1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ AV8 2channel direct - vs FMJ A32

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Stef, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm about to go multichannel (ht - dvda), but don't want to compromise (if possible) the excellent 'stereo' sound the A32 has been giving me the last 2 years.

I'm going to demo the AV8 in the coming days :) , but appreciate any feedback from users on this forum..

Give me some arguements not to go for the Parasound C2, please :zonked:

System :

FMJ A32 (used as pre) + FMJ cd23T + Parasound A52 + B&W Nautilus 805 + Rel Q201E, cables &nd interconnects Nordost

Thanks !!

KR,
    Stef

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think that the AV8 is very good in stereo but I haven't heard the A32. Your best bet (some would say only) is to listen to it yourself. What I like in stereo for an amp may not be what you like.

Regards
    John

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I have an A32 as well and the A52 Halo poweramp. My next step will be the Halo C2 . If you like the sound, why don't you keep it?

With the A32 you have heeps of options.

a). run it as a A32, fixed processor to AV
    b). preamp only, use another poweramp (i.e. A52/A51)
    C). run stereo through an AV8/C2 and then switch your A32 over to use only as a poweramp - thus giving you 2 surround channels for your choose processor.

CaM

4. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you feedback, guys..

@ sticker...yeps, you're absolutely right (certainly when spending this kind of cash)

@ Cameron... interesting stuff. Now, the N805 do seem to like the extra power from the A52, compared to the A32 internal amps. I'm going for a 4 x N805 + htm2 setup (and sub) and a 2 box solution pre+power is the way I'd like to go (will sell the A32 and use the extra cash).

Btw Bit of a shame that the C2 has no real direct analog passthrough (and I do want to keep on using the cd23t dacs), OR my luck :)

Cya,
    Stef

5. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, though maybe (I'm not sure) the C2 has analogue bypass when used with an XLR cable? If this is the case I'll run an XLR cable from my RME9632 to the C2 and move my A32 to another room...else the A32 will be kept for preamp stereo duties.

Either way I'm not going to sell my A32 as it is a lovely amp :)

CaM

6. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed Cam... using the XLR connections the C2 remains analogue (also when using the 6 channel DVDA/SACD input).

However my cd23t does not have xlr connections.

Agree the A32 is a superb amp.

Stef

7. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about getting an XLR to RCA connecter or better still an RME9632 sound card for cd reply that will be better than the cd23 :)

you could then move the cd23 & a32 to another room, add speakers and away you go....

CaM

8. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cam... add speakers = remove girlfriend (hmmm she has no XLR inputs either)
    :laugh:

Stef

9. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah yes...I have the same problem. It can be done though, timing is everyting!

good luck :)

CaM

10. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cam.... have av8 demo early next week... will certainly post some feedback

Stef

11. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so how did the demo go? how does it compare to your current kit?

thanks

CaM

12. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cam.. I hated it - no seriously I loved it. I listened to the AV8/P7 combi with DV89 as source. Difficult to judge compared to my current system (as other speakers, cables, power amp). Let's say that AV8 2channel direct seems at least on par, if not better, then the A32. Surround was more then convincing lol. Seems like Arcam cash flow will be going up in a few weeks time.. :D

KR,
    Stef

13. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting, thanks for the insights. It makes sense that the AV8 would sound better in stereo as the P7 is a mighty poweramp. I know it's difficult to figure out - but how do you think the A52 compares to the P7?

I also wonder how a C2 compares to a AV8 in stereo?

thanks

CaM

14. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cam... you're welcome.

The combi Parasound - B&W Nautilus is a very good one (dynamic / detailed). For the time being 5 channels is ok for me (so why pay extra now when opting for the P7).

The c2 seems a worthy oponent for the AV8. However I really like my FMJ cd 23T and want to keep using its ring dac (and get the Arcam sound,.....). AV8 will support this using the direct, c2 not.

In addition one day I will buy a decent turntable and play around a bit with vinyl... again, AV8 seems the better option..

KR,
    Stef

15. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, that makes sense for sure. My cd replay is via a soundcard so going to a C2 will be no problem, though it may well stay connected to my A32 as I sure like that arcam sound as well :)

I guess that would suggest that the C2 has a possible edge with feautures & home cinema where as the AV8 has a possible edge with stereo....though I'm sure there's not much in it.

thanks

CaM

16. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that would suggest that the C2 has a possible edge with feautures & home cinema where as the AV8 has a possible edge with stereo....though I'm sure there's not much in it.

I didn't compare the two soundwise, but looking at the specs this seems possible (the c2 is 7.5 ready for example).

Stef

17. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to get the best out of the AV8 as a two channel preamp, do these few things: 1. Change all unused inputs (VCR, Tape, SAT, etc) to analog direct. This cuts out all remaining DSP. 2. If using front speakers as small for movies but using them as large for music, change them to large under speaker sizes. 3. Press the little blue button in the back, which will lift the ground from the chassis. 4. Subwoofer setting should have the speaker option set to large. 5. Change the record to tape option from "source" to something other than CD or DVD. 6. THX EX option should be set to "auto".

Now save all your software changes to a preset. These changes should give you the best sound possible. The AV8 will now be a very good musical preamp.

Regards all

18. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing with us ongopt. Will definitely give it a try !

KR,
    Stef

19. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope it works for you Stef. I know it may sound crazy, but these settings really do work in my home theater/audio system.

Pete

20. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ladies and Gentlemen... the AV8 has arrived this weekend...
    It's performance is just stunning (combined with Parasound Halo A52) - I have never experienced movies/2 channel in this way.

Even our cats attempt to push me out of the sofa when I press 'play' :D

KR,
    Stef

21. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice, enjoy :)

CaM

22. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and if you are going to sell your A32 I may know a buyer....

CaM

23. Stef

Stef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer Cam, however the A32 has been sold (and the guy is very pleased with it :) )

Stef