FMJ AV8 / P7 Combo - Advice plz...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kevshed, Jan 17, 2003.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi all....

Long time listener, first time caller :)

Being for a picture quality guy than the sound, first steps last year in my system was a Panny 42" W4 and an FMJDV27. due to budget i matched them with an AVR100 + KEF KHT2005 speaker kit. (its not a big room... so floor standers not an option - well, not without a divorce... then i cant buy anything hehe)

Ive been pleased with it since, but due to a recent windfall, im looking to upgrade the audio aspect.

Ive pretty much set my heart on matching the FMJ kit, but my local dealers dont have one, so i havent been able to audition :( .
    Clearly this means i will be hunting around nationally for a deal and will be collecting as need be (any suggestions for a dealer not adverse to discounting appreciated! - £5500 is a bit keen (sorry arcam) ).

Couple of questions ive been unable to get suitable answer for:

1- If i do this upgrade, my exisiting speakers are going to have to stay for the time being.... im very pleased with them and would prefer not to change if possible (just add 2 for for 7,1) - is this a suitable sub/sat set, or am i drastically impacting the performance of the kit (BTW: Im a cinema user really.... very music).

2- What are the Video inputs... im having difficulty finding this out for some reason... i need at least 2 components... would like 3.

3- Anyone offloading 2nd hand :p

Thanks guys.. look forward to the good advice as usual..
    Rgds
    Kev

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Listen Inn in Northampton were able to quote me a very competitive price for an Arcam AV8. You might also try Peter Tyson in Carlisle.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I would have thought that a £5,500 Arcam amp plus lifestyle speakers are a gross missmatch and a waste of the extra £5,000

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    To be honest, you really will need some better speakers to make the most of the Arcam combo. Could you not get some standmount speakers or will that cause domestic disturbance?:eek:

The Arcams would be better suited with something from M&K´s range (S150THX, S125, S85´s) or maybe some B&W´s (CDM´s) and a matching subwoofer, Velodyne perhaps?

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Just having got an AV8 (as part of an 2-stage upgrade) I can confirm that the AV8 has 3 component/rgb inputs and one component/rgb output ... so that's out of the way ...

Matching speakers ... I think that the kefs certainly aren't going to do the P7 justice ... maybe some of the smaller B&W's like the CDM 1NT and some good stands ...

If you wanted a cheaper route but keeping the AV8 as an excellent pre-processor you could look at picking up a couple of s/h arcam power amps ... from the diva range ... more suited to the kefs and then maybe upgrade again later on when you have a bigger room ?

10% is ususally the unofficial discount rate from arcam dealers ...

rgds

Jon

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Another thought ... assuming you can afford the combined cost of the AV8 / P7 ... but not also replacing speakers at the same time ...

The speakers really won't do justice ... if you're not going to replace those you may as well just spend £700 on a Pioneer 2011 ... if you even spend that much ... and spend the other £4800 on 266 DVDs (assuming average of around £18 each).

Anyway ... how about 4x B&W CDM1NT @ around £750 a pair, a B&W LCR600 @ £300 to sort your speakers out. Then buy the Arcam AV8 @ £3000 so you have the processor you desire, but insted of going for the P7 ... how about a 5 channel Rotel amp like the RMB1075 @ around £800.

A total of around £5600 (before any discount) and obviously you'll then need to spend a few hundred on stands and cables and stuff.

As for getting any discount ... I can recommend Leicester HiFi who will normally give a 10% discount.

Victoria

7. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    if your after small, what about the anthony gallos? not sure how well they would work, or further up the ladder, what about in ceiling/wall speakers - that way out of sight and will do the arcam system more justice!

8. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    guys,

thanks a lot for all your feedback.... to be honest, its what i expected.. :)

ok... looks like im gonna have to ditch the kefs.... better start sending flowers and chocs to the mrs..lol

I am planning on moving house mid-year.. there i intend to have a dedicated room.. so will invest in better speakers.. in the short term, i suspect i should buy the amp/pro before her indoors decides she wants a holiday or something....

thanks again..

i'll let you know how i get on.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,061
    It is a brilliant pre-power combo, and at least you will be heading in the right direction.

10. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Kev there is an alternative.

If your set on The AV8/P7 combo then no need to read on

Alternative is the AV8 and Active Pro studio Monitors, would probably save you a few bob too to buy yer wife something nice ;)

Bry

11. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Im pretty decided... on the combo, just need to find a way to upgrade the speakers now....

going out today to check out some B&Ws.... hoping they have the new 'invisible' range... then i might sneak them onto some plastic :)

Thanks again for the posts...

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I'd say that the B&W CDM NTs are a bit on the cheap side if you really want to justify getting an AV8/P7 combination. As a rough guide you should aim to spend about as much on the front three speakers as you do on the power amp and processor. So for example if you wanted to buy B&W Nautilus 803s (£3500) and an HTM1 centre (£1500) that would be a reasonable match for an AV8 (£3000) and a P7 (£2500): £5000/£5500. Something like the CDM NTs would be more appropriate for something like a Denon A11SR. If you were using something like a Denon A1SR or Pioneer AX10 I'd be much more inclined to upgrade CDM NT speakers than I would to upgrade the driving electronics still farther.

The above calculation goes a bit squiffy when considering sub/sat systems, of course, and even squiffier when you try and apply it to active speakers. :)

13. mikeburns

mikeburns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    A little bit cheeky but if you want to sell the AVR100 and Kef's then I would be interested.

14. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hmm, well didnt manage to get any speakers past the mrs... can anyone suggest a higher end sub/sat system that might do the trick....

NicolasB - I like your formula... and agree in principle, but i dont have 10k spend in one hit... probably like most people. If however you want to take pity and donate to my cause, i would of course gladly accept :) hehe

Cheers,
    Kev

15. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    hi-end sub/sat, take a look/listen to genelec - very nice!

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Have a look at M&K. Something like the S85 are fairly discrete standmounters. The Pro version are MPS1510 which may sound slightly better but don't come with grilles so may not pass the acid test.

Couple these with a decent sub and you'll be in AV heaven.

17. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Kevshead, I take the point about the cost. :) The question is whether you're buying a system which you expect to last you several years unchanged, or whether you're quite definitely going to upgrade half of it a year down the line (and end up spending more altogether, but less now). If you think you're definitely going to be spending 7 or 8 thousand pounds on speakers in a year or two then it might make sense to buy cheap speakers and expensive electronics now. But if you're likely to be sticking with whatever (cheap) speakers you buy now then there's no point in buying expensive electronics because it won't actually sound that much better.

18. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try the new ProAc Hexa sub sat. I'm giving it another go this weekend.

19. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks again for the posts... all useful views.

I checked out the sub/sats suggested, but they are just too big.

Looks like im going to wait until i move in the summer to buy the speakers.....may even out the whole upgrade on hold till i can do it all at the same time.

Cheers,
    Kev