FMJ DV27 for Tag DVD32FLR?

Skyman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have a dilemma which I need to resolve. I have had the Arcam for 6 months now, and overall am well pleased with its sonic and audio performance. However, I am feeling the need to upgrade (an itch we all need to scratch every now and again!), and am considering the front loading Tag with progressive scan upgrade (PSM192). This will fit in with a set-up comprising - Fujitsu plasma, Denon AVCA11SR and Sonus Faber Concerto speaker system.

I can arrange a home demo through a local dealer, but do not really want to bother unless there is going to be a noticeable difference and 'wow' factor which will mean that I will not want to return the Tag.

Any views/experiences would be appreciated.

SKYMAN

I recently demoed a Tag with AV32R against Arcam DV27/AV8, both with an Arcam 2 channel power amp. I have to say that I preffered the Arcam although there was little in it. Obviously some will prefer the Tag but I'm not sure I would bother changing if I had one or the other. THE PS board is a nice idea though as you can pass all video signals through the DVD to get prog scan on everything.

S

I tend to agree with paiger - I demoed both before deciding on the DV27 - (although I saw the top loading model). I think if you have either you couldn't really call a change an "upgrade" more a swop.:)

The PQ on the TAG is better. I demoed both the DV27 and the DVD32R at home separately on a 92" wide screen and even my wife noticed the difference saying "how can you even consider buying the Arcam after viewing the TAG" I did not really take that much notice on the sonics side to be honest as I wanted the best PQ.

Take up the offer of the home demo and decide for yourself. Then you can do a direct A to B of the two DVD players with your own audio kit. In paigers example he auditioned the players with two different processors as well so was not really comparing apples with apples.

The tag does not have an analogue out which also sway your decision. Use your own ears to decide rather than other peoples judgement. Then you will have to consider if it is worth shelling out the extra money. I considered both and went for the Tag

Darren

You are right Darren and to be honest, I was comparing them in terms of audio only. I have not compared the video performance of each, perhaps I should have metioned that. To me, video is secondary to audio but I know to others it's the reverse.

I guess in terms of audio, we would have to compare each as a transport only as the Tag has no analogue outs. In that case, I doubt you could fit a feather between them.

For video performance, ask someone else.

S

Thanks for all the advice guys.

PQ is paramount for me, so on balance the home demo will proceed and I will enjoy judging the results. Will post again with feedback if anyone is interested.

SKYMAN

They are both very, very good players. I have an Arcam player (all my other gear is Tag – AV32, 100x5 and T32). Altough I find the Arcam to be very good, I prefer by far the Tag. I find it to be in another league. If you can go for the top loader, or even better, the new to come 192 (very expensive).
Note that the Tag doesn't read CD-RW or MP3 and the Arcam does (for some people it's important).

SkyMan,
if you want to reach the sky then there is no real alternative to TAG, but IMHO there is little sense in buying DVD32R or DVD32FLR without having an AV32R.
So, in your case do not waste your money, go for FMJ!
Regards
Pedro

Pedro

where on earth did you get that idea? I have a DVD32R and a Lexicon MC1. The Lex is better than the AV32R in sound quality. The only problem is it cannot be upgraded, although having said that the MC1 can be traded against an MC12 and the soon to arrive MC8. IMO once you have used logic 7 then there is no turning back.

Darren

It was related to his Denon. Good amp, but I'd say FMJ is much better match (MUCH better) for it than TAG

My answer was not adressed to Meridian, Lex etc owners, even if I still think it is best to pair DVD32R with AV32R (or AV192R)

Pedro

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom