1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by fatrich, Dec 9, 2003.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi
    i am hopefully soon about to get an FMJDV27 (an older model) the Firmware at the moment is 1.8 and LT23 drive, apparently the machine works fine there is no dropout or pausing should i upgrade the firmware or just leave it alone?

What are the costs of upgrading the firmware, Arcam customer services said to me today that i have to get it done through a dealer and they would not send me the cd disc to do it myself, is this true? and finally what is the cost of getting this player upgraded from a standard dv27 to a dv27A? anyone done this and noticed a bit difference in both video and audio?

regards

richard

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Arcam *used* to send out the s'ware free of charge, certainly to registered owners - you may be in a catch 22 unless you register then ask again for the cd's ... I'm not aware of any dealer making a charge for doing it although (as they didn't sell it to you) you might need to smile sweetly and promise to buy lots of cables from them in future :)

The upgrade to dvd-a is £400 and is a return to Arcam upgrade ... they will of course upgrade the necessary firmware and software as well ...

I'm happy with having mine done ...

3. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Version 1.81 is as far as they went on the "old" Vaddis 3 spec I think. Not sure of the drive F/W though.
    Have a look at the perennial favourite http://www.envytech.co.uk/arcamdvd/

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Jon & Kev
    thankyou for your replies, i have done the deal on the unit so i should get it in 2 or 3 days time,i am going to get it upgraded straight away do i take it straight to an Arcam authorised dealer like Sevenoaks in Leeds?

cheers

richard

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rich,
    I'm in the same position with my Dv27, but although mine was upgraded a few months ago to DVD-A status its software wasn't upgraded to the latest :{. Arcam inform me that the latest version is 4.12 and any dealer should be able to do it for you in around 10 mins for no charge.

It is pain getting to the dealer as my nearest FMJ dealer is around 28 miles away and lugging that and the AV8 (which also needs the latest software upgrade) is a real hassle as there is no parking spaces near the delaer and I don't want to leave one of the units in the car unattended.

I believe that there are people on this forum who have upgraded their DV27/AV8 software themselves with out any problems, but I don't know what the consequencies are if it goes wrong, perhaps Andrew Dutton can answer that for us.

I really need to get mine upgraded as its started doing funny things, especally with DVD-A's.

Oh and by the way if its any help, when I upgraded mine to DVD-A, it took just upder 2 weeks but the front panel wasn't changed to indicate its DVD-A status. I'm not sure where it would indicate this "status", but the price for the front cover is about £50, if its on the drawer then its about £5.

Regards
    John

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Very odd.. I always get mine mailed to me... usually by ringing the helpline!. (or on some occassions via email which I then burned to a CDR)

In fact the 4.12.0 upgrade came out of the blue.. and they had started sending the cd with a little handbook with detailed instructions of what to do. I have never got the dealer to update my DV88+. They never seem to have the latest version of the software anyway.

Maybe theres been a change in policy at Arcam regarding updates.. I prefer to do it myself rather then lug a £1000 player into town and the dealers.

BTW Sticker I think they should have replaced the front of your machine. I had mine updated from DV88 to +.. no new front panel as I thought I was gong to get a sticker for the back to denote the update. About a year later when I enquired Arcam said to send the player back to them and they replaced the front panel with a DV88+ one.. (and it was a great excuse for me to have the colour changed to silver :) )

Cheers

Matt

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to call the dealer, borrow two CDs with the new version, and install it myself, I never had any problems, except one time it took a couple of tries to get it to load... :smoke:

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,
    How big is the 4.12 upgrade?

Good point about the dealers not having the latest version, that certainly was the situation the last time I enquired about 2 months ago :eek:

Shall I be cheeky and ask Arcam if they will change the necessary panels :devil:

regards
    John

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    A few meg..(3 I think) Plus 12 meg of filler files (i.e any old junk just to use space on the cd)

When I have received it via email.. I would then burn the files + a filler file from an older update disc and hey presto no problems

..Why not ring them they can only say no :)

Matt

10. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Matt
    i rang customer services yesterday and they said i would have to go through the dealer to upgrade the firmware.

just a quick one when i send it off the Arcam bar upgrading the internal circutry do they actually replace any external features? just that it seems abit hit and miss from other peoples experiences and are they suppose to upgrade to the latest firmware?

regards

richard

11. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK firmware and software are two different things.

Perhaps Arcam are more cautious about sending out firmware discs, due to the implications of a botched installation (although I don't really see how this differs to software installation). I've been sent software by Arcam before (and I would hope they will continue to do as and when required!).

I'm not sure what the latest firmware version is, but I believe it's on a separate disc. 4.12, I believe, is software only.

I received (eventually) version 3.0 AV8 software by email in May this year. This was very easy to install using the installer wizard. Hopefully Andy_Arcam will advise us re version 4 availabililty soon!

Regards

JP.

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I believe normally when u upgrade a player they should install a new faceplate if the model has changed. I think mine was a odd case due to the fact I think I wa the first to have the DV88 to (+) upgrade hence the procedures were not set in stone.. rather I was the guinea pig. As to upgrading to the latest hardware.. just request it when you send the machine in and they should do it at the same time.

Cheers

Matt

13. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I upgraded the firmware myself on my AV8. I had a problem when the flash failed and the AV8 seemed dead but it turned out to be a problem with the old libretto i was using.

Easily fixed by using a more powerful laptop.

Ask your dealer to get you the software - i'm pretty sure that arcam's intent is that the dealer should come to you and install the upgrade (given the price paid!).

