1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ P7: How does it handle movie sound?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ongopt, Jun 20, 2004.

1. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone! Great forum! I'm picking up my FMJ P7 on Monday (was supposed to get it today here in California, USA, but UPS screwed up), and was wondering what your experiences are with it on handling movie sound. I know it will do very well on music, and I hope it should sound very open and dynamic on movies.

I currently have the DV27 and just got the AV8. My speakers are Joseph Audio RM 25si for the fronts and their Cynergy channel for the center. Surrounds are Def Techs BPX. I have a 5.1 system and will be bi-amping the RM25s with the extra two channels.

Thanks and regards all,
    Pete

2. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    it will sound simply awesome :) welcome to the FMJ club :)

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I biamp my Kef Reference 203's and the movie sound is great

Enjoy

regards
    John

4. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I got my P7 yesterday. Just fantastic! Great on both movies and music. The bi-amping works very well. My initial impression is that this amp sounds dynamic, open, has excellent control and yet sounds relaxed at the same time. Just what I was looking for. It's amazing because this amp will sound even better as it breaks in.

The reviewers who stated this amp sounds better for music than movies just don't know what they are talking about. Movies no longer sound harsh but dynamic and very easy to listen to. And combine this amp with my DV27 and AV8, and one has a wonderful home theater/music system.

Hello from California and regards all!

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now try, on your FMJ DV27, a good power cord, I use Van Den Hul Mainsstream, good supports, I use Stillpoints, (tried Audioprism Isobearing with good results too), some Stillpoints ERS inside if you have RF problems, and you wont believe the improvement, I assume you have a good digital IC, I use a cheapish Apogee WideEye, very good sound indeed... :cool:

6. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the advice! I, in fact, do use Analysis Plus Power Oval power cords on my DV27 and AV8. On the P7 I use the heavier gauge Analysis Plus Power 10.

I use Black Diamond Racing Cones under all my equipment. Funny you should mention Stillpoints and ERS. My friend, Gary Brashear, is the California dealer for Stillpoints and ERS. I'm already using ERS sheets ( the cheapest but most amazing tweak there is!), and Gary is coming over tomorrow night to demo Stillpoints. Small world!

I also use Townsound Siesmic Sinks under the DV27 and AV8. The Sinks are getting old, but I can't find a dealer in the USA. If anyone knows where I can get more Siesmic Sinks, please let me know.

Regards,
    Pete

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see you did your "tunning", most people, (including me not that long ago), think that it is voodoo, but it made my FMJ as good as anything I compared it with in my system, even twice as expensive... :cool:

As you said, small world, the guy that recommended the Stillpoints also uses Seismic Sincs under the cones under his player, please compare with and without, when you test the Stillpoints, and let me know if they make any noticeable difference... :rolleyes:

My system:

8. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Antonio,

My friend Gary came around with his Stillpoints and ERS sheets. I bought 4 more ERS sheets (absolutely fantastic improvements!) and listened to the Stillpoints. Yes, they are a little quiter than the Black Diamond Racing Cones (BDR), but I just could not spend anymore money on them ($300 USD for a set of 3). My wife would have killed me, especially since I just bought the Arcam P7, AV8, and DV27 in the last three months.

It's amazing just how good the Arcam gear can sound with the ERS sheets, upgraded power cords and room tuning (which I have done extensively).

Regards,
    Pete

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been saying that again and again, but no one hears me... :rolleyes:

John Dawson should test ERS, I am sure he would include it on the FMJ players, such large improvement for the cost... :cool:

I had to try their cones, and the only way was buying, got demos, slightly cheaper... :smashin:

Another tweak I tried lately, Soundcare Superspikes under speakers and subwoofers, very good for the price, with the bonus of absorbing some of the noise to the neighbours...

10. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antonio,
    Can you point me to the Stillpoints and the ERS sheets?

Cheers
    John

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Stillpoints ERS

At about $20 a sheet in the USA, if I remember well, it is a steal... :smashin:

I used two sheets to cover the inside of the lid of the DV27, amazing, at least as good as the TAG DVD player and a TEAC T1 transport fully modded, Thricord clock 4, and all... :rolleyes:

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Antonio.

13. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antonio,

Try 4" strips of ERS taped at either end of your digital cable. Prepare to be amazed!

Pete

15. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm... I used all of my stuff, but my Apogee WideEye with Audioquest silver RCAs sounds very smooth, doesnt sound like it is picking any RF... :confused:

16. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Antonio,

That's what I thought about my system before I started using ERS. I thought I had a very open and smooth sounding one too, until I kept adding the ERS sheets. I do believe, however, that there is a point where you can add too many of these things, although I haven't reached that point yet.

The more ERS you add, the more your music/home theater becomes open, dynamic and--most importantly-- relaxed. I have ERS sheets on top of my DV27, under my P7, on my AV8, covering where my power cords intersect behind my racks, and on the ends of my digital cable.

How do you know these things really make a difference. Well, I got used to the sound of all the ERS sheets in my system. Then I took just one away from under the P7. The soundstage flattened out. Then I took the ERS sheet off the preamp. The sound closed in even more. Finally, and most importantly, I took the ERS sheet off the DV27, and the whole soundstage went completely flat, hard and lifeless. Even just changing the position of the ERS sheets by 1/2 inch or more can change the sound. Too far one way, and the sound softens up too much. Too far the other way, the sounds hardens up a little too much, keeping in mind that this is still far better than having no ERS sheet in place. But position the sheet just right, and the sound becomes more focused, locked in and with just the right amount of dynamics. As you can surmise, this does take a little experimenting.

