FMJ DV27 Strealth upgrade.... Myth or Reality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevshed, Jan 22, 2003.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Evenin' all.

Been scanning the forum threads on the subject of changes in production on the DV27. Granted, most of the posts are late last year, but i wasnt on the forum regularly then, so would like to revisit if you dont mind.

Am slightly concerned, that after paying list for a very expensive player that changes may have been made to significantly inprove it - such as (just things i saw on the threads, dont know if true.false)

New motherboard design - enabling cheaper DVD-Audio upgrade path. - Does this mean you will have 2 upgrade options on the market John?

New MPEG Decoder and New Deinterlacer.....:rolleyes:

If this is the case, to me it looks like a new player almost - where is the trade-in program? Option to send unit back for rework etc?

Appreciate things move on, component availability varies etc, but its really frustrating when you break to the bank to buy the best, that not only is it new and improved 2 minutes later - your not even told about it.:eek:

Sorry for the rant.

Any truth in the above? Views please? Thx :)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    There will be an upgrade program. The new mpeg decoder has prog scan as standard. It is not as good as the sil board that you have though. I am sure John and Arcam will look after premium customers like yourself....

Gordon

3. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    hahah, thanks Gordon.... your up late :)

Well, thats the answer i want to see.... appreciate this stuff goes out of date too fast... but if im gonna match a new proc/amp i want it as shiney and high perf as possible.

Kev ;)

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    AFAIK the current run of dv27's have the vaddis 5 chip now rather than the vaddis 3 ... and this makes the dvd-a upgrade a one step process rather than a two step with older dv27s ...

Although I'm sure John Dawson will be along soon to confirm/correct me and hopefully reply to my PM ;-)

rgds

Jon

5. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    whats the PM then Jont... dont be shy :) clearly your on the blagg for something good hehe

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Nahh ... just the date that I can get my dv27 in for its dvd-a upgrade ... now that I've the AV8 to handle it :)

J

7. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ahhh, im on the same wavelength my man.... im for that as soon as i get my AV8. Does the unit have to go back then... was hoping i could get a board and do it myself (im an engineer by trade)

8. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    When I discussed it with John at the Glasgow AV show last year he said it would need to be a back to factory fit unless there were some competent dealers ... guess doing two boards is even more exacting ?

J

9. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    ok, interesting... i guess i dont mind, as long as the turnaround is reasonable.... certainly no dealers in my area that id consider competent :(

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Last time we got any info on this we were told that you would be able to upgrade to the Vaddis 5 processor for about £250, that the DVD-Audio upgrade would cost about £200, but that both would be bundled (for older players) for about £400. You have to have the Vaddis 5 processor (which current players already have) in order to have the DVD-A upgrade.

As mentioned previously although the Vaddis 5 chipset is actually capable of generating a progressive scan output (as is done in the DV88+) the results of doing so are not quite as good as you'll get out of the existing Silicon Image 503 system. So you won't actually gain much from the processor upgrade unless you want DVD-Audio.

AFAIK the DVD-A upgrade isn't yet available. I don't know about the processor upgrade.

11. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

From reading the postes on this thread - It sounds to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that unless you want DVD Audio owners of older DV27's like me are better of staying with what they have

RON

12. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    looks that way actually..... so Good news for DV27 owners everywhere :)

13. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    Just heard that they are a couple of months away still from supplying the dvd-a upgrade ... will update when I hear any more ...

rgds

Jon