1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ DV27A Mods

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by AndoverRed, Oct 17, 2004.

1. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing an FMJ DV27A for a damn good price.

However, I am a little concerned regarding the 'future-proofness' of this product. There is no support for HDMI or Firewire (iLink equivalent). I plan to add an LCD monitor to my portfolio next year.

I know Arcam develop upgrades and modifications to their products. Therefore, are there plans to add HDMI and Firewire support to the DV27A in the future?

Is it a case of saving for a DV29 instead?!

Regards,

Mark

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe some from Arcam have already stated in these forums that the DV27A can not be upgraded to support HDMI. But since the DV27A uses the Silicon Image deinterlacer it really does provide excellent progressive video.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    There will be no further upgrades (with the possible exception of minor SW fixes or updates) to the DV27A. It is a huge issue to add things like HDMI to existing HW designs, which is why we did it differently (by starting again) for the DV29.

Having said that the analogue video and audio quality of the DV27A (and obviously DV29) is extremely good, so there may not be much benefit with HDMI into a future LCD monitor. It all depends how good a job the display manufacturer does.

Hope this helps.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    With a prog scan feed to a pj from the 27a, trust me, you won't care about HDMI etc.

It's that good.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well the thing is, using HDMI, you might have more precise resolution with no analogue distortion such as ringing, but your still at the mercy of the deinterlacer in the Zoran Vaddis, which may or may not be as good as the sil 504 deinterlacer in the DV27A, i'm willing to bet that it doesn't have as good cadence detection as the sil 504. The analogue output from the DV29 is oversampled by the 12bit 216mhz DACs, which doesn't agree with the ADC analogue to digital converter in my screen as well as the output from the DV27A - with horizontal resolution test patterns the picture looks better from the DV27A on my screen. The analogue dacs in the 27A are good enough to display every fine detail right upto the limit of dvd's resolution, little difference between it's output and digital output, that's one of the reasons why I bought it. It's a pity that the sil 504 board has been discontinued in favour of HDMI in my opinion, although my opinion might change if I had a screen with HDMI!

6. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the comments.

I have just ordered a DV27A for £800. Not bad eh?

I just need to find a suitable AV amp or receiver to partner with it! :)

7. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    well not done as well as you pick up my DV27A tomorrow for £950 off to sell my DV88. :thumbsup: