1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foam or triple flange for Shure E3c

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by clivem2, Aug 23, 2005.

1. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Shure E3c earphones, I find the foam rings are easily the best in my ears compared to the standard flex sleeves. I'm wondering about the optional triple flange in-ear thingys. Of course everyone's ears will be different so I really need to try the option, is their a general concensus on foam vs triple flange? (my ears seem to need medium size flanges).

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Just my opinion from things like the Etymotics(which I have) and various other earphones....you really have to just find which gives you the best compromise for fit and sound quality....dont worry about a consensus,when as you rightly say,everyone's ears are different.

3. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with what you say, the only problem is that I have to buy the triple flanges and I'll know within seconds if I've wasted my money.

I suppose though the triples have one thing in their favour, if I use the E3c's for a short period (ie a short flight) and need to take them out to listen to annoucements then this is easier with the triples.

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Foam - more isolation than the silicon flanges, triple or not.

5. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is the isolation that's important, with foam I'm transported to a different place by the music. If the triple flanges don't do this then it's foam for me.

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,931
    Agreed....you have to compress the foam between your fingers first, insert them in your ears and hold them for about 25-30 secs.....they then expand to fill and seal your ear cavity giving great isolation and much better bass than any of the other sleeves.

7. Big Kev

Big Kev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use the triple flanges with my E4c's and they're pretty comfortable in my opinion and form a good seal.

8. quinnmar

quinnmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I currently use the smallest buds that came with my E4c earphones.

I'm keen to try the triple flange buds but they are too big. I read a while back that you cn cut these down to size.

Does this mean I need to cut off the bigger flanges and trim down the nozzle a bit?

9. Big Kev

Big Kev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    According to the leaflet that came with the E4c's, it states, word for word:

If desired, the sleeve nozzle may be shortened. Use sharp scissors to carefully trim the nozzle to the desired length.

I suppose you could cut away the bottom flange, but unless you've got some spares, I wouldn't advise it.

10. kwbarrett

kwbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally own the E3C and use the triple flange sleeves. I find them both easy to insert and very comfortable. The isolation is outstanding. My lawn mower was reduced to a simple whisper. I did cut the tube down a bit on mine. It's now flush with the last flange. this makes them much less bulky and a little more comfortable. In my opinion they isolate much better than the foam.

11. PKblue

PKblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the flange set - mine comes with 2 and 3 cone flanges.

I have tried using them, and sometimes I think they're great, but they just don't sit consistently in my ears, and when the seal isn't quite right they are not very good sound. Obviously other people prefer these, but for me I rarely use them.

I haven't been very successful with the foam either - admittedly I haven't tried holding them in for 25secs before releasing (I do squash the foam first).
    I should perservere, for I miss the bass impact of the much cheaper Koss Plugs.

PK