1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FMJ A32 7.1 board & FMJ P35 (3)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by SuziB, Jul 30, 2005.

1. SuziB

SuziB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the FMJ A32 7.1 board & FMJ P35 (3) provide better sound quality than AVR300 or even the AVP700 & P1000. Don't need complex upscaling or video switching as will only conect my DVD, which in turn will be connected to the TV.

If going for the above, will the DV29 provide decent cd replay? And what speakers would be a good match.

Thanks

Suzi

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    This will offer better music performance than the AVR300 for both CD and DVD-A. For movies with Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks the AVR300 and AVP700 will do a better job at processing than the onboard processing of the players and offers more flexible speaker management.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    The DV29 provides very good CD replay, certainly on a par with some of the DiVA range cd players. I wouod recommend you book a demo with your dealer and decide for yourself whether it's CD playback is up to your standards.

As for speakers, well that is a very subjective area, again I wouod recommend you speak to your dealer and audition a few options within your budget. As a rough guide here are a few ranges I would recommend:

Monitor Audio RS and Gold Reference ranges

Epos M series

Kef iQ and XQ series.

As for subs, well itr depends on your room size but anything from the REL Strata 5 upwards would suit most people's requirements.

4. SuziB

SuziB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "movies with Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks the AVR300 and AVP700 will do a better job at processing than the onboard processing of the players and offers more flexible speaker management."

Crustyloafer many thanks for your replies - incredibly helpful. Please can you explain what you mean by 'more flexible speaker management'.

Have you ever sold (or demoed ) a system comprising FMJ A32 7.1, FMJ P35 (3) and DV29? Will book a demo at Sevenoaks in Lincoln - wish I still lived in Edinburgh as I would be quickly running to your shop...

Music is the priority but I would still like an 'impressive' sounding AV set-up for this kind of money - whilst appreciating I need the demonstation, which solution would you go for?

Again many thanks

Suzi

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    You can set the speaker distances much more accurately with the AVR300 as you can adjust them in 0.1m increments whereas using the players speaker management you can only adjust in0.3m increments.

The speaker level adjustment on the AVR300 is also more flexible allowing you to adjust all speakers levels from -10 through +10. The speaker level adjustment on the DVD players only allows you to bring the levels of channels down from 0 to -10 but there are no + adjustments, this mean you have to find the quietist speaker and then adjust all of the levels on the other speakers to match it. On the AVR300 you just adjust all of the speaker levels up or dwon until they register 75dB on the SPL meter.

6. EvilDead

EvilDead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would agree with Crustyloafer, though would say get a demo.
    I ended up with an A32 7.1 and a couple of P35s, however I went into the buying process fully expecting to come home with an AV8 and P7, stacked up against this I found the A32/P35 combo to be best with music by a decent margin. On AV the AV8/P7 was better and definately more flexible, but I was suprised the the difference wasn't larger.
    I have a DV27a which I found compared well to CD players in the £800-£1000 range, was certainly up with the CD92 that the CD192 replaced (I think). My plan would be to add a DAC at a later date rather than shell out on an extra player, but I can't say I'm displeased with it so no hurry.

7. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Unfortunately I do not have the FMJ amp line up but I have the A90 with 7.1 board and a P90/3 along with a FMJ27A.

This setup does work well. Crusty is right in saying that the speaker setup on the DVD players is a little restricted. As well as the 0.3m steps the other restriction is that there is only one distance for the rear speakers. If your room setup means that the two rear speakers are different distances from the listening position this could cause problems.

Crusty is also right in saying that the speaker level adjustments from the DVD player are from -0db downwards. However the 7.1 module also gives you speaker +/- level adjustment. However this is not as easy to get to as there is no on-screen display.

The other limitations of using the 7.1 module are:

1. No Dobly Pro-logic decoding from TV/radio
    2. No Dolby Digital processing for Digital TV/Games Consoles
    3. No Video Switching

However the sound from the system will be good. I have not heard the Dolby Digital processing from the AVR300 but the decoding provided by the DV27a is good - it is better than the DAVE module I had before.

As with all these things its personal choice.

Hope this helps

Regards