FMJ DV29/27A, DV79 or DV 137 for CD-DVD-A QP?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jlms4, May 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jlms4

jlms4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, everybody,
    I'm looking for my last SD DVD player for less than £800.
    as i can't afford a DV139 and solve immediately my problem, neither upgrade in 2007 for a HD equipment,
    between these 3 players, i'm looking for :
    - the best CD (and DVD-A) QP?
    - the best picture and fluidity quality (YUVfor DV27, and Hdmi for others), i have a SD VP (HD72 with YUV and Hdmi),

Sorry, i wrote DV137 instead of DV135 above.
    and in the range under £800 for used products (ex-demo or 2nd hand), what other choice with good QP in SACD and CD (and DVD soundtracks of course)? (Marantz DV9600/9500, NAD T585/M55, Yamaha 2700, Denon 3930, Rotel RDV 1092...)
    Thank you in advance for your answers.:)

NB: Here, in France, DV 139 is still fast unknown, and generally Arcam is considered as overpriced but with a superior sound quality and very hard to compare with other brand

2. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    DV29 for best CD/DVD-A playback.

I think the DV27A has better deinterlacing than the DV29, but the DV29 will probably give a sharper more detailed picture over HDMI, which will probably give you the most vibrant look.

T.

4. jlms4

jlms4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks,
    I know for the sacd playing (even for the current DV135), but it's such a pleasure to listen to these DSD multichannel recording ...
    Prices for DV27A and DV29 seems to be close, and i prefer an hdmi link for my VP.
    So, for the moment, DV29 is my first choice, but i need more answer.

5. jlms4

jlms4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A little help between DV-29 and DV 137 (DV79 and DV 27A are out of my investigations now)?
    What does DV29 hdmi output gives? 480i/p, 576i/p?(in order to know how it will perform or help an external upscaler oran internal scaler in HD videoprojector to do its job)
    Does it offer a test screen video setup? and what about Bass management on internal decoder setup?
    Thank you in advance...:)

6. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Suggest you take trip to Sevenoaks and check out the differences between the DV29 whilst they still have stock and the DV137.. I think it'll be a close call. DV29 is very good but very basic. DV29 does not scale... so only does 480 - 576 p or i. If you want the new tech gizmos and value then the DV137 is your answer. There's no set up wizard on the DV29 but you can use Digital Video Essentials which is pretty much the same as the wizard and you'll get the same results. DV29 doesn't offer much in the way of anything management. Oh yes, I forgot.. DV29 still has a basic x1 reader so you still see the 1 sec pause at layer change... Very annoying for a top class player. DV137 has a buffer.

You might also want to look at the Denon 3930.. It's very highly rated....

7. jlms4

jlms4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks,
    what you wrote was that i woul'nt have read!
    As you got now a DV139 (out of my financial capacity), i understand your opinion on DV29, but Denon 3930 is far too poor in sound quality: even if it's video abilities are "current top of range" and its price very interesting under £850, ie £1000 under the DV139.
    DO I BUY 2 players? for a total amount near the DV137 SRP?
    I prefer not to, and the device that can do a good job with CD, SACD, DVD-A can also do a better job on DVD soundtrack? And almost, a good decoding because i use mostly now the decoder of my HKS 2.0 instead of the internal dvd one (except fur multichannel audio).
    Make a trip to UK to hear the difference between 2 arcam is impossible for me as i live in south of france!But it's almost impossible too to test it here as only few shop are Arcam authorized dealer, and less more have the 137 (or the 139!)
    I will wait some days and then make my decision, may be for a Marantz DV9600, available and more affordable, all in one and with good quality play and video .

8. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I undestand your dilemma, good luck anyway.

9. jlms4

jlms4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    End of dimemna, enquiries and calculating everything : i grab the oppportunity to buy 2nd hand, under warranty, Marantz DV9600 ay a very good price.
    Not an Arcam , but i make my decision : my last SD DVD will be this one.
    Thanks for all.