• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

FMJ T31 tuner

phil grimes

Standard Member
Anyone any thoughts on arcam tuners? Fm is widely debated as better than dab. The fmj t31 certainly is good value but how does it compare to cyrus or meridian tuners for example?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
No, more like no-one can be *rsed because it's Christmas Day and they have better things to do. Be patient, you'll get an answer eventually.

Chill.

Clem

LPspinner

Hi there Guys:

The Arcam Tuners are not bad at all. If you need a tuner that cosmetically matches the rest of an Arcam FMJ Setup then the T31 is the one to get. However, if you are running a Diva based set up then you will probably want the T61. It also worth mentioning that the T31 and the T61 is the same on the inside it just the outside “FMJ” casing that different.

I auditioned a T61 against the Diva based DT91 (DAB/FM) and founds the DT91’s FM performance to be far superior to that of the T61. So, if you want DAB but can live without AM radio you may want to look at the DT91 or wait till Arcam release a Diva Version of the DT91. I ended up buying the DT91 based purely its FM performance alone as I’m yet to be convinced that DAB is actually any good below 192kbits/s and every one uses 128 kbits/s, which sounds hideous:thumbsdow .

If on the other hand cosmetically matching boxes are not an issue you might want to look at the Creek or the Rega tuners. These seem to be the best of the real world tuners at the moment. Alternatively, if you want all 3 bands (DAB / AM / FM) then go and look at the Denon TU1800. The Denon offers very good value for money as well as good performance on all 3 modes.

Hope this Helps.

LPSpinner

canfabulous

I have an old Arcam Alpha 7 tuner and it is still used frequently. Fabulous piece of kit with the traditional warm sound from Arcam ... Classic FM still sounds wonderful.

Allendk

Standard Member
I have the Denon TU1800 and it sounds fine FM wise. Wait for the DAB format to be sorted out before spending your own money.

phil grimes

Standard Member
yes clem I was a little impatient but thanks, also fascinated by Lpspinner thoughts.I had no idea the t31 was the same inside as t61. I have a denon tu260 already but find it a bit bright so wondered whether the arcam was an upgrade.

LPspinner

HI Guys….

Don’t get too hung up on FM tuners. These days nearly all budget and mid-priced tuners use the same Kwang-Sung AM/FM tuner and FM stereo decoder module. It’s a convenient way for manufacturers to use an off the shelf solution for a radio tuner design.

The Kwang Sung manufactured AM/FM tuner module has basically cornered the market in tuner front ends. It’s really not a bad tuner, it just that it has all but levelled out the tuner market. As a result nearly all the budget and Mid Priced tuners will pretty much perform and sound the same. I suggested the Creek or the Rega because I know Creek uses their own front end and I believe Rega also use there own bespoke unit. If you want a pretty special FM radio experience you could always try a Magnum DynaLab or a DaySequerra – But you have got to have a very deep pocket full of cash for one of those.

The Arcam DT91 tuner is a bit special because it uses the Radioscape software defined tuner and Radioscape can pull of some really neat tricks with the digitized FM signal. The DT91 is the only FM tuner I have ever heard that can completely eliminate the 19 KHz Pilot tone “whistle” and it doesn’t seem so suffer the same noise issue problems when listening to a weaker FM Station. I believe the latest Cambridge Audio Tuner also uses the same Radioscape DAB/FM module.

If you want to do the DAB thing you might want to wait until this new DABver2 with the revised AAC+ codec is fully implemented. It should fix up allot of DAB issues - at least until the DAB operators get greedy and try to screw the Bit rates down even further.

LPSPinner.

canfabulous

Hi there Guys:

The Arcam Tuners are not bad at all. If you need a tuner that cosmetically matches the rest of an Arcam FMJ Setup then the T31 is the one to get. However, if you are running a Diva based set up then you will probably want the T61. It also worth mentioning that the T31 and the T61 is the same on the inside it just the outside “FMJ” casing that different.

I auditioned a T61 against the Diva based DT91 (DAB/FM) and founds the DT91’s FM performance to be far superior to that of the T61. So, if you want DAB but can live without AM radio you may want to look at the DT91 or wait till Arcam release a Diva Version of the DT91. I ended up buying the DT91 based purely its FM performance alone as I’m yet to be convinced that DAB is actually any good below 192kbits/s and every one uses 128 kbits/s, which sounds hideous:thumbsdow .

If on the other hand cosmetically matching boxes are not an issue you might want to look at the Creek or the Rega tuners. These seem to be the best of the real world tuners at the moment. Alternatively, if you want all 3 bands (DAB / AM / FM) then go and look at the Denon TU1800. The Denon offers very good value for money as well as good performance on all 3 modes.

Hope this Helps.

LPSpinner

Really interesting stuff ... so left a thanks :D

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom