1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fmj Av8/p7

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Alphatoner, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi

I'm looking to replace my denon AV11 with AV8/P7. Will probably be buying 2nd hand. Is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks for your help

Ian

2. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Ian,

From my (limited) experience, both products are fairly bomb proof. I would check that the 7 LED's on the P7 light up in the correct sequence. The CR80 remote supplied with the AV8 (and AVR250/300) is not the greatest design in the world, but at least it lights up in the dark.

Incidentally, there is a "significant" upgrade on the cards for the AV8, but as to when and what this will include, Arcam are keeping tight lipped!

3. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks foir that Greggles,

Do you know if the upgrade will be HW or SW? and do you know what the current SW level is?

Ian

4. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The current software version is v3.0 - which is over a year old. I guess most AV8 owners are hoping for a hardware (HDMI switching) upgrade at reasonable cost, but regrettably I think it is more likely to be software only. I'm fairly certain it will include Dolby PLIIx though (the AV8 currently only supports PLII) which Arcam have been working on for some time.

5. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a file here with version 3 software on it. The date on the file is 14 April 2003 so I conclude that version 3 is well over 2 years old.

As for HDMI switching I cannot believe Arcam will do that. Regrettably, my money is on a new model altogether and I think the AV8 is very near the end of its life in Arcam's product catalogue if it hasn't already passed it. To be honest I'm quite gutted about it and I hope Arcam prove me wrong but I doubt it.

6. mightyoakbob

mightyoakbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just thought of a couple of things you should know before buying an AV8.

1) Fed with a digital signal from a cd player or DVD player the AV8 is stunning. It is shockingly good stunning images etc.. Very very hard to beat.

2) Fed with an analogue audio signal personally I don't think it is anything special and can be easily beaten in my opinion. I have a Meridian CD player with a variable and a fixed output. If I connect it digitally it sounds just like the Meridian driving the power amp direct - very, very good. Connect to AV8 via analogue and thngs go flat.

3) The analogue inputs have a very low impedance (10K) which with some products will cause problems. I have a Quad FM4 tuner which has a low signal level output and is designed to work into pre-amps with a high input impedance. On the AV8 the FM4 is -3db down at 72Hz due to the output capacitors in the FM4 and the impedance of the AV8.

I do mostly blame Quad here for giving the FM4 a feeble output but at the same time do watch what you intend to connect to the AV8.