1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foamex vs Matt white vs Goo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Oct 3, 2004.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know this had been discussed in a few other threads but no one has really stated if its as good or better than using screen material. Ive had a 6' wide 16:9 fixed foamex screen for 2yrs now and have allways been happy with it. I recently got some screen fabric samples as ive always been curious what the difference would be if proper screen material was used. When i tried the matt white material the picture was not as bright as the foamex and looked dulled down ,does anyone know if foamex has any gain and if so does this affect the black levels. As my samples were quite small it was difficult to see any difference in black levels but the brightness difference was easily noticable. Didnt like the grey sample as it looked too dark but am interested in some more info or screen shots of goo versus a mat white screen.

2. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    don't know about foamex, but I had an Owl electric screen, and decided to sell it having tried Goo. It also improves with time and is reasonably easy to apply. Colours are very accurate, which is a bonus...

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    does the goo paint have a metalic fleck in it or is it just a flat grey.

4. meoq

meoq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get it in White, and two flavours of grey (one lighter, one darker). As far as I know, there's no metallic fleck or metallic finish (though who knows in the future, with the current trend of "silver" DIY screens ;)).

The Goo screens, from what I read, are very very good. The white goo, in particular, matches up very well to some manufactured screens apparently. The Digital Lite Grey goo is supposed to be one of the best greys that you can try..it improves contrast and blacks, but retains good colour and brightness, supposedly.

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just added an update to my (diy silverscreen) thread with the following info. I can now get foamex in a very light grey I will be getting a sheet by the end of the week so will post the results as soon as its tested, the sample i looked at today looked very promising.

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Another bit of info about foamex ive discovered. Its only suitable when the projector is mounted high up or on the ceiling, just made a 6' screen for a friend, he has his projector mounted on the back wall in line with the center of his screen when you sit down you can see hotspoting in the middle on very light scenes, because of the angle used with ceiling mounted projectors you dont see the hotspotting as the light is reflected back down to the floor rather than straight back to the viewer.I dont see any hotspotting with my ceiling mounted unit as my screen is quite high as well (over the fireplace)so i would advise its not an option if you have a low screen and low mounted projector.

7. GDusty

GDusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How did the grey foamex work out?

How heavy is a 6' wide 16:9 piece?

And where can you get them from?

Thanks,
    Grant

8. nwhitta

nwhitta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Foamex is a brand name for expanded polyurethane, which is cheap and readily available in 3mm sheets in almost any size you want. At the weekend I installed a white screen (size 89" x 50"). It is much easier to work with than MDF. It is easy to cut to size with a straight edge and a Stanley knife. It is stiff enough to be self supporting without timber battens on the back and light enought to be screwed directly to the wall, with white screw head covers to look neat. It doesn't need painting and, best of all, gives a great picture quality compared with a brilliant white matt emulsion painted wall. It is smoother, flatter, has enhanced gain and excellent colour reproduction. The pictures look sharper and brighter from all viewing positions.

The sheet comes with a thin plastic protective film on one side. It is difficult to see this but if you project a picture onto it, it will hot spot and you will see the image of the lamp on the screen. Use the other side, or remove the film, and the hot spot problem disappears.

Foamex (or expanded polyurethane) cannot replace a roll-down screen but it is a cheap and high quality alternative to a fixed screen.

9. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    That's good info. Did you get it from a local supplier or did you get it delivered ? Can you share with us the supplier and price details ?

Thanks

Ray