One Review -
    http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/408psb/index.html

Stereophile - Focal Chorus 826W - 30th Anniversary Edition Review -
    http://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...th_anniversary_edition_loudspeaker/index.html

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  5. Bellofelix

Bellofelix
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

The 836 VW use all W drivers check out the specs and they are third generation W drivers what are presently used in all speakers what use W drivers. There is confusion when it comes to the 1000's and 1000BE and until the present 1000 series one had a normal tweeter the 1027S and the 1027BE what has a Beryllium tweeter, the S was brought out to provide a more affordable 1000 series speaker. I have heard the 836VW and I found them a very bright speaker but they were new out of the box and I don't know if the brightness would lessen with use. I might listen to the 1027S and see how that sounds at nintronics.

7. Bellofelix

Bellofelix
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they are bright and clear.... you can hear a difference between a mp3 320 (CD quality) vs flac... I use Primare I30 a bit warm.... but still bright... less fatiguing... (before Rotel RA 1062, but no power) but again, for Jazz, Bossa Nova, Boleros, Tangos, etc.... for me is perfect.... with time your ears get use to that sound bright and clear ;) ..... Now, techno on the 836w rocks the house....

8. Bellofelix

Bellofelix
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0