It would take a _very_ serious issue for me to disconnect the AV8 to take it anywhere. I could probably get it removed in an hour or so, but re-installing would take most of the day!!

14. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I emailed arcam and got the response that upgrades now only go to the dealers.

Shame really.. I wonder if ppl have been following the procedure wrong?

I much prefered doing it myself rather than leave it to the most often ill informed dealer.. luckily I am on the latest version (4.12.0) which is still the current version.

Matt

15. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My DV27 has just arrived by courier :) looks like it will be going to Sevenoaks on Monday for the + upgrade, i shall ask them to do the firmware update whilst its on its holiday's

regards

richard

16. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

If that's now the policy then this a very annoying move by Arcam:mad: Why Arcam? That's a retrospective step in customer service! The AV8 and 4.12 software I received in the past was very easy and straight forward to install. I simply don't see why I should I should get my dealer involved. He's no more qualified to install software than I am and don't propose to disconnect and lug my gear to Sevenoaks. Am I supposed to request the software from the dealer? or do I have to get the dealer to come out and install it? Ridiculous!

Fellow owners voice your displeasure here.

Arcam please reconsider and give us loyal owners an early christmas present!

JP.

17. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well if this is the case, and Arcam have indeed made this service only available to dealers, I will be extremely disappointed.
    A main consideration in buying my player (not forgetting picture and sound quality) was the ability to keep the software bang up to date.
    I’ve read plenty of threads regarding issues with “other” manufactures and owners awaiting updates for an eternity, but used to have a wry smile to myself safe in the knowledge that Arcam would provide this service to me personally.
    My local dealer is 30 miles away, and whilst their service is exemplary, I could honestly say I was always more up to date with any current releases. They after all cannot be expected to be experts in what’s what in the latest software version for umpteen manufactures etc.
    No doubt Arcam have a certain amount of unnecessarily “dead” players due to DIYers, so perhaps there needs to be some sort of disclaimer if it’s not done via a dealer, I don’t know, but this is an unwelcome backward step as far as I’m concerned:thumbsdow

18. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    All a bit strange I must say!..
    Kevin hows the DV27 :)

Matt

19. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Fantastic thanks.
    Let's just hope I don't need any updates for it in the near future.
    :)

20. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Robocop,

Well said. Glad you share my feelings too. :( I think Arcam said in the past that the way software would be provided may have to be re thought. If this 'dealer only' decision is accurate, what a poor one! I'm very unhappy with this:thumbsdow

JP.

21. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I phoned Arcam support and requested the lastest firmare for my DV27A about three weeks ago. It arrived the very next day :).

I hope they don't make us go to dealers as my nearest dealer is over 100 miles away :(

22. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think taking the DV27 to the dealers is a pain in the proverbial, but the AV8 is a non starter with the amount of cables connected to te back. I have the following
    DVD-A = 9
    CD = 2
    DVD = 1
    DC = 3
    Satellite = 5
    PC = 1
    VCR = 3
    Plasma = 5
    Power amp = 15
    Sub = 2
    Thats 46 cables in total which really is a non starter and theres every possibility that on reconnection something could be re-connected wrongly. I'm also not happy about lugging £3,000 worth of AV equipment to the dealers and risk transit damage and or theft. Another issue I have is that my contents insurance do not cover transit risk or electronics outside of the home. So if something does happen between the dealer and my home (2 trips, there and back) I'm knackered!!! :(

Andrew Dutton/John Dawson could you please comment on the pros and cons of "self install" as far as Arcam is concerned. I believe that it is a retrospect step on Arcams part but it would be good to here the companies point of view.

Regards
    John

23. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi All,

I thought I'd re-post the following extract from my remote control query post here, as it seem's VERY relevent in light of the discussion taking place in this thread!

ps: Upon arriving home from purchasing my player, and calling Arcam to ask about the LT76 firmware disc, I too was informed by Arcam Customer Support that their policy is now to send firmware/software upgrades to dealers only.

"When I purchased my ex-dem DV27Plus last Thursday I had to wait for an extra 20 minutes while the salesman "undid" the cd software "upgrade" that he had volunteered to do. This was after I pointed out that he had actually changed the software from version 4.12 to 4.00, ie: An earlier version! He didn't have or couldn't find the firmware cd either so I'm still on LT75, not LT76."

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence does it!

Best Regards,
    KBDVD

24. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KBDVD, I think that only confirms what other people have said in this thread. I certainly have found that my "local" FMJ dealer, didn't have the latest software!!!

25. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all continuing this thread.

KBDVD - not very encouraging. This is exactly why we don't want to rely on dealers. Arcam take note.

Sticker - very good and valid points re damage/theft/insurance issues. Arcam take note.

I would encourage others to post their feelings on this unhelpful move by Arcam. Hopefully John Dawson or someone else will comment soon (hopefully positively!) taking account of the growing disatisfaction evident here.

JP.

26. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    mmmmm

In a lot of threads, John Dawson usually comes along and makes comments to upgrades etc...

Maybe he has been busy but he is notable by his absence!

Oh well.....

Might be demoing an Arcam today together with a denon 2900

should be fun

Adrian

27. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed he was browsing here this morning...;) I hope he'll have the opportunity to comment soon!

Happy xmas to all.

JP.

28. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Has there been a software update then for the DV27 to overcome sticking/skipping on certain DVD's?

I emailed Arcam a month or two ago and had no reply.

29. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy,
    I would phone Arcam about this as their response via e-mail seems to be non existant, something to do with email filtering.
    Regards
    John

30. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I remember John Dawson saying something about that too. Thanks.

No immediate rush though as all our kit is in storage for now. House move.