FMJ27 Noisier with DTS since firmware upgrade?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Ward, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've noticed my FMJ27 being MUCH noiser during DTS playback since my last firmware upgrade.

I'd previously been having some noise problems and audio dropouts particularly with DTS material so I was happy to have the latest firmware.

My current version is 1.79/LT23/02/FF

I'm still getting some audio dropouts where my Lex momentarily shows "No Audio" on the OSD, but with DTS titles the drive is so noisy now it's distracting during quieter sequences.

We all know Arcams are a bit noisy when starting up, but this lasts for the whole movie.

I don't think I have any problems with DD sources.

I contacted Arcam a few weeks ago, haven't had a reply yet but I'll be calling them back. I just wondered whether I'm alone with this.

I played American Beauty today... DD Fine DTS Noisy but no Audio droputs. DD also sounded better/fuller? I'm sure that's not right on this title?

Mark.

2. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    give me a day or so and I'll do a check on mine for dropout and drive noise. Just got some more DTS track material but haven't got american beauty, have you tried different DTS discs or just this one.
    I'll test it against blade 2, planet of the apes and gladiator.
    Can't say I have noticed mine being noisy in the past or any dropout and i also have the 1.79 firmware version. Yes it is noisy on startup but certainly no noisier than some of the other models. Personally as yet I can't really fault it.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've tried many DTS disks. The American Beauty was one I tried last night, but I've had problems with many DTS tracks.

The drive is so noisy I can hear it from 12ft away during quieter sequences in movies. My main concern is that the drive is noisier than it was prior to my firmware upgrade.

The audio dropout are momentary and can happen may be once or twice in a movie, enough to distract you from the movie though. I can play the same chapter again and it'll work perfectly another time.

I took the player to 7-Oaks HiFi where I bought it. There it worked fine on all but 1 title [Platinum Setup Disc]. That title also caused problems on their in-store player too.

Mark.

4. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will give it a go tonight and see whether I notice anything.

I have the American Beauty and a few other DTS tracks and must admit to having not noticed it before. I watched John Q last night and certainly didnt notice anything and that has a few quieter moments as well.

Will try and get back to you with an answer tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave.

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll give mine a try too, though probably at the weekend now. I have a loads of DTS disks, but not American Beauty! I've not had any audio dropout but Fifth Element R2 can upset the progressive board.

I've not noticed any increase (or decrease) in noise since upgrading.

6. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For what its worth.......

I too purchased an FMJDV27 to partner my Lexicon DC1 and immediately became aware of occasional sound drop out with DTS material. Perhaps 3 or 4 times during the average movie.
    I spoke extensively with the technical department at Arcam who told me they were aware of the problem with some Denon and Yamaha units but not Lexicon.
    They believed the problem lay with the Vardis 5 chipset. Although at the time (this was November 2001) a new firmware upgrade was in development they had no plans to address the sound drop out issue. Totally unacceptable for such an expensive piece of equipment.
    This was explained to my dealer, Rayleigh Hi Fi, and a full refund was made.
    Sorry this doesn't help you.

Bruce

7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Bruce

Now I'm worried! I understand that someone from Arcam frequents these forums. Would he be prepared to comment?

My unit is just about 12 months old, though I've been having problems for a number of months, ever since I bought the Lex basically. I'm surprised at Arcam's response to you. These players cost £1600, not having audio droputs is a reasonable request.

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if any further comments arrive, then I'll call Arcam, who to be fair were fabulous with previous problems I had with my previous DV-88. I really don't know where to go from here if I get a similar response to that you got.

Thanks for your reply

Mark.

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    His name is John Dawson (login name the same). Usually is quick to respond and most helpful.

9. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry this is a whole new ball game to me.

Do you mean your player is mechanically noisier when playing DTS material - or am I misunderstanding what's being said?

What is causing the extra noise - is it the DTS processing?

I cheerfully toss DTS discs at my relatively cheap Sony player and it plays them without any complaints at all - I happen to enjoy DTS over 5:1 and try to use it when I can.

Mind you DTS in full flight in my house could drown out a jumbo jet...

10. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark,

I have no complaints about the service I received both from Arcam and my dealer over this issue as the refund was no problem, (other than being without my chosen DVD player), but my impression was that as only a small percentage of dv27 users would suffer sound drop out it was not a financially viable option to investigate changes to current models. Hopefully they will get it right in future machines.
    I, like you, spent a lot of money on building a system that was the best I could afford and to suffer momentary, albeit short, sound drop outs is unacceptable.
    I realise in your position with a year old player a refund is highly unlikely and your options limited. Nevertheless Arcam have been aware of this situation for some time and failed to inform dealers or correct the problem. It will be interesting to see, now this issue is public, if they can resolve your situation to your satisfaction!!!!
    I wish you good luck.

Bruce

11. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Jim
    Yes, the drive's whirring sound is audibly noisier.

Bruce
    Until I find otherwise I remain confident in Arcam's support services. I really hope Mr. Dawson comments here.

Having checked my receipt I bought it on 9th September 2001 so it's just over a year old. 2 Year warrantee though. However it was late July when I first complained to 7-Oaks Hi-Fi about my problems and I'm guessing it was just prior to 9th Sep-01 that I contacted Arcam about the fault (can check my phone bill to make sure).

Thanks guys,

Mark.

12. Bruce123

Bruce123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will be interested to hear of any developments. Still, at least you know that your processor is one of the best in the world!!!

13. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I like to think my DVD player is too :)

Mark.

14. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my umpteen years of dealing with HiFi, VCRs, TVs, Computers and many other gadgets, I confess I have never heard of the mechanical bit of the equipment getting noisier because of the coding of the software!

Especially if they are as expensive as your gear.

I guess I have still something to learn and I'm grateful for you guys for highlighting it...

I'll keep an eye on developments.

15. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning,

Well I tried American Beauty last night flipping between DD5.1 and DTS, I turned the volume off on the Amp and sat right next to the player (literally ear 10cm from it).

End results on my machine I hear no difference between the two.

I actually have a digital sound meter on order at the minute so could measure with that, but I am sure that my ears are good enough to notice a big difference. Certainly to notice enough that would be heard from the other side of the room with a film playing.

Not sure what to say really will be interesting to hear how other peoples tests went last night.

Dave.

16. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'll do an SPL meter test on mine this afternoon. Last night I tried U571 DTS and had many breakups during the depth charged scene I was demoing for a pal.

Mark.