1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ8/A7 versus Denon 5803(THX Ultra), NAD T773 or separates

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Mendi, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Mendi

Mendi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definitely purchase the Arcam DV29, but I am confused with the Acram SS processor. I can not find at this time what ss formats they support. ie: Dolby IIx, THX select, ultra, ect. Would I go wrong with the FMJ AV8,A7 combo vs the Denon flagship or NAD, Meridian top multi av or separates.

To come to the point, I am upgrading full HT, willing to spend the US dollars(with discount of course) for full upgrade. What is really the lastest state- of- art dvd,ss processor, 7.1 amp. Have read so much, however still undecided.

2. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, if you can afford Meridian go for it, it is a no brainer here. There is also nothing else I'd recomend more than Meridian. (maybe Linn? Their Unidisk is definitely best multiformat spinner in the world)
    For the rest you noted, do a demo, your ears will be the best judge.

What's state of the art? Well, whatever you do in a couple of months there will be something newer... Might be smart to opt for someone with good upgrade history.
    Also if you are in the States, check some local brands, it might be smart reg. warranty, if something goes wrong you do not have to ship it around the world. Also for an example Bryston gives 20 years warranty on their products, and especially their amps are well rated.

Enjoy spending money :)

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Companies marketing HF/HT gear in the US have their own U.S. offices or distributors to handle warranty issues. I've been using U.K. gear for decades and have never had anything shipped back for repair, etc. It's always been done in the U.S.

It would be ludicrous for any foreign company to sell gear in a market as large as the U.S. and expect customers to ship back to country of origin for repairs. Any manufacturer would quickly see no sales if they expected that.

4. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yes, I know of few...

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure that I would agree that the Meridian is better than the AV8. General Skanky and myself did a back to back blind test of the two and we couldn't tell the difference. The Meridian didn't have its room eq turned on IIRC so that may make a difference. But in plain vanilla there was nothing between them.

At the mo the AV does not support Dolby pro-logic IIx but we've been told that the upgrade is being worked on. It is THX Ultra 2 certified though.
    Best bet is to do a blind listen yourself, perferably in your own home and if you can, try the Meridian EQ. The Meridian is a looker though!

John

6. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yes, they are working on that since one year ago :)
    Arcam is a great company but their upgradibility and flexibility (and price too) are few steps behind Meridian. Those are the facts.
    I will add here the quality too but that is IMHO!

EXACTLY! nothing can give you real picture apart from demoing it yourself, preferably at your home!

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the AV8 isn't upgradable then there will be a few unhappy people areound, me included as that is one of the reasons I bought it. As the 1st high end processors that Arcam has produced, they will be setting an unfortunate precedent if it can't be upgraded.

I wouldn't say that the AV8 is behind the Meridian of price, IIRC the AV8 is £3,000 and the Meridian is £3,500 for the basic one. As to flexibility and upgradibility, Meridian certainly have a history there, so the ball is in Arcam's court on that to prove that they are a high end company in this arena that can offer upgradability

John