Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Fmj Dvd27a

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tracey, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the DV27A just a DV27 but with dvd audio capability added? I have a DV27 and just wondered if that's the only difference or if anything else has been improved, and if so, can I upgrade my DV27?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great thanks very much.:smashin:

4. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tracey,

I am looking at exactly the same upgrade path at the minute.

I spoke with Arcam the other day and they said that the upgrade would cost 400 pounds and takes between 7-14 days.

My problem is I am in Germany so shipping would add to that and delay it even longer, hence thinking about waiting a little longer as might be back working in UK soon.

If you do decide to go ahead with the upgrade can you let us know how you get on, whether you see any real improvement, etc.

Good luck,

Dave.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Mine is in being done at the moment ... been a little longer than expected due to large amount of work in at Arcam and staff holidays apparently ...

might be better to wait a few weeks until things have settled down a bit ?

I'll post when I get mine back with any observations ...

Jon

6. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You'll also get inbuilt decoding for Dolby Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS.

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine back last week, can't say I've noticed any difference on CD replay (still very good), or Picture quality (still brilliant). DVD-A is very good, but I've not given it any extended listen (busy decorating)

8. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sticker,
    Amazed you see no improvement in video quality, as I certainly do with my upgraded DV27.

9. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know whether the improvements in picture quality are supposed to come when watching interlaced or non-interlaced pictures, or both?? Just wondered as only use mine with progressive outputs and to the projector.

Dave.

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I would hypothesise that there might be a visible difference between the interlaced video outputs of a DV27 and a DV27A. There would probably be less difference between the progressive video outputs. There wouldn't be any difference in either between a DV27+ and a DV27A, obviously.

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not thinking about getting it upgraded just yet, might do when I move though. I would be interested in DVD audio if there was more choice as I can imagine it sounds fantastic but are there going to be many titles avialable or is it going to be like HDCD? I don't think there's even one HDCD disc that I would want. I would only be interested in the upgrade if it improved CD playback or if I decided to go for some DVD A discs. I think the picture quality is fantastic as it is.

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    At the moment I'm viewing through RGB SCART on to an old 28" w/s TV, so if there is an improvement it's either not perceptable to me on that TV or the TV/input doesn't take advantage.

I've a Pio 50" plasma coming in 2 weeks, hopefully then I may see a difference, but as it stands now, hand on heart, I can't see a difference.

From my experience of upgrading from a Pio 626 to the DV27, the picture quality didn't imporve that much, so it is probably the TV that is the constraint. In fact the wife has bent my ear about the extra cost of the Arcam showing very little benefit.

I should add that my DV27 prior to upgrading was one of the last DV27+
    Regards
    John

13. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you've got an early 27 then by upgrading to the A you get all the 27+ bits....I had a back to back of an early 27 vs an A and there was a noticeable improvement in picture quality and stereo audio. Standard 27 still very good tho'

14. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think mine is getting on for 2 years old, when I bought it I had to wait a while as Arcam had only just started making the black version. I suppose the best thing is to take mine into a dealer and compare a DVD27A with mine and then decide if it's worth upgrading.