FMJ A28 Processor Mode/HT Bypass

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by SoundFan, Aug 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SoundFan

SoundFan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am not happy with the stereo sound from my AV receiver however I want the best of both worlds. I currently own a Arcam P38 power amp which is connected to my AV receiver which is doing all the surround work. BD Player/HD Satellite and PS3.

Now I have noticed that the Arcam A28/A38 has a processor mode/HT bypass.

I seriously looking into this option for stereo on my set-up but wanted to confirm if anyone is using such a set-up, meaning Av receiver to Arcam A28/A38 to Arcam Power Amp to Front Speakers. Then I can add my CD player to the set-up via the A28.

How does one set this up and what is necessary to make it work. My AV Receiver has pre-outs which I understand is the main requirement.

Please help.

Thanks

2. Jon luik

Jon luik
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the same issue connecting my Acram A38 to my Marantz AV amp. Any idea how to set up processor mode ?

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    If you are already using the P38 with your AV receiver, you are unlikely to get any real benefit from an A38 and processor mode.

All processor mode does is to set the amplifier to a fixed gain (bypassing the volume control) and effectively turning it into a power amp - so your AV receiver will act as the preamp and the A38 acts as the power amp; but this is the situation you have at the moment anyway, albeit with a P38 instead of an A38.

The only real advantage you could gain is by using the A38/P38 combo to biamp your front speakers, and you can do that anyway in your current setup by just buying a second P38 and running it in series with the one you already own.

You might get a very small improvement in sound by using the A38's preamp with your CD player, but I'd be very surprised if it would be worth the amount you'll pay for an A38 - the power amp has, IMHO, a much more significant effect on the sound than the preamp, so unless the preamp in your AV receiver is really poor, the difference as a result of upgrading is likely to be small.

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Connect a pair of phono leads from the preout sockets on your AV receiver to the "AV Play In" sockets on the A38, and another pair from the "AV Rec Out" sockets on the A38 to any line input on the AV receiver. Adjust the processor mode volume on the A38 using the test tone on the AV receiver so it matches that of your surround speakers.