FMJ DV29 or DiVA DV79

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by petey17, Mar 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. petey17

petey17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would be grateful for any advice,
    have just bought my panny 37PV500 and am trying to decice between the FMJ DV29 or DiVA DV79 for DVD playback, would the FMJ be worth the extra money or would I be better spending this on a HDMI cable for the DV79?

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    There is a £600 difference here, that is one hell of a cable when a £20 molex is likely to be fine. Piccy will be a touch better on the 29 but the screen size you will be hard pressed to see it tbh. Audio is better and this is where you will hear the difference.

3. Pezza

Pezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'd wholeheartedly concur with Nic on this one, I've recently upgraded from a 79 to a 29 and the audio is indeed noticeably better on my system. Whether it would be so on a cheapo hi-fi is doubtful however, and if you're using the speakers on your PV500 then it definitely won't be noticeable.

However, (shameless self-promoting coming up) if you're looking for a cheap deal on a '79 then my one is advertised for sale on here :D

4. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I remember reading a post months ago in which an Arcam rep stated that the video sections of the 29 and 79 were identical... I assume this information is still accurate.

I have the 79 but am considering adding the 29 for my two-channel system. This would be justified if the audio is significantly better.

5. Fidelio

Fidelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I read this as well. If you are outputing a digital signal through HDMI there is no difference in picture quality. Its over the component output where you see the differences.

Fidelio

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I agree with Nick and Pezza. The sound is a lot better on the 29 and so is the picture (well on a 8ft screen anyway :thumbsup: ). But on your current setup I dont think your going to really benefit :thumbsdow

Get a DV79 and save yourself a quite few hundred £££ :)

PS I have dealt with Pezza (hows my 29 doing? ;) ) before and would recommend dealing with him if your after a DV79 cheap :smashin:

7. Pezza

Pezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    DV29's doing spot on! Couldn't be happier with it! Well I could, just waiting for the plasma to arrive in mid-April then I can experience the pictorial goodness too :D