FMJ CD players CD23 vs CD36

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by PenguinHiFi, Sep 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi everyone,

I am offered an Arcam CD23 and a CD36. Of course, not for the same price. The CD36 is a lot cheaper than the CD23.
    I have listened to the CD36. Stunning player, even though I think it lacks a little on dynamics. I was wondering what you people think of the CD23 with the dCS DAC loaded, and the CD36.

PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG : I am not asking "Which one is better", which makes no sense. But how the sound can be compared : more dynamics ; more detail ; more air... and whatever other criterias you might think of.

As far as I am concerned, I am looking for a CD player which will offer good dynamic, good detail but not too clinical and a sound you'll enjoy and will listen to for hours...

Is the CD23 a good alternative to the CD36 ?

Here are the price I'm offered :
    - CD 23 : 435£ delivered
    - CD36 : 690£ delivered

CD36 is an ex-dem with 5 years warranty...

Regards.

Penguin HiFi

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    It doesn't look like the CD 36 is a lot cheaper to me.

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Ideally you should decide for yourself if you can listen to both.

I haven't heard either, but I've never heard anyone rave much about the CD36, which some say is not the most natural sounding player. Apparently it has good detail, but at the expense of being somewhat clinical. The CD23, on the other hand, has become a classic CD player, which many seek out 2nd hand, and is well beloved of many. And I think many feel it is Arcam's best ever.

HTH,

T.

EDIT: Good point 1pm makes about parts for the CD23. And he's obviously got his components nicely matched with the valve pre-amp.

4. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Penguin HiFi,

I haven’t heard a CD23 so I can’t comment in a comparative sense but I own a CD36 and am fully prepared to rave about it. I don’t find it clinical, simply accurate. Stunning in fact. Sure it adds little if any character (coloration) of its own but in my system I prize that with a valve preamp providing the little warmth I wanted rather than valves anywhere else. It certainly has no timing issues that I can detect.:thumbsup:

Here is a link to reviews of the FMJ players that are well worth looking at. http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/ReviewsCD36CD33.htm including some CD33 reviews that discuss comparisons with the CD23. I considered the option of second hand 23’s, 33’s and 36’s before buying my 36 new and couldn’t find any so good luck on your excellent options. However, after recent threads that indicate that CD23 parts are hard to get now, I am glad I didn’t go that way however good one sounds. The clincher for me would be the 5 year warranty.:)

5. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Crusty,

Oooopsss... seems like I inverted the CD23 and the CD36. Or that I should have written that it is a lot more expensive :)

I think I'll go for the CD23... I hope to find a good player there. And if I do not like it that much, then I think I should be able to resell it for at least the price I spent on it.

Regarding the CD23, I never heard it. But I heard the CD36. And all I can say is that I was really impressed. In fact, it is not the most "neutral" player I've heard. But "clinical" ? I don't see a hint of "clinicality" in the CD36. Of course, we all may have different opinions. But I would advise those who claim that the CD36 is "clinical" to listen to something like Atoll or Myriad. If you want to listen to something clinical, there you'll have it. Defined, good, neutral... boring. When the CD36 is all but boring !!!

ANd of course, I'll go for the link : many thanks or that one.

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

6. ajhavf

ajhavf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try to find a CD23T.

I can offer my opinion of the CD23T, musical, detailed and pretty good all round. Parts are not available for the CD23T DAC and associated interfacing components. With that in mind, I'm someone who will listen to CD23T while it works, fix if I can ( say it has a transport problem, the laser pickup on the CD23T is the current Sony 213B ), or move on if I can't and try to find something else nice. The CD33/CD36 is probably superior in technical ways, but not the most important to the music it seems, I doubt they are a slouch in any case.

7. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    ajhavf,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I am well aware that parts are not available for the CD23 or the CD23T. But, as long as I am concerned, does that matter that much ? Mechanism can be replaced, and laser also. And that are the parts that may fail. And if a DAC fails and you should pay for it, I guess at 400£, it would be wiser to get a new CD player anyways ?

Anyways, I am really looking for a CD23T. Hope to find one soon. If you happen to run into a dealer who offers one, please let me know :)

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

8. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Here are the price I'm offered :
    - CD 23 : 435£ delivered
    - CD36 : 690£ delivered

CD36 is an ex-dem with 5 years warranty...

To me it's a no brainer......

CD36 I love it to bits.... Best thing Arcam ever made! And you get 5years of service out of it... guaranteed.

Get it now... you'll never regret it! I still cannot understand those who sold their CD36 when DV139 came along. They do not compare... not even on the same planet.... CD36 is a real winner! That's my opinion....