I mean the sound of the Arcams all by themselves is very nice, and that is not to say that Arcam gear is lifeless, but to hear what good equipment can do with the maximum of RF and EMI elimination by using these ERS sheets is startling! You get spoiled by what these sheet can do, and when you take them out, everything just seems dull. I believe EMI elimination is what the ERS sheets are doing the most in our homes. EMI (electromagnetic interference) comes mostly from our own audio gear and household appliances. A great deal of RFI (radio frequency interference) is already being filtered out by the walls in your house, especially here in California which uses stucco (acts as a faraday cage blocking RFI). I know this is true by what happens to my cell phone when I try to use it in my house: reception is just not very good.

So in another words, the ERS sheets are showing you the true potential of the Arcam (or any audio) gear when RF and EMI are eliminated to their maximum.

Regards,
    Pete

17. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link Pete

John

18. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a little limited, I cannot try things before I buy if they are not sold here, it took 1 month for the ERS to arrive to my house, and I have to pay taxes, customs handling, the works, it pisses me off... :mad:

Anyway, a friend ordered ERS, I will try to borrow some to test, I had 2 strips 8" x 1", used one wraped around the external supply of the cabletv box, and half the other separating the 3 plugs, digital out, aerial in and aerial out, there was leakage going to the TV, so the remaining 4" are now around the end of the digital cable, processor side, didnt have a chance to test yet... :blush:

Also, the Van Den Hul Mainsstreams do a very good job filtering, and I already have such nice clean sound, even from cable, that now I am only trying small tweaks to keep me busy... :cool:

19. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Antonio,

Ah...once you get into tweaking, it never ends! :). If you really want your music to sounds its best, unplug your cable box. Cable and satellite boxes are the worst source of line noise pollution there are. You are pulling in all sorts of RF from a long cable line running from outside to inside of your house. Plus, these boxes are causing ground loops. Even Arcam, in the owner's handbook for the AV8, confirms this problem. When I listen to either DVD movies or two channel analog direct sound, I unplug my satellite box. There is an absolutely huge increase in resolution.

Now, if you have the AV8, one thing you can do is push the little button (which I did) on the back. This button floats the chassis (lifts the ground) and decreases ground loops and noise considerably. The soundfield instantly becomes more relaxed and open, which is always the case when the electrical noise floor lowers. This is Arcam's great invention I believe, and is one of the things that sets it apart from other pre/pros in this price range.

Like I said....it never ends...

Regards all,
    Pete

20. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont worry, I disconnected the ground on all my gear... :smashin:

Cable is my source for about 90% of the time, and with fantastic quality too... :cool:

21. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I got a few more ERS sheets to test, believe it or not, under the Krell Showcase it did improve the sound, more open, dynamic... :eek:

Didnt do much everywhere else, power, mains, whatever, but I kept that one sheet... :rolleyes:

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Guys - Im no electrician but I assume disconnecting the ground means removing or not connecting the earth wire in the plug - doesnt this create a safety issue ?

23. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags,

Well, I have only lifted the chassis ground on the AV8 which is different than the mains plug ground. Sure, you can lift grounds. That is what equipment fuses are for. When I do lift the grounds, I will lift all grounds but one: the preamp ground. That one will be used as a common ground for all my other equipment.

Before I got Arcam gear, I had the Anthem AVM 20 pre/pro and Sunfire Cinema Grand amp. Both used only two prong plugs.

Lowrider,

I'm glad the extra ERS sheet worked for you. As I said before, the amount and placement of ERS sheets is very room and system dependent.

Regards,
    Pete

24. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rags,

Theoreticaly there is a safety issue, except with floating ground kit, like TAG, but I have always done it since I got the first separate power, otherwise hum all over...

I also left one grounded, the DVD, but now have everything ungrounded, shortly I will ground one of the subwoofers...

25. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First, I did earth one of my subwoofers, no difference in the sound of the system...

Second, I ordered a PowerPac II for my cableTV box, wich was faulty, so I returned it and am waiting for a new one, as a result I had an 8" x 1" strip of ERS left wich I wrapped around the first 4" of the mains block cable, linning 5" of plastic tube I use to hide/protect some of my cables. Well, this stuff keeps on amazing me, cleaner, more open sound again, tons of electronic garbagge in my house, I guess... :rolleyes:

26. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Antonio,

I know what you mean about ERS sheets! I cut a few narrow strips and placed them over the speaker terminals on the back of my speakers. I got the same results as you. Amazing stuff! One of the best and cheapest tweaks there is.

Regards,
    Pete

27. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tested removing the ERS sheet under the processor, but with the bit around the mains cable, it is almost redundant, so maybe only so much improves the sound, after that you dont need more... :confused:

28. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Antonio

Yes, you can do too much, but it depends where you place the ERS sheets.

I swear this is true: if I move the ERS sheet on top of my DV27 by only 1/16th of an inch forward or backwards, it can have a dramatic effect on the sound. There is a lock in position which I have marked and taped on the top of the DV27. I know this sounds crazy, but these changes were confirmed by an audiophile friend of mine.

Try your speaker terminals.

Regards,
    Pete

29. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I covered completely the inside of the lid of my DV27, it took two sheets minus 1" strip from each, and it is better than when I just had them sitting on top of the player...

30. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Antonio,

You are quite right. I just haven't had the energy this week to put the ERS sheet inside the DV27. Maybe I'll try on the weekend.

Regards,
    Pete