FMJ DV27 Check your CD replay speed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Ward, May 22, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    A mail-pal of mine in UAE has just bought an FMJ DV27 after glowing recommendations from me and others.

He noticed straight away that his CD replay speed was 5% fast.

I checked mine and it's perfect 5 Minutes = 5 minutes.

The dealer checked with Arcam and got a reply telling him that this was consistent with an incorrect crystal being fitted to the AV board due to the fact the crystals are hand fitted.

The crystal for DVD is 24.756MHz, and the crystal for CD is 22.5792MHz. If the wrong one is fitted for the CD crystal, it will play back fast, with a 1 minute track playing in 55 seconds as described. An easy fix, a simple crystal/s replacement is on the audio board.

It was almost certainly down to human error, Arcam are second to none is dealing with problems but it may be worth checking the CD replay speed of your FMJ-DV27's.

Mark.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you read the Russ Andrews brochure called 'The Power and the Glory'?

According to that, a CDs motor is voltage controlled not crystal controlled, and so fluctations in voltage can cause a slight increase/decrease in the the playback speed...almost the difference between an overly laid back sound and one with a lot of attack!

Check out the Russ Andrews site if you're interested!

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Silencer make a big difference to a systems sound if, like me, you notice your system sounds MUCH better at certain times of the day (like after 10 at night normally!!)?

If answer=yes then my balance=my balance-40....

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Difficult to say really. I added th eleads & silencers at the same time and I did have an improvement, although I'd say at the cost of the cables etc an equipment upgrade would have been money better spent at the time.

Now I have better stuff, and even better very soon I'm really happy to have the high quality power cables.

Mark.