1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ22 Dave & FMJ25 versus Denon 3801

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rkb, Jan 18, 2004.

1. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi
    I considering changing my Denon 3801 to separates- using the FMJ's above.

What would the FMJ performance be equivalent to in the integrated AV amp world?

Or should I keep the Denon 3801 for processing and add Arcam amps to the pre-out to improve performance that way.

Not too bothered by 6.1 or 7.1 (even though Denon is 7 channel)- prefer to have best 5.1 performance with good 2 channel cd replay.

Any observations from FMJ owners would be most welcome.
    I can get the FMJs exdem for around £1800 and maybe a bit less than that 2nd hand. Do you think that is reasonably priced for the performance/age of the units?

Thanks

rkb

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Speaking as someone who went from FJM A22 + dave + P25.3 back to a Denon 3802 the Arcams are streets ahead sound wise, especially on 2 channel stereo.

One thing is the DD / DTS decoding is not as "pin sharp" as the Denon but I do prefer the Arcam. Oh, you'll also loose the second zone (or 7.1), the fancy surround modes (the Arcam has a few but not many), DPL II and DTS NEO 6. Depends how often you use those modes?

Why did I change from Arcam to Denon? As a cheap stopgap on the way to a Bryston 1.7 + 4B SST + 6B SST :)

3. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Fraggle- a useful insight.

I don't use any of the DSP modes on the Denon and have only used 6.1 occassionally and never 2 zone. I've almost given up listening to CDs since I merged my music and cinema set-up into the Denon 3801.

The Denon is really good with movies but below average with music IMHO. Also not getting the best out of my B&W P5's.

Thanks again for the feedback- looks like an upgrade is on the cards...

regards

rkb