• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Foam Roller.

DeAdSoUls

Established Member
Are they any good? They're supposed to be good for massaging toning up.

Charlts

Prominent Member
Wouldn't be without one after getting home following a heavy session. You won't get any toning from one, best bet is to google them, lots of info out there. :)

mo

Established Member
trigger point roller is the one i have and one you should consider.
like others, hidden behind the sofa in times of need.
it really does help and can make huge difference

wormball

Established Member
I've got a rumble roller (recommended by silent ninja) and it's great.

edit: It is pretty intense though, my gf can't use it as she ends up covered in bruises.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A tennis ball is a good thing for the calf muscle since a roller may not get deep enough or be able to pin point the precise area you need to work.

silent ninja

Prominent Member
I've got a rumble roller (recommended by silent ninja) and it's great.

edit: It is pretty intense though, my gf can't use it as she ends up covered in bruises.

The black one does wonders! But it's best to start with a cheapo basic smooth roller because the muscles will be too tight and tender to tolerate it. I wince using it on my lats and chest. I think the fingers on the rumble roller work really well - you find a knot then just rock back and forth on it and it really works well. The flat ones aren't as effective imo

Tennis balls are very light for any posterior muscles (calves, hamstrings, glutes). Theyre tough and stubborn. You'll need something firmer to get in.

mjn

Distinguished Member

wormball

Established Member
I've got one of those spikey balls (9cm one) and it's much better than a tennis ball which I find are too small and go flat (again Silent's recommendation).

I also use a hockey ball which is a real killer if you use it for the glute myofascial release in the limber 11.

I'd love to have regular full body massages but I think you'd need one at least once a week for it to be effective and that's not something I can afford.

I find the rumble roller great for all my body but the best parts for me is on the front of my shoulders. I use to get someone to stand on them with their heel as the muscle goes so hard it feels like bone but the roller does a good job, I don't really roll I just rock sideways slightly and the spikes really get into the muscle.

Kailash

Prominent Member
trigger point roller is the one i have and one you should consider.
like others, hidden behind the sofa in times of need.
it really does help and can make huge difference

went for one of these trigger point grid rollers. think it will be a good addition for the pre/post exercise

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I've just got a cardboard tube that I got out of a skip. Its like a giant toilet roll tube. It does the trick, I think anyway. It's painful to use anyway so it must do something and it cost me nothing.

Empwan

Prominent Member

Steven

Senior Moderator
My thing is lower body from outdoor running; quads, lower legs and the calves in particular

Did see monthly sports physio for a year (work discount) tho last appt was April as think at a stage of only needing the occasional deep tissue session. Foam roller supplemented physio / also physio recc

Roller is fine everywhere except calves!! Physio fingers can get in deeper as rolling can feel like "mashing" surface without getting inside.

Spiky ball better than tennis ball tho find them better for say your feet or quads as again does not get deep inside my calves

Atm am browsing Amazon for physio tools that have an edge or point to see if that gets in deep where roller misses those spots

Signed
Not a pain seeker, honest

